Missing the litterbox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatkiidsean

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Lately I have been noticing that Einstein is missing the litterbox, first it was when he poops but now he started to pee. Its not all over the room it is right next to the litterbox. It seems that he picks and chooses when he wants to use his litterbox. He used to be fully litterbox trained but now he is not. What could be going on?

Is it maybe that the sides of the litter box aren't high enough and he is trying to pee in the litter box, but it is going over the edge onto the floor?

I agree with JBun, check the height of the litter box. Years ago I had the same problem and I used a lot of towels cleaning it up before I actually saw what was happening with my own eyes. Male bunnies can have quite a trajectory out the back, if you know what I mean! ;)

You'll have to observe him to see what is going on. If he isn't neutered, then it could very well be that he is hormonal. Hormonal rabbits have been known to "forget" their litter training.

Or it could be that as he is growing, he is hanging his bottom over the edge or just lifting his bum high enough to miss. See if he is actually in the litter box and it is just going over the edge, or if he is actually outside the box and deliberately peeing outside the box.

My bun Bambi is doing this too he used to never pee outside the box, now he does reguarly. Im going to get him neutered as soon as possible. If Einstein is unfixed, neutering him should stop the problem.

My bunny does that too with his box. I've noticed that he often intends to pee in the box and is sitting in it, but doesn't aim properly and it misses the box entirely. I've also noticed that this tends to happen more often when the box hasn't been cleaned in a few days and is getting kind of messy.

The first thing I suggest is investing in a larger box (depending on what you're using). He might be just missing it or trying to tell you that it isn't suitable. If that doesn't work, a change of litter or bedding might be in order (unless your box has a grate). You might also try adding another litter box into his area.

I appreciate all the feedback! The height of his litter box isn't a problem, as he is usually peeing on the higher side anyways, so he basically never misses. At first, I assumed he must've accidentally peed on the blanket itself, so his smell must've gotten him thinking that he could go anywhere on the blanket. But he does occasionally still hop into his box and do his business, so I believe it could be hormones. Thanks everybody! :bunny24

Kenobi pees just outside his litter box every time I do a thourough clean of his litter box and cage, and that is the only time. He'll do it just the day of the cleaning so I assume it's just him mad that I've gotten rid of his smell or mad that I invaded his little safe haven. At first I didn't notice that it always coincided with the cleaning, but when I noticed that, it made sense.

Latest posts

Back