motherless 2 week old desert babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mother could have been in an accident, the reason why she is not coming back. At two weeks they still need milk, get KMR (kitten milk replacer). Or you can feed alfalfa hay to them for a few weeks, that will give them the calcium.

I will send Randy a message and ask him what he thinks.

Here is what Randy said:

The best thing is to put them back. The mother will not be found. She only comes once a day and only very briefly and it's usually just before sunrise. Only the most experienced rehabbers can successfully rehab cottontails. And in most states, it is illegal to be in possession of wildlife. Also, in some areas, cottontails carry a very nasty bacteria known as Tularemia. Humans have little immunity to this bacteria. Even the drug treatment for this bacteria can be life threatening. Best thing-put them back. Otherwise, find a licensed rehabber.

I would put them back and if the mother has not been back within a few days of you putting them back, then take them to a licensed rehabber. I bet the mother may be back looking for them before sunrise.

If they start getting sick, looking lethargic, then you can telephone a licensed rehabber to take them in.

ok this is an update. they are doing great! they play all the time, they get milk replacer and timothy hay im going to release them tomorrow morning when its fresh and warm thank you to those who were supportive they are healthy happy extremly friendly and not eaten by a stupid squirrel :) mission accomplished.:inlove::bunnyhug:

Nancy McClelland wrote:
:pray: They are so cute.
i know i love it when they clean themselves. and puff out their cheeks :D so glad i got to help them and bring them out of shock and the cold til they got better. you should have seen them, poor babies never stood a chance. the only reason i took them in for a week was just incase if the squirrel came back, it would know they werent there anymore. so hopefully when i release these guys tomorrow they will be just fine just like the other couples of babies we have raised in situations like this. all still come back to say hello from time to time. goes to show everyone else that just because a "professional" says put em back or they will die, is not always true. sometimes all it takes is a little love and faith. thanks for the support!

Sweetie wrote:
Here is what Randy said:

The best thing is to put them back. The mother will not be found. She only comes once a day and only very briefly and it's usually just before sunrise. Only the most experienced rehabbers can successfully rehab cottontails. And in most states, it is illegal to be in possession of wildlife. Also, in some areas, cottontails carry a very nasty bacteria known as Tularemia. Humans have little immunity to this bacteria. Even the drug treatment for this bacteria can be life threatening. Best thing-put them back. Otherwise, find a licensed rehabber.
i live with an experienced rahabber with a license, we have sat up all night waiting for the mother, there was alot of blood under the deck when we found the babies so maybe she was injured and ran off to die somewhere. for those of you who keep saying its "illegal" dont worry about it please and thanks for the support

hippity18 wrote:
Sweetie wrote:
Here is what Randy said:

i live with an experienced rahabber with a license, we have sat up all night waiting for the mother, there was alot of blood under the deck when we found the babies so maybe she was injured and ran off to die somewhere. for those of you who keep saying its "illegal" dont worry about it please and thanks for the support
That could be what had happened to the mother. I will relay the part about that you live with a licensed rehabber to Randy. Please be careful so that you don't contract Tularemia from the wild rabbits. I hope that the babies do survive.

Sweetie wrote:
hippity18 wrote:
Sweetie wrote:
Here is what Randy said:

That could be what had happened to the mother. I will relay the part about that you live with a licensed rehabber to Randy. Please be careful so that you don't contract Tularemia from the wild rabbits. I hope that the babies do survive.
i will thank you so much hun. i will take pictures tommarow when i relese them k :)

I am happy that they are still alive and you think they are well enough to release =)

I would like to add a side note though - when I was younger, my mother was brought a baby jackrabbit of some kind, and we bottle fed it, ect. We ending up keeping it and although she never quite became social or tame, she did live like 5 or 6 years. (All the litter except her (mother included) were eaten by a coyote.)

MelissaPenguin wrote:
I am happy that they are still alive and you think they are well enough to release =)

I would like to add a side note though - when I was younger, my mother was brought a baby jackrabbit of some kind, and we bottle fed it, ect. We ending up keeping it and although she never quite became social or tame, she did live like 5 or 6 years. (All the litter except her (mother included) were eaten by a coyote.)
oh my goodness! thats horrible about the litter. happy to hear about the rabbit tho. thats awesome! i tried to take pictures when i let them go but they ran away so fast i couldnt get any :( so upset! but they ran right underneath my metal shed so i have a feeling i will be seeing them alot maybe i can get pictures later on have hope :innocent

i remember years ago, seeing a video about a couple who raised a hare or a jackrabbit(can't remember if they are the same, very long legged,short brown coat HUGE ears). anyway, the hare thrived with them, they saved his life and took care of him, i can't remember all of it, but the videos were so sweet.

Back