Misinformation about rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also going to add neon tetras are not good for small tanks either. They like big groups. (I used to work in a fish pet store and I could tell you some stories haha). Oooh I was working there when Finding Nemo came out and everyone wanted a nemo fish. Then they were surprised when I told them they couldn't keep a nemo fish in their fresh water tank. Didn't get that it's a salt water fish. Really? Didn't get the ocean is full of salt? Gawd that drove me f-ing batty. I would try to teach people and a lot of the time they didn't care because it's fish. They wanted the simple lazy answer.

I giggled when some redneck told his kids that piranhas were saltwater. I thought that Peek would be disappointed to know I'd been doing it wrong the whole time!

Imbrium wrote:
wait, there's SALT in the ocean??

:laugh: yes thank you haha.

Oooh and for those of you that have bought live fish before, one guy asked me if I was going to poke holes in the bag so the fish could breathe. Yes he did haha.

I have a 20 gallon heavily planted with live plants. I had 6 male gullpies, 6 neons, and a beta for a couple years but my guppies are dying off (I think from old age). I was impressed that when I was looking at the fish over the weekend the person asked what size tank I had, what was in it, and what I was considering. Since I was looking at more guppies, tetras, or dinos she was pleased. I'm guessing if I was looking at something crazy like a ciclid she would have said something. I ended up not getting anything yet.

Emily- now I'm worried about my neons, is 6 a large enough group? They have always seemed happy and also play with the guppies so I thought they were ok?

I love to watch the fish play together in the bubbler. I have a long bubble bar across the back of the tank. They will clump together as a group in the bottom right side. Then one at a time will swim into the bubble stream and ride it to the top of the tank. Then they go back to the group to wait their turn to go again. It has to be play, there's nothing else I can think of what they could be doing.

MiniLopHop- Your neons are fine, groups of 5 are considered the minimum for natural shoaling/schooling behavior. :)

Brandy, yeah six'll be fine but I always like them in larger groups. They seem more comfortable. But if yours aren't having any issues I'm sure its fine.

I have a 10 gallon planted (algae attacked again aaah) that has 3 orange hatchet danios in it. Been trying to find more of them but they are hard to find.

This is what the directions say with the rabbit food that I use.
"Provide your rabbits with all the small world rabbit they will consumeeach day, or limit-feed as necessary To achieve the desired bodycondition. Clean the feeding cup daily And be sure To provide fresh,clean water at all times, small world rabbit is a complete diet. Hayand other forages can be fed, but are not required. Reminder: feed isperishable. Store this product in a cool, dry area away From rodentsand insects."

I want you guys to take note of the hay part. Why do pet food companies and/or sales associates know nothing about the animals they sell/sell for?
I'm a little in shock that I just read that.

Wow, that sucks that it is printed on the bag. Then again, look at all the "treats" sold for pets. I actually just went through the isle reading the bags because I need help getting Becky's weight up. They say to feed 2-3 snacks a day! :shock:

It's no wonder so many buns are over weight with that kind of information. Becky gets 2 a day to keep enough weight on, but the rest of my warren never gets the store bought treats because they are just too fattning. They prefer flowers as treats anyway.

But hay as a treat? That is nuts! I guess it is all about the money. I'm going to see what an oxbow bag says. I get it in bulk so the bag is just marked with the food name but I need gerbil food anyway so I will be in the store tonight.

I guess people figure if they want it then it must be good for them? I would love to eat cookies all day but my mom gave me vegetables because that is what is good for me.

Pet stores make me so sad... all of the things that are unhealthy, inappropriate, and downright dangerous.

It makes me upset that companies are so eager to lie to people and sell dangerous products, that the pet stores are oblivious enough to carry those products, and that customers are ignorant enough to buy them.

I read ingredients for all the pet food I buy - the "treats" for small animals are horrific! Heck, even fish food is filled with gross stuff and preservatives fish shouldn't eat. Took me a while to find a brand of flakes with real ingredients. I wouldn't feed my animals anything I wouldn't eat myself (hypothetically, at least, based on the ingredients - I don't want to eat the mice that my snakes eat, but I know that they're healthy! And I don't want to eat hay, but I'd be willing to try a bite of timothy hay, but I'd never ever eat a stupid yogurt drop).

It's the same way I feel grocery shopping. I don't eat any processed food or dairy or grains, so I have to have a sort of tunnel vision to ignore all of the unhealthy food while I'm shopping.

I think pet stores should start taking some responsibility and stop offering unhealthy garbage for our pets. Yes, people should be aware of what they are buying, but let's face it... most people will trust packaging and grab whatever looks pretty on the shelf. "It says it's for rabbits so it must be good", right?

It seems like dog and cat food are shaping up in a lot of places - the petsmart near me has a huge "health food" section that takes up 1/3 of the store. But the small animals are left behind, still with their multicolored plastic cages and sugar filled treats. Sigh.

BugLady wrote:
I wouldn't feed my animals anything I wouldn't eat myself (hypothetically, at least, based on the ingredients - I don't want to eat the mice that my snakes eat, but I know that they're healthy! And I don't want to eat hay, but I'd be willing to try a bite of timothy hay, but I'd never ever eat a stupid yogurt drop).
hehe, I've actually tried everything my bunnies have ever eaten except cilantro 'cause I can barely even stand to smell that junk. I've even tasted their pellets and various types of hay, just to see what it is they're eating/what they like.

LOL I have tried all of my pets food other than the live things (earth worms, meal worms etc) that my turtles and birds eat. I find that the fewer ingredients listed on the labels and that I can say them all is important.

I shop similarly for myself, the outside edge of the store has all the good stuff- fresh produce, meat, dairy, and I do dip into the organic section for whole grains. The less processed the better.

I don't agree with people making their cats and dogs vegetarian though, that is going too far. Their bodies are not made to run that way and I think it is hard on them.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of these pet stores are more about the bottom line. Sure, in theory, they may be all for the pets, but those small rabbit cages make money and all that crap food & crappy treats make money. They would have to greatly reduce their stock if they stopped selling those money makers. And then the uninformed customers would simply think they don't have enough variety so they'll go instead to the store with all the crap.:p

Jennifer and Brandy, I laughed out loud when you said you tried all your pets food!
Because I HAVE TOO! Except the frozen blood worms that my fish eat. I've tried the chicken feed, the rabbit food, the hay, all the vegetables that Foo eats because I eat them too. My wild bird seed only have real things in it, black oil sunflower seeds, dried cherries, raisins, and peanuts. It looks like trail mix to me, but I don't sit around and snack on it!
The rabbit food that I was using, that I saw the label on wasn't a terrible food. It probably wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible. The protein/fat/fiber and everything seemed to be pretty normal with what everyone says to feed.
But, I just got my sample of Sherwood Forest a few days ago and she seems to like it. So hopefully I'll make the switch if she really likes it. The good thing about my bun is, she not picky at all!

I also feed my dog a really really good dog food. I pay so much money for that food, its unreal. He is a dingo and naturally very thin. I can't stand how thin he is. He isn't as active as he once was and is still thin. So I got him this dog food from this tiny town in TX and he loves it. Its helped him put the weight back on and now I can't see his ribs as well. $65 for a 40# bag! I mean, I would eat his dog food. It smells like chicken and its hollistic.

Back to the real topic of hay, that seems to be an on going trend for pet store employees to tell people. I just didn't think I would see it on a label. Its a really unfortunate thing.

Oh, and I'll be honest I used to get this one type of rabbit food that had all kinds of stuff in it. I can't remember the brand. But it had hay and twigs and little bits of fruit? maybe and other things in it. I used to feed it to Foo as a TREAT. She had her regular pellets that she ate and of course all her hay and greens. I would give her just a little bit every few days as a treat. She LOVED that crap. It never did any harm to her, she didn't blow up to over weight or anything like that.
Yep, theres my rabbit confession for today! I haven't been the best rabbit mama but who has?! But it wasn't her full diet, everyone must remember that before casting stones; it was just a treat!

no stones from me.... I'm feeding Becky some crap every day to try to fatten her up a little. I don't know what else to do, oats were not enough.

I switched my cats to Wellness Core because one was too thin and had a tendency to barf. The other was too chubby. Now they have ballanced out- no more barfing! They are both at healthy weights now with the good food.

i think this may make some people feel better about rabbits in LA. (as i live here in LA) recently this year a new law was proposed that rabbits and chicks can not be sold in LA. it has not passed yet, but it is an issue and it is trying to be passed currently. yes sadly we all come across it where people are selling aimals they know will either end up in a shelter or being abandoned when they get older. they are doing this in order to lessen the over crowding of shelters and for the benefit of all rabbits. out here ferrets are also illegal so we have no ferrets, and chinchillas are hard to come by i only know of 2 stores in the area that have chinchillas, but ll our pet-co's dont sell rabbits its mainly smaller family type store that sell bunnies. and yest there are some parts in downtown (chinatown area) that people sell animals way too young, but they would be subject to the same law.

as far as pet stores being morons i have a few stories i had to teach a few how to sex a bunny. and what kind of bedding/litter is best for rats and rabbits. they were using a bedding for rats that was making them have respiratory issues.

Latest posts

Back