Missyscove's New Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missyscove

Christina - Moderator
Reaction score
First off, here's my old blog.

A little about me:

I'm a 19 (for 2 more weeks) year old college student. I just finished my second year as an Animal Science undergrad at Cornell University. On breaks, like right now, I return home to Los Angeles where I was raised. At my mom's house, where I spend the majority of my time, we have two rabbits, Fiona and Timmy, and a 14 year old golden retriever, Missy.

Fiona was adopted August 4, 2006 from a local animal shelter and Timmy October 1, 2006 from the animal shelter where I volunteered.

Today I took their NIC cages apart, cleaned them, and re zip-tied a lot of them.

My brother recently got a new camera, so I bought his Canon Digital Rebel XTi off him, and I love it. It's perfect for bun pictures!

Here's a few pictures from today

Fiona's incision from her mammary tumor removal: all healed up, now the fur needs to grow back

IMG_1174.jpg

My Fiona girl
IMG_1139.jpg

You want me to do what with that ball?
IMG_1156.jpg

Mine
IMG_1172.jpg

I'll think about it...
IMG_1169.jpg

Someone has been messing with my box...
IMG_1165.jpg

In case there's any doubt to how Timmy feels about me
IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

And now some general shots of the cages. Each rabbit has a 2x2x3 NIC cage. Their cages are mirror images of eachother. Fiona's is mostly white grids; Timmy's is mostly silver.

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

In this one you can see how veggie time works around here... the combination of my lazy attitude and my desire for them to have to exercise and stretch a bit to get to their lettuce means I just dump it on top of the cage and then they stretch up to get to it.
IMG_1181.jpg

We've been growing little pots of grass for the buns out in the backyard and today I got some pictures of Timmy enjoying his out-of-cage time in the hallway with one of the pots of grass.

s4xstl.jpg

i6ms07.jpg

wv5ssz.jpg

261kugy.jpg

Cute pictures! :) I love their lettuce set-up. Maybe I should start sticking lettuce leaves around my bunny's cages... :ponder:

Your Timmy reminds me of my Sammi! The facial expressions and everything! ;) Is Timmy a big(ger) bunny, or a smaller one?

kherrmann3 wrote:
Your Timmy reminds me of my Sammi! The facial expressions and everything! ;) Is Timmy a big(ger) bunny, or a smaller one?

I was going to say the same thing! When I saw the pic, I thought it was Sammi.

Glad to hear Fiona is healing nicely. Great set up for their home. I like the idea of the grass in the house. I'm always afraid to let them try the one outside with the bugs and any chemical/pesticide from the lawn.

kherrmann3 wrote:
Timmy is probably 4.5 lbs - so not tiny, but not huge either. They're about the same size, but Timmy is just more of a solid bun.

Nice blog Christina.

Are they not bonded? If they are can I ask a stupid question, why the separate cages?

Glad to see Fiona is healing.

Susan:)

They're not bonded.
They were, then got in a big fight and we had to split them up. I got them to the point where I could let them out together, then went to a summer program for 6 weeks and my mom stopped letting them out together.
It's been 2 years since then. When I come home on breaks (like right now) I try them out together, but still no real progress.

I have some bad news and some good news to share.
The bad news is that two days ago, on August 2, we had to have our 14 year old golden retriever, Missy, put to sleep. When we woke up that morning her back legs had essentially just given up on her. She was a great dog and my best friend, but now she's at the rainbow bridge with her sister, Shadow.

The good news is that today is the 4th anniversary of Fiona's adoption.

Christina I'm so sorry to hear about Missy. Like you said I'm sure she and Shadow are running through the Meadows at the Rainbow Bridge:rainbow:.

Happy 4th Gotta Day Fiona. I hope you will get lots of nice presents today:magicwand::balloons::airborne:

Susan

Sorry about your dog :(

But Happy Gottcha' day Fiona!! :bunnydance:

p.s. Thanks for the avatar help

missyscove wrote:
Fiona and Timmy both got new water bottles in celebration!

Whiskerz, the avatar looks great!
Are they totally awesome water bottles?!

and thanks!!!! It was worth the frustration and ripping out my hair after all :rollseyes

So now I'm back in that awkward time where I can't update you with pictures of the buns because they're on the opposite side of the country.
I can treat you to a few photos from here at school though.

Birthday pancakes I made for one of my roommates.
213or49.jpg

Livestock themed cupcakes we baked to bribe freshman into joining our club
65ub1t.jpg

nefhno.jpg

woodpecker at our window bird feeder

1433mfn.jpg

Chickadee

344bede.jpg

Baby bananas I grilled for dessert and ate with chocolate pudding.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Watch out, I'm coming for the chocolate milk, the chickadee and Timmy!:zoro:
I'm willing to share my chocolate milk (my 5 roommates and I go through 1 gallon of chocolate, 5 skim and 3 gallons of 2% a week... and one of us is lactose intolerant)
You can have the chickadee too.
Timmy is under lock & key with my mom (and reports are he's feeling much better after his sprained hip incident.

More pictures for you guys

Chocolate Chip cookies (go great with that chocolate milk!)
35n69lg.jpg

Duck at the Ithaca Farmer's Market
eti6o6.jpg

Gull at the Ithaca Farmer's Market
260tttv.jpg

More ducks
ejx1f4.jpg

34dfos2.jpg

off the dock
2a9w9jq.jpg

I didn't realize it had been quite so long since I last updated this blog.
I've just concluded the most stressful and difficult week of my life in recent memory.
Last Thursday I left where I was staying in Kenya (where I took an incredible course - I'll share a select few pictures in a bit). It took me 2 full days to get back to Los Angeles. I arrived home exhausted and had to take Fiona up to the vet to be euthanized. Her rainbow bridge thread is here. Then it took me another two days to get back to school. My roommates were unable to free my car from the ice and snow well enough to pick me up at the airport so I took a cab home. Once I got inside the apartment, they informed me that the trouble with our boiler that our landlord promised would be done by Thursday was still going on (it was Sunday at this point) and that the radiator in the room above mine had been left open when they were bleeding it, soaking through the floor and my entire bed. Thankfully I have awesome roommates who washed all of my bedding for me, even if it wasn't quite dry yet. Our radiators were partially working for the coldest night of the year (-16, feels like -31F) but were out the next night, and the space heaters they gave us blew a fuse in our apartment, multiple times.
They still haven't finished working on our radiators which means maintenance men have been in my room all week - eliminating the opportunity for early bedtimes or naps. I'm pretty sure my total exhaustion is what's led me to develop this horrible cold/flu, complete with highly attractive cough.
Then, on Wednesday, when my roommates and I tossed our barn clothes in the wash after sheep lab, I forgot to take my iPhone out of my pocket. It turns out that washers are one of those accessories "not optimized for iPhone"

I'm really hoping that things will be looking up from here on out this semester. tonight I made my roommates and I a celebratory, the first week is over dinner of the omaha steaks my dad mailed us, creamed corn and green beans.

Now a post dedicated to Kenya.
I spent 15 nights in Kenya at Mpala Research Centre which is located just outside of Nanyuki in the Laikipia district(Just north of the equator, about 5 hours driving from Nairobi). It was through a tropical field ecology course offered through Cornell's winter session. This was the 7th year that the course was offered. I was lucky enough to be one of 23 students, 2 TA's and 2 professors. We conducted 3 research projects over the duration of the course. The first was on elephant damage on Acacia trees. The second was on the relationship between the size and shape of Acacia drepanalobium trees and the species of ant that colonized them. The last was on the relationship between size of bird and time spent at a watering hole. I had a great time, learned a lot (and got an A!), met a great group of people (students, professors, TA's, other folks at the research center and elsewhere in Kenya).
When we weren't studying (and sometimes while we were) we were essentially on safari, only a safari where we're allowed out of our vans and allowed out at night. The animals I personally saw include: Lion, Leopard, African Wild Cat, Spotted Hyena, Striped Hyena, Aardwolf, Spotted Genet, Dwarf Mongoose, White Tailed Mongoose, Grevy's Zebra, Plains Zebra, Reticulated Giraffe, Grant's Gazelle, Thompson's Gazelle, Impala, Greater Kudu, Eland, Oryx, Dikdik, Rock Hyrax, bats, Puff Adder, Egyptian Cobra, Red headed Rock Agama, Monitor Lizard, Hippopotamus, Common Ostrich, Nightjars, several species of starlings, sparrows, hawks, ibis, guineafowl, owl, hawk, waxbill, oxpecker and lots of other birds I'm sure I'm forgetting.
I also took a lot of pictures (over 2,500). I narrowed those down to about 200 favorites which I shared among my course mates. Here is an even more select group. I brought my Canon digital rebel xti and my panasonic DMC-TS2. All of these pictures were taken with my dslr though.

k4zhab.jpg

Colobus Monkey

35jz14l.jpg

Eastern Chanting Goshawk

2567pe0.jpg

Eastern Chanting Goshawk

27zw8ox.jpg

Sacred Ibis eating a frog

2yl349i.jpg

Male Grevy's Zebras fighting

soppxd.jpg

Running reticulated giraffe

4vn1b4.jpg

The view from the baboon cliffs

6j0to8.jpg

Olive Baboons

fbgv4p.jpg

Male Common Ostrich

24617xd.jpg

Male African Elephant

2ir3sk3.jpg

Olive baboon

t7btie.jpg

>1 week old Grevy's Zebra nursing

2llem8l.jpg

African Wild Dogs

24p9yj5.jpg

Grant's Gazelle

ot19pl.jpg

Spoonbill

21eajqh.jpg

Me, ontop of Mukenya

24ccpl5.jpg

Vervret Monkey mom & baby

24zeqz4.jpg

Rock Hyrax

23i9jis.jpg

Me again - at the baboon cliffs

Also, in case anyone happened to notice, yes I cut my hair. I cut off 10 inches and donated it to Pantene's beautiful lengths program to make wigs for women and girls with cancer.

Latest posts

Back