Missyscove's New Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I'm so sorry about Fiona. She was such a beautiful little girl! (Aren't Dutchies always so sweet?) She was one very loved bunny, as can be seen from your photos. (((HUGS))) to you for your loss, as well as to your mom for taking care of her while you were away. :hug2:

As for your field trip to Kenya...what an awesome opportunity you had! The photos are beautiful; stunning countryside and such amazing wildlife. I can only imagine what it would have been like to experience all of this first-hand, especially the zebras fighting and the giraffe loping across the plain. (I once saw a stuffed, mounted lion - I think it was at the Halifax International Airport - he was on display in a huge showcase near the entrance, and when I walked up to it, was just blown away by the size and overwhelming presence of this animal. Seeing them on tv or in print is one thing, but up close - or from a distance, live and in its natural state - is something entirely different.

The first picture you posted of the Colobus monkey made me smile. He looks like some sort of tribal elder, an old soul with centuries of wisdom behind those eyes, all the while sporting a pretty rad haircut. ;o)

Patti, I actually did contact him and he gave me some tips re. Ithaca winter driving.

Bassetluv, it's funny you say that because the photo editing program I usually use, Picasa, kept trying to get me to tag his face as a person.

missyscove wrote:
Patti, I actually did contact him and he gave me some tips re. Ithaca winter driving.

You two should get together some time. He's really a great guy. I've been to his house and he has visited mine. I also met up with him in Columbia, SC and Tampa once.

Such a great blog! I love all the pictures and stories. Normally, I'd bug you about posting more but you are such a crazy busy person that I think you're entitled to the time away from your blog :pLol. Seriously, take care and looking forward to more news!

Almost halfway through the semester and loving it, though it's super stressful. I was going to focus this post on animal related things, but since I'm an Animal Science major, it seems that everything I do is animal related...

I'm an officer in a livestock club at my school. Every spring we have a student-run livestock show so we've started getting ready for that by halterbreaking 6 beef heifers. It's really something to see them go from terrified of us to tolerant enough to stand around for a neck scratch in just a few weeks.
I think my favorite class this semester is Sheep. I didn't have too much sheep experience before but it's such a great class. Our sheep labs are especially fun. The first week we went out to the T&R and got hands-on experience sorting wool, docking tails, vaccinating and tagging ears. The next week we practiced moving sheep around, sorting them and flipping them to trim feet. So-not what people expect when they hear "ivy league education," you know? We do work with computer models and take quizzes and tests and all that jazz too, don't worry.
I also volunteer down at the vet school to socialize the research animals, which right now is just dogs and cats though they've had buns in the past. I go with my roommate right after our microbio lab and it's a great stress relief. Lately she's been putting us in with 6-10 adult beagles to socialize (they're in individual kennels and we take them out and play with, brush and cuddle them in the larger room) and then ending our time with this 4 month old puppy. He's adorable and loves to play fetch with his squeaky toys - really the perfect end to a hard day.
I'm also riding twice a week this semester. I'm really proud of how my riding has come along over the past three years. The other day I got there and saw I'd been assigned one of the more challenging horses and I was kind of disappointed because he and I had had some bad experiences in the past but once I was on him he was pretty good and when he started misbehaving I felt like I was doing a good job getting him back on track which was really rewarding. In my friday lesson though I ended up on a horse who was a real scardey-cat. He spooked at the sound of a snow shovel outside and I ended up with my butt in the dirt. He kept shying away from that part of the ring all through the lesson, but only managed to get me off once more and that time I landed on my feet. I joked that he just wanted me to practice mounting. None of my falls were that bad - I just have a bruised ego and a sore butt.

for those of you that love pictures:
A Tufted Titmouse outside our window, in the snow

3499jb7.jpg

So you know those beef heifers we've been halterbreaking... today we had to treat them for ringworm. We'd noticed some thin hair patches that we thought were old ringworm that had healed, but then they got bigger so we had to notify our adviser and the woman that runs our teaching barn about them. Today 6 of us club officers/members met up with Jessica who runs the teaching barn. We got our heifers haltered and tied to a fence (we haven't gotten them to the leading around stage yet.) then clipped, combed and (diluted) bleached their ringworm spots.
As far as zoonoses go, ringworm is at the top of my "ones I wouldn't mind so much getting" list, but trying to explain that to some of our members is a little tricky. There's a careful balance between the "yeah so that waiver you signed, if you get ringworm you can't sue us and if you're immunocompromised don't come over any more" and the "hey we need help, it's just ringworm, if you get it all you need is a lil' fungal cream."
In better news, our coveralls arrived today. I already had a pair of my own but I budgeted for them and the university agreed to fund us so now our club has 6 new coveralls we can wear when doing things like working with cattle with zoonooses.

This week I have an unusually small load (only 1 test and 2 quizzes) so I decided to enjoy my weekend. Yesterday I went to the Rosamond Gifford Zoo in Syracuse with my boyfriend and then to Chipotle (I can only go so long without Mexican or Mexican-inspired food).
Here are a few pictures from the Zoo.

Spectacled bear
358tfva.jpg

Wolf
2v0flo4.jpg

Amur Tiger
214qu5s.jpg

Bighorn Sheep
296ixq9.jpg

Woodduck
2gydop0.jpg

Lemur
2ypaj9j.jpg

Patas Monkey
2lp82g.jpg

Lion
30xbeo2.jpg

missyscove wrote:

Spectacled bear
358tfva.jpg

[/quote]

This spectacled bear looks like he's got his spectacles on sideways. Maybe he's not a morning bear... ;)

I'm a grandma! Well, sort of.
My sheep class got a flock of 12 ewes ready to lamb. We were split into teams of 4-5 students with one team assigned to each ewe. The whole class has been rotating chores and lamb checks. Yesterday around 11 am, our ewe lambed.

Her first two lambs both came out backward - a ewe lamb and then a ram lamb. I restrained the ewe while our professor guided my teammates on pulling the lambs since she'd been in labor for about an hour without any real signs of progress. A grad student is doing a study involving artificial rearing and has been taking ram lambs from ewes with at least one other healthy lamb, so our first ram lamb went to him. Our ewe looked like she was still in labor, but we couldn't feel any lambs so our professor told us to check again in an hour. We broke for lunch and an hour later we went back in. This time I gloved up. I pulled out a ram lamb who did come out front feet first, but his head was twisted back; sadly he was still born. Admittedly, a more experienced person probably would have been able to tell and get his head in the right position, but we're not sure what exactly caused his death. On Wednesday a vet from the vet school is going to necropsy all of our dead lambs for us. After that third lamb I went back in with a clean glove just to make sure there weren't any more (not actually expecting it) and then pulled another lamb, this time a ewe coming backwards. We cleared her mouth and saw her lift her head and our whole team cheered.
We stayed around until we were sure that both of our ewe lambs had nursed and then came back later that night to tag their ears and paint the numbers on their sides.

No description of lambs is complete without pictures, so...

mom and her first two lambs ram on left, ewe on right
xddp93.jpg

the first ewe lamb, a few hours after birth
nh0wwk.jpg

Mom and the two ewe lambs
2j480tv.jpg

huou9z.jpg

Me and the ewe I pulled when she was about 12 hours old.
5x7nf5.jpg

It was an incredible learning experience and something I'll never forget.

Here's a video of mom and the first two lambs.
[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/UF4ySR8li6U&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

I know, I know, I'm really really bad at updating my blog...
I spent my summer in San Antonio interning at the zoo. I signed a confidentiality agreement and I'm not allowed to post any pictures to the internet but you can see some of the flamingos I worked with here
http://www.mysanantonio.com/slidesh...mingo-Walk-at-S-A-Zoo-31156.php#photo-1636152

I've been back at school for about 6 weeks now. I'm taking some cool classes and I just started a job copy editing a textbook which is pretty fun. I just submitted my VMCAS (like the common app for vet school) but I'm still working on some supplements.

Today is Timmy's 5th gotcha day. I sent him some toys and my mom sent me this picture.
mh7vhv.jpg

Okay okay, new pictures of Timmy! I put him in his harness and took him out on the deck today to enjoy the nice weather.

IMG_9825.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

Latest posts

Back