motherless 2 week old desert babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippity18

Reaction score
so i just got handed these 3 babies they look about 2 weeks old mother no where to be found my boyfriend said they were under the deck of our house and one was being eaten alive by a squirrel. what do i feed them? i cant just let them go now they will die i am sure of it, they are all extremly healthy from what i can tell, im not sure if this is the place to post this but they all have come down out of shock and im not sure what i can do to help them as far as food and water wise. pictures soon.

Our game and fish office told me once that even when eating well and seemingly unstressed baby cottontails almost invariable die in captivity and that if eyes are open and fully furred they stand a better chance being released in a safe area rather than rehabilitated. Not sure how true this is tho, I've managed many infants in the critter world but never cottontails. Hope the do ok, poor babies.

so do i, they all have their eyes open and are starting to run around i have then in a tote filled with bedding and i read up on three different websites that at 2-3 weeks old they can be introduced to small pellets and timothy hay. and a shallow bowl of water. they are all sleeping at the moment but from what my bf told me i just felt horrible for the forth baby, her ears were eaten off and her skull was crushed and ugh, it made me so mad, filthy squirrels!!!

I'd put them back where you found them ASAP and put a little fence around the nest and keep an eye on them. They do need their mother for awhile yet to survive.

I doubt the squirrel caused those injuries, but not my area of expertise.

sas :pray:

Squirrels are in most cases a tad carniverous...their favorite target is baby birds in the nest! I am working on "soft release" with a young squirrel now and I will miss him when he's gone but I still hold a grudge against the little tree rats for some of the things they do. We had to replace the entire fascia around the roof of the house last year since they had decided to chew into and nest there!

Pipp wrote:
I'd put them back where you found them ASAP and put a little fence around the nest and keep an eye on them. They do need their mother for awhile yet to survive.

I doubt the squirrel caused those injuries, but not my area of expertise.

sas :pray:
Hippity18's BF
well the mother is nowhere to be found I have been looking for a few hours and Yes the squirrel did cause the injuries
this her was taken from Wikipedia id rather give you factual evidence than my own experiences

Unlike rabbits or deer, squirrels cannot digest cellulose and must rely on foods rich in protein, carbohydrates, and fat. In temperate regions, early spring is the hardest time of year for squirrels, because buried nuts begin to sprout and are no longer available for the squirrel to eat, and new food sources have not become available yet. During these times squirrels rely heavily on the buds of trees. Squirrels' diet consists primarily of a wide variety of plant food, including nuts, seeds, conifer cones, fruits, fungi and green vegetation. However some squirrels also consume meat, especially when faced with hunger.[8][/sup] Squirrels have been known to eat insects, eggs, small birds, young snakes and smaller rodents. Indeed, some tropical species have shifted almost entirely to a diet of insects.[9][/sup]
Predatory behavior by various species of ground squirrels, particularly the thirteen-lined ground squirrel, has been noted.[10][/sup] For example, Bailey, a scientist in the 1920s, observed a thirteen-lined ground squirrel preying upon a young chicken.[11][/sup] Wistrand reported seeing this same species eating a freshly killed snake.[12][/sup] Whitaker examined the stomachs of 139 thirteen-lined ground squirrels, and found bird flesh in four of the specimens and the remains of a short-tailed shrew in one;[13][/sup] Bradley, examining white-tailed antelope squirrels' stomachs, found at least 10% of his 609 specimens' stomachs contained some type of vertebrate, mostly lizards and rodents.[14][/sup] Morgart (1985) observed a white-tailed antelope squirrel capturing and eating a silky pocket mouse

in other words squirrels are opportunistic and will eat whatever they can find I myself have observed squirrels eating eggs, lizards, and chasing baby ducks at the local lake putting the babys back where they were will ONLY sign there death sentences

DIpitydane wrote:
Squirrels are in most cases a tad carniverous...their favorite target is baby birds in the nest! I am working on "soft release" with a young squirrel now and I will miss him when he's gone but I still hold a grudge against the little tree rats for some of the things they do. We had to replace the entire fascia around the roof of the house last year since they had decided to chew into and nest there!
omg that just sucks period. good luck hun! i hope that doesnt happen again, we over here are trying so hard to keep the birds and squirrels out of our fruit trees and away from our baby chicks.

Pipp is correct ...

it is wiser to figure out a way to keep the squirrels away from them and put them back so their mother (who only feeds 2 times per day anyway) can feed them herself.

make a little nest for them and cover it with straw and/or hay placing a stick across the nest; you can determine if the mother is returning to feed if the stick has been moved.

Ihave done this myself when my dog dugup a nest in my yard and the mother rabbit does come back usually at dawn and dusk

If you put out a bunch of food for the squirrel in a different locationhe may not prey on the babies

it is against the law in most states to attempt to rehabilitate wildlife without a license. it is unfortunate the squirrel got one of them but they will have a better chance outside than inside unless they are in the hands of a rehabiltator and even then wild rabbits are difficult to save when they are that young.
At least call a rehab center in your area

http://wildliferehabinfo.org/

I once was brought some baby cottontails because construction workers accidentally killed the mother and disturbed the nest. Unfortunately, they didn't make it. Wild buns are so difficult to rehab. :(I hope they will be okay. I love squirrels but yeah, I've seen them do nasty things too. Ugh. Such is nature though.

Best of luck!

A rahabber here who I have sent a few raptors to said that baby cottontails stand about a 1 percent chance of survival in the hands of a layperson....the odds aren't that much greater with a rehabber tho some. I think he said that in general if the babies are close to 5 inches from nose to tail then have much better odds just being released back into the wild in a safe area like a honeysuckle bush or something similar and that about 90 pecent of the babies he is brought did NOT need anything more than moved to a safe location. I unfortunately know many who have tried and know of zero who ever got the babies to a "releasable" age, not that it doesn't happen, just out of the dozens I do know of, none made it :( Apparently baby cottontails are self sufficient much earlier than our domiestic rabbits and if they have to can survive without mom very very young.

angieluv wrote:
Pipp is correct ...

it is wiser to figure out a way to keep the squirrels away from them and put them back so their mother (who only feeds 2 times per day anyway) can feed them herself.

make a little nest for them and cover it with straw and/or hay placing a stick across the nest; you can determine if the mother is returning to feed if the stick has been moved.

Ihave done this myself when my dog dugup a nest in my yard and the mother rabbit does come back usually at dawn and dusk
we have done that. there is no mother. sorry to say but my mother in law has lived here on this property for 20 years and has done the same things you guys are telling me to do, the mother never comes back once a nest is disturbed so she always fed them to a certain age and then relesed them the rabbits she saved still come back to frolic in the garden every day and are healthier then ever.

It isn't unusual for the mother to never come back but the babies odds are still greater released without her than kept in human company. A rehabber will likely suggest the same as we have always been advised that if they look fully developed but in miniature, they are able to be on their own. If your mother has raised so many she must surely have a gift. They just as a rule do NOT make it. Kudo's to her. Let us know if they make it or not.

DIpitydane wrote:
A rahabber here who I have sent a few raptors to said that baby cottontails stand about a 1 percent chance of survival in the hands of a layperson....the odds aren't that much greater with a rehabber tho some. I think he said that in general if the babies are close to 5 inches from nose to tail then have much better odds just being released back into the wild in a safe area like a honeysuckle bush or something similar and that about 90 pecent of the babies he is brought did NOT need anything more than moved to a safe location. I unfortunately know many who have tried and know of zero who ever got the babies to a "releasable" age, not that it doesn't happen, just out of the dozens I do know of, none made it :( Apparently baby cottontails are self sufficient much earlier than our domiestic rabbits and if they have to can survive without mom very very young.
i will keep them for about another week just until they start getting off the milk and used to hard food and grass then they will be relesed freely with they other rabbits my mother in law has raised. we have squirrel city over here i really dont wanna feed them helpless baby rabbit for lunch you know? all they know of right now is eat sleep play and poop. i think we will be just fine thank you for this information tho hun it helps.

DIpitydane wrote:
It isn't unusual for the mother to never come back but the babies odds are still greater released without her than kept in human company. A rehabber will likely suggest the same as we have always been advised that if they look fully developed but in miniature, they are able to be on their own. If your mother has raised so many she must surely have a gift. They just as a rule do NOT make it. Kudo's to her. Let us know if they make it or not.
pictures soon.

these are the babies
14541_191253_240000000.jpg
14541_191253_310000003.jpg
14541_191253_250000001.jpg
14541_191253_350000004.jpg
playing
14541_191253_280000002.jpg
sleeping on her back

Latest posts

Back