Moving house

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popsicles

Reaction score
So my bunny is currently in an x-pen style set up with free range of my (quite large) room when at uni, and lives free range in the kitchen at home. She is very litter trained, to the point that she won’t even wee or poo in the garden. I am moving house soon and she will have free range of all downstairs - I’m concerned about the extra distance she will have to travel to her litter tray. Would it be sensible to place another litter tray at the other end of the house, or would that just confuse her? Any other advice you can give me?

Even though she's litter trained now, she may feel the need to mark her new territory when she moves to a new location. I'd suggest starting slowly. Keep her confined to her cage for the first week to help her feel secure and safe in the new place while she gets used to the new sights, sounds & smells of that new home. (We always did this when moving to a new place with our rabbits.)

Then, when you let her out, keep it confined to the area immediately around her housing. Don't allow her the whole downstairs at once. Keep the area confined. Gradually, of course, she will work up to being able to roam the whole downstairs. Just don't give her too much space too soon. Doing that will help her during the transition and allows her to know -- for sure -- just where that litter box is. It also prevents potty accidents. What you definitely don't want is for her to accidentally potty where she shouldn't because they tend to go back to the same place again and again. Better to prevent accidents by going slowly.

If you do decide to add a second litter box, I would not do it until many weeks down the road and after she has had all that time to transition gradually to the larger area.

Thank you Blue Eyes. She actually won’t have a cage at all when we move, but I can still gradually open up an area for her to live in. Thanks for the advice!

You're welcome!
Even if you plan to keep her free roam once she's made the adjustment, I would still suggest having a "home base" cage of some sort -- a place that is hers alone and is her sanctuary.
Attached is a photo of such a "cage" that I had many years ago that served such a purpose. The door was always open, but, as you can see, they enjoyed having their own space.

The space can be small since they are not confined there.

(pardon the lack of hay. had just put it new litter and found them snuggling before I added it)

upload_2018-5-12_11-0-7.png

yeah she has a dog crate with her litter tray in, so I guess that counts as her space. But yeah like you said, not big enough to shut her in. Your set up does look cute though! And a cute pair of bunnies snuggling haha.
It’s a case of once I move I can sort out a good spot for her, but you know it’s easy to forget the layout after just viewing the house once! So will be a bit up in the air, she’s going to a bunny hotel for a couple of days while we actually move,

^ Thanks. Yeah, he was a sweetie. If I had to pick a favorite of the rabbits I've had, he'd probably be my top choice.

He had been in a hoarding situation and rescued. I was actually on Animal Planet with him after adopting him as part of the follow-up portion of the story. :D

Back