Mold help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepper89

Reaction score
So what happened was Pepper spilled his water twice about a week maybe two weeks ago and i found mold (it was black looking, with what i assume was his fur.. it had white fuzz on it) yesterday under his water dish on his hay mat. I removed all his hay, hay mats, dishes etc. Anything that was in his cage was thrown out. And his cage and litter box were bleached,
Pepper is doing fine as far as i can tell. He seems to be acting normal and doing little bunny things. The only things that have changed is he is eating more hay, molting pretty heavily and going to the bathroom more... but i can't say that the hay is a bad thing. I'm glad he is eating more hay but worried he may have ingested the mold or breathed it in before i caught it. Im worried that the mold is gonna cause problems cause everything i have tried to research says death and it's freaking me out. I love my baby with all my heart and im scared of loosing him. My mom said he should be okay now that i have gotten rid of it and taken the precautions but any other suggestions or advice? I am keeping a close eye on him.

Last edited:
Hi, I think he'll be alright since you removed all molded items and hay and cleaned the cage, only I wouldn't use bleach for cleaning rabbit stuff, or just make sure it is rinsed properly after cleaning as strong chemicals are even more dangerous than mold. Vinegar is the best and it works for mold as well.
If he's eating and pooping well and acting as normal there's no need to worry.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You really gave me piece of mind. And I will use vinegar next time. I got so freaked out that I wasn't thinking about the vinegar. He is eating and acting normal my sister and I have been watching him. Thank you so much again! :) I really appreciate it!

If he's acting and eating normally, I would think he's fine. If he had ingested the mold it would have made him really sick and is a change that would be very noticeable.

Could someone please help me, I found some white small mold on my rabbit poops, I assume it is mold, its not like fuzz between all of them, its more like some little hairs on each one individually. Also found some red liquid with a little white liquid in it, maybe it was from the pee, but I dont know that caused that neither. Around 2 weeks ago, I found maggots in her litter box, they were not small but neither fully grown, I did some research and found that maybe they were because of flies, they looked a little big. I dont know if becase its hot here has something to do with it. For reference, I clean my rabbits cage and litter box once in two days. I give him veggies but sometimes they are a little wet, hay and pellets, and i change the water everyday. Could someone please please tell me whats going on, Im really worried, thank you so much.

Latest posts

Back