Moss and Zaeo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaiya

Allison
Reaction score
I finally decided to start a blog about my two rabbits Moss and Zaeo!!! Here are the links to their pages, so you can see them without me having to transfer the pics from there to here.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/rabbits/moss-113.html

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/rabbits/zaeo-112.html

I am in the poultry, rabbit, and hamster 4-H, so I show these two! Even after they get old, i'll still take them to the fair every year to have fun and win me premium money! (And to see what the judge says abut Moss's breed every year. They get a new judge every two years. There is a new one this year!)

Aww what cuties! I'm glad that you've started a blog too. :) I started 4-H last year, it was kinda a disaster, our counties clubs were all really disorganized and so was the show. In the end I didn't even get to show my bunny, but I did get 17 dollars in premium money! We moved to TN this year so we'll have to wait a bit before we can join a club here, but we've heard that it's a lot better here. :)

My 4-H club is pretty organised now, it used to be a mess! It has grown quickly, and now we have about 25 members! Yikes... Last year we has 7 poultry kids. This year we have 17! I'm not sure how big the rabbit side of the club is. There are a handful of Pocket Pets kids, including me. One boy is doing steers, and a couple are doing photography, too.

Wow! Yeah last year I don't think we got our books until about May. We've been told that at the 4-H here, there aren't that many kids that actually enter something so we'll get premium money for whatever we enter. :)

OK, I haven't updated this in a while because my rabbits don't do anything interesting but sit there and look cute!

Moss is wooly, and it's kind of hard to get rid of the tiny matting spots about the size of a dime. Some of them I can cut out, but some I'm afraid to accidentally cut him! So there are still lost of tiny matting, but it's kind of hard to get to them and they're hard to get out. I have 4 different brushes that I can use, and only two work well with his fur. Any suggestions of how to get the matts out?

Zaeo hasn't been doing much. He is still very jumpy when I touch him, but my dad just built me a table that I can handle the rabbits on more. Since my rabbits are not indoor rabbits, they can't have constant attention. I will keep handling Zaeo and rewarding him so he knows I'm a good person! He has never bitten or nipped me! Good bunny!

Oh, and Zaeo has been not eating all of his pellets, about 1/8 cup left every day, so I cut back his rations. OK, if you want to be confused, keep reading!

I feed my rabbits (well, used to) 1/4 cup of pellets per day per 3 lbs of body weight. Moss is 6 lbs, so in the winter I would feed him 1/4 cup in the morning, and 1/4 cup in the evening. Zaeo is 9 lbs, so I would feed him 1/4 cup in the morning, and 1/2 cup in the evening. Now that it's summer, they don't eat as much, so I cut the rations by 1/8 cup, so I would feed Moss 1/8 cup of pellets in the morning, and 1/4 cup in the evening. Zaeo was being fed 1/4 cup in the morning, and 1/4 and 1/8 cup (3/8 cup) in the evening, but he wasn't eating about 1/8 of a cup. So now he's getting 1/4 in the morning, and 1/4 of a cup in the evening. Confused yet? XD

I didn't want to make Zaeo eat the extra pellets, as he is a New Zealand, and they are bred to gain weight easily.

Thanks for reading!

I know, bunnies don't usually do anything interesting. You can update your blog more often by writing about your life and not just your bunnies. That's what we do with our blogs.

I don't have a furry bunny but I found some links that might help.

http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Your-Rabbit%27s-Fur-Clean-and-Untangled
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110206193611AAZELDL

I hope Zaeo gets more keen to handling. It must be hard to have a skittish bunny, thank god my Ash isn't skittish.

Oh and after reading that pellet stuff I was starting to get confused. XD :biggrin:

Ya, Zaeo isn't really scared or skittish, he's actually really brave and loves chasing the chickens, duck, and dog when I let him out! He just jumps whenever he feels a hand on him. He stiffens up in the loafing position (which is why I'm using him for my show bunny! XD He's perfect for posing!) But he's not afraid. I guess he just doesn't like being touched! Maybe I could get a video...

OK, I'll look at those links, thanks!

Like a youtube link? I don't think you can upload one straight from your computer library. Oh my I'm glad Smokey isn't so wooly lol, I have a hard enough time with her shedding!

Tomorrow we head to the beach!!! It's an eight hour drive, but we go there almost every year, and it's worth it! Plus, on the way back, I might be able to pick up a new laptop!!!!

Got up to 103° F here on Monday, same day Moss got heatstroke. It's been about 90° ever since. Except for wednesday... It was 75°! Yay! Now it's back to 90°. Waah.

I haven't been in touch with any of this last year's classmates, until today. (A clue to about how old I am) - I can't wait for my first year of high school this fall!!!

It's going to be between 80° and 90° F for the rest of this week and all of next week, so Moss and Zaeo are going back outside, after being in for a week and a half!

I got 4 slivers in my right elbow, today. I think got it from standing next to a wood wall, as I usually stand with my left arm behind my back with my hand hooked around my right arm on the inside of the elbow. My mom (who is really good at getting slivers out) picked them out. Ouch...

Anyone know what VBS is? It's Vacation Bible School. My church is having it's VBS this week. I've been playing in the skit at the beginning and end of every evening! It's so fun! I play Alex, and my friend plays Sam. We are investigators, investigating questions about the Bible. All of the kids are junior investigators. I think it's more fun being a staff member than one of the kids!

Well, that's what's been going on in my life recently!

Wow, that's hot. We've been having a nice break from all the heat. Its been cloudy and rainy and to be honest I loved it! But now the weather says its going to be 85° in the next few days. I hate the heat. Can't wait until its Fall.

I hate splinters! I've gotten quite a few of them lately. They can be really painful. One time I got one in my foot and boy did it hurt! I had to walk on my tip toe with the foot with the splinter in it as it hurt very bad when I stepped down. Luckily a pair of tweezers and a warm bath did the trick! :)

Haven't ever heard of VBS. Glad you guys are having fun playing it. :)

I love the heat! I don't love what it does for the rabbits, though! Would you rather be roasting hot or freezing cold? I would be roasting hot...

Once my brother and cousin got a ton of splinters in their feet! They were mud sliding on their feet, not knowing that they were getting tons of splinters in their feet last the same time!

Probably roasting hot, lol. I don't like heat very much myself. I don't like cold either. Fall is perfect for me because its not too cool and not too hot.

Oh that must have hurt! lol.

A month and a half until the fair! This is what my entry form looked like:

4H Intermediate Poultry Fitting and Showing
4H Intermediate Rabbit Fitting and Showing
4H Intermediate Pocket Pets Fitting and Showing
4H Rabbit Herdsmanship
4H Poultry Herdsmanship
4H Poultry Judging
4H Rabbit Judging
4H Scavenger Hunt
4H Poultry Educational Poster
4H Bantam wyandotte pen of three pullets
4H Crossbreed young duck
4H Black Syrian doe, 10 months (hamster)
4H Black eyed cream banded Syrian doe 6 months (hamster)
4H New Zealand senior buck
4H Crossbreed rabbit senior buck

Animal Count: 8
Total Animal Pens Needed: 4

Like it? XD

Also, i'm clicker training one of my chickens to jump to my arm!

Today Blossom (one of my hamsters) escaped from her cage! I thought her cage was escape-proof, as it is half of a 55g tank, and the ceiling is so high!

After about an hour of searching, I sat down to eat ice-cream. Not to brag, but I have quite good hearing. Must have something to do with needing contacts... You know, how blind people can hear better and the rest of the senses are sharper? I'm not blind, though... Anyways, back on topic, I started hearing this faint scratching sound. At first I thought it was my other hamster, as it came from right about where the tank is, but she was asleep. I went and sat back down to continue eating my ice cream. I heard of again. This time louder. I silently creeped over to investigate without disturbing the noise. I traced the noise to the base of the wood shelving that the tank sits on. I called my dad into the room, saying "I think I found her!", and started to carefully remove the daycare's toys from the bottom shelf. My dad pointed out that he could see her nose poking up from behind the shelf where the wood paneling on the back had started to come off. I pushed my hand against it, trying to push it enough to let her through, but she wouldn't come out! It was open about a half inch, as much as I could get it. Occasionally she would poke her head through, then pull it back and try to escape, but she was stuck. Finally I stopped pushing on the paneling and let my dad lift up the wood shelving and move it away from the wall. Blossom tried to scurry away, but as soon as there was enough room for me, I darted in there and grabbed her by the scruff. (Only part I could grab at the moment) She started squeaking quietly and thrashing all over, trying to get away. I rested her in the palm of my hand, and she accepted the fact that she had been caught.

This is how she got away: the water bottle has velcro on it all the way around that attaches it to the side of the tank. Blossom had managed to climb up the bottle, then she had to have jumped to reach the screen covering the top of the tank, then pushed it aside and dropped about 6 ft to the floor!

I switched her with the other hamster, so now she's in the tank that's more escape-proof. It only has a small square of velcro on it, just big enough for it to hang on to the wall!

I decided to make official names for my hamsters! I have a native american background, so I decided to give the hamsters long confusing names from the Mohawk language! (Mohawk is my tribe). It's kind of funny to have a long name for such a small creature!

Hamster 1: Parveen Rajanigandha - Starry night blossoming scented flower, or Star Blossom or Blossom for short!
Hamster 2: Tanushuri Madhu Sudha - Beautiful Honey Nectar, or Honey Nectar for short!

It's been hot and dry the last several weeks. The sunset was bright red, there was so much gunk in the a atmosphere! Today we finally got a little thunder and rain, but not much. I hope it starts up again...

I stepped on a yellowjacket several days ago. Right now it's at the point where it's stopped hurting, the swelling has almost completely gone down, and one more thing... Oh, yeah! IT ITCHES LIKE CRAZY!!!!!!!!! I put some afterbite on it, and that seemed to help. It says it's for insect bites and stings... Are bees insects?

Back