moulting?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyrul

Reaction score
Nutmeg is moulting and looks horrible. My daughter was pulling and brushing loose tufts and now she has a bald spot about the size of a quarter. Is this normal?

Bald spots do happen when a bunny is full out moulting. It's called "blowing coat". I experienced this with my Dobby. Just watch the bald spot. It should start changing pigment (coloring) in a bit (approx week). This shows that the hair is getting ready to grow back in. If the skin doesn't change color though, there could be issues there.

But sounds to me a ful "blow coat" is happening. Believe me, it's a mess and can be unnerving seeing bald spots on your rabbit, but have to say it's truly the fast way for a bunny to molt. Some take it in stages which lasts for months.

K:)

Brittany was going though this badly for the last month here. Specially on her back. But with in a few days she looked somewhat normal. The shedding has slowed down now and seems now by her tail is going though the same thing. lol She looks so funny. Her son didn't go though his first shed as badly as her. Just whenever you would pet him, it was like dandelions puffs moving in the air. lol

Right now the hair is the least of my problems. I've sick and my 14 and 10 yr olds took nutmeg, curly and cookie outside to brush and defluff them. Curly is not fond of being outside ir defluffed and we cannot find him. He has been missing since about 8 pm monday. I thought he was hiding in our shed but we cannot find him in there.
The yard is fenced in and we have check for escape points and can find nothing. The kuds and dog were in the yard with him so i am fairly certain no bird got him and other than oppossum there is nothing.

We did. My son spotted him when I had another son at the orthodontist. Since Curly doesn't really like being outside, he actually prefers his cage, he darted back in the shed and went behind some sheets or plywood. So we knew he was alive and still in the yard but he had not had access to water so I was still kind of worried. I threatened to kill him and he ignored me but did eventually run out of the shed straight for the house,then the cage, where he tried melting in the further-est corner. My son got him and took back outside to defluff him, he is losing his coat too. I trimmed his nails while Isaac gave him a head massage, then he flipped over on his back and rubbed his face til he went into a happy bunny coma.
These rabbits are going to be the death of me.

I am not sure what an x-pen is. The shed needs to be fixed or something. It has holes from water damage, our yard used to flood heavily every summer for most of the summer then the city changed something and we only get standing water when we have serious back to back storms/hurricanes.
Last week, the daughter (she has severe ADHD, OCD and tourrettes)let the rabbits out while she was gardening,it got dark from rain clouds and it was evening. The boys are predominately white and easy to see and they hang at the door so they can zip in at will, Nutmeg is brown and white, not so easy to see in the dark. Hannah thought Nutmeg was in but never checked. It poured and poured, I noticed Nutmeg was not in her cage when I was feeding and watering them before bed ... it was pouring. I was hoping and praying she was in a bedroom, which she loves to sneak into so I searched and searched, waking kids up by moving their beds ... found the naughty bunny in the yard at 3 am. She was wet from hopping around in the wet grass and very dry on her back and head. I am her favorite person again.
The rabbits cannot get out of the yard, we have blocked all gates and openings with cage wire and there is nothing dangerous in the shed, just tiles, water skis, lawn mower and bikes. And plywood.

I would pluck my french lop when he was changing coats. Hair takes about four weeks to grow so dont expect this process to be a quick one. If you pull and see bald spots (which i did also) just move on and leave that spot alone. It means new hair growth has not started in that area.

We have a collaspable gate/ fence thing that we use to block off area, the dog leaps over it like a gazelle. It does keep the rabbits in tho.
Curly seems to be totally fine and actually is more socual. I think he remembered he loves to be rubbed and scratched. Doesn't want to keave his cage however.

Cheyrul wrote:
We have a collaspable gate/ fence thing that we use to block off area, the dog leaps over it like a gazelle. It does keep the rabbits in tho.
Curly seems to be totally fine and actually is more socual. I think he remembered he loves to be rubbed and scratched. Doesn't want to keave his cage however.

Curly had a scary adventure in the outside world. Glad to hear he missed you. Congrats, it shows a bond was really starting to form. I think though, that the hesitation to leave his cage now, shows he was really scared and that cage and you were the security he realized he missed. My Willard, who's a rescue, was like that. As time passes, I think Curly will venture out again. Your TLC, that he remembered, will help him.

Also glad to hear the fence keeps the bunnies in. The dog sounds like he enjoys it too. lol

K:)

Curly has been with us since birth, so we do have a bond. He just seems to have preferred Nutmeg over me but I think that when I was watching a friend's 3y/o I kept them caged because C was so rough with them and the kiddo was with me a lot.

Curly does come out, he just prefers to be in the cage and is happiest when the door is open so he can dash back in if he wants. We are now forcing ourselves on him to get him back to where he was socially. Since Squish and Cookie love attention and are very social, they are kid favorites.

Curly has been with us since birth, so we do have a bond. He just seems to have preferred Nutmeg over me but I think that when I was watching a friend's 3y/o I kept them caged because C was so rough with them and the kiddo was with me a lot.

Curly does come out, he just prefers to be in the cage and is happiest when the door is open so he can dash back in if he wants. We are now forcing ourselves on him to get him back to where he was socially. Since Squish and Cookie love attention and are very social, they are kid favorites.

Latest posts

Back