Muff has Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the well wishes andinfo. Sorry it took so long to update, but I've been runningmost of the day and am so frazzled. Things are not going sogreat. I stayed up w/her most of the night, and by thismorning, she seemed to be doing better, eating greens and drinking onher own, and her poops (though only a few) were a littlebigger.

But today, she hasn't pooped at all or eaten anything to speak of, justnibbles of greens when I aggravate her with them. I startedpanicking and took her to the vet, but all she did was feel her bellyand give Laxatone to give her once a day. She also said togive pineapple juice, which I was already doing, but I did find a freshpineapple so hopefully that will help better than the frozen.And I got some simethicone & baby aspirin.

I guess the good news is, she's still hopping around and still has afighting attitude when I try to syringe feed her. But I'mscared. I wish she would eat. Not even cilantro istempting her.

Keep doing what you're doing, Doodle.It doesn't pass quickly. You have to remain diligent and shehas to get the treatments whether she likes it or not. Can'tstress the canned pumpkin enough, as well. It's loaded withfiber, and although I know that the laxatone is good, I still feel thatthe pumpkin can't be overlooked.

Hope you were able to pick up some NutriCal? I would definitely get some for that appetite.

Been thinking about you and the little one a lot. I'mgrateful for the update. Let Miff run if she wantsto. It'll help her system move, hopefully.

:pray:

-Carolyn

Doodle - I am praying for you and Muff.
You've gotten great advise from everyone. The one thing I would add, isthat when I went through this time and time again with Checkers, Ifound that simethicone, belly massages, and placing her on aheating pad (low setting with constant supervision) seemed to comforther.

I had a cardboard box that was long enough for her to stretch out in. Icut a hole in one corner to pull the hearting pad cord through, (so shewouldn't chew it!) put in the pad with a towel on top. I placed the boxon the desk, or somewhere where I could sit with her and keep her init. It was so comforting for her though, that after a few minutes shejust relaxed and stretched out, not trying to get out.

It's important to keep their body temperature up during stasis or gas episodes, so this helps in that regards, too.
I gave her simethicone every hour with a long belly massage
Every half hour or so I made her do a few laps around the room to stimulate the GI, then back to the box.

Sometimes it was all night sessions, but she came through countlessepisodes with this routine. When she went running to the bowl for a bitof oatmeal, (her favorite thing in the whole world) I knew she was outof the woods!

I continue to pray.

Muff is eating a little better now.She ate a few pieces of lettuce on her own and will eat the cilantro ifI hold it in her face. She's taking the pineapple pretty wellfrom the syringe, but still spits out the pumpkin. I hope mypost before didn't sound like I was giving up because Iwasn't. No matter how she hates it, she will continue to getthe syringed foods and meds until she's out of the woods.(Except I don't know how to make her take it when she spits it out.)

I was hoping I could get Critical Care since it's for herbivores, butno one here has it, so I did get the Nutrical. Boy, does shehate that. But she's such a sweet lil Ragamuffin and nevertries to nip me or anything as much as she hates and fightsit.

Oh, and I picked up some Bene Bac just in case but haven't given herany. It helped her once before, but that was when she hadmushy poos after her spay. Could the Bene Bac be beneficialfor stasis?

Thanks again for all the help, support and well wishes, not to mentionprayers. I really hope Muff pulls through this. :)

Kim

Benebac is good to give her as well. Igave it Koda and Norman when they went through stasis. As to the pumkinyou may want to try smearing a small bit on her legs just like youwould the nutrical.

I know hard this is not only Muffy but you also. If you ever want to talk pm me ok.

Sending healing thoughts and prayers for Muffy.

Tina

Personally, I wouldn't recommend putting anypumpkin or NutriCal on the fur if the they're molting. Hairwill stick to it and more would be ingested.

:)

-Carolyn

When Roger went into Statis I along with all theother stuff I fed him baby food meat, but someone else said meat isntall that good, to go for veggies. if I remember right. I hopeshe gets better soon.:pray:

Cristy

If her stomach is gurgling that should mean itis active and that is good. If so she will probably bepassing a lot of poop at one time. If so watch that she doesnot go back to not eating and pooping. Cilantro tends to givethe rabbits loose stools if they have too much of it. So youcould end up with loose sttols but still be fighting theproblem. Just limit how much you give her when the poopstarts.

Ed

What's going on with Muff, Doodle???

-Carolyn

Pretty much the same routine...syringes, syringes, syringes...we'reboth ssooo weary of them. Her chin is bare now from stuffdripping down her front. She will nibble a little cilantroand lettuce if I hand feed it, and she does drink some on herown. Her poops are still few, but they are gradually gettingbigger, so I hope that's a good sign.

As far the gurgling, I only hear it when I'm hugging her and my ear is right there on her.

doodle wrote:
.....but still spits out thepumpkin. I hope my post before didn't sound like Iwas giving up because I wasn't. No matter how she hates it,she will continue to get the syringed foods and meds until she's out ofthe woods. (Except I don't know how to make her take it whenshe spits it out.)

Kim

S'more did the same thing when we had to syringe pumpkin. I'd think Iwas doing really good by getting a cc or 2 into her .....look on theother side of her face and she spittin' it out the side of her mouth. Ithink she had figured out how to put her tongue on the end of thesyringe, too. I had to get the tip behind her front teeth and then waituntil she would start to mouth the syringe and then proceeded.

Someone had also suggested that we try babyfood....carrot, sweatpotatoe, squash, etc. Fruits and veggies pretty much all have fiber inthem. She liked the carrot babyfood.

Back