mini lop biting and leaving pellets everywhere!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supercoco

Reaction score
hi everyone,
i am hoping someone can help me make sense of our bunny's change in behaviour and give me some ideas to help stop it.
My daughter has a 9 month old male mini lop,that we have had since 10 weeks. He is a gorgeous boy, who seems v happy, is pretty cuddly and lives inside with us all the time. He has recently started doing a couple of things that are driving us mad though:
1) he has always been pretty well toilet trained, leaving pellets here and there around the house but nothing terrible - now he is leaving MILLIONS of pellets EVERYWHERE, and as he is an inside bunny you can imagine how that is driving me crazy. I am constantly walking behind him picking up pellets. I dont want to ban him to only his outside cage - but I am not far off doing that.

2) As soon as any one walks into the room and stands still - he will bite your feet/ toes. We are enjoying his apparent increase in friendliness, if this is what it is - but the biting?

i have guessed that he may be hitting puberty, and am wondering if getting him operated on will help - though to be honest I had hoped not to have to do that.
If it will help though - definitely will do it.
Is there anything else we can be doing- the pooing especially is getting ridiculous- we can no longer walk 2 steps without stepping on one, and often lately they are soft and squishy too!

Please , any help for this first time rabbit owner will be a big help.
Thanks

I think neutering would help. One of my male rabbits used to do some territory marking and bite when picked up, but both of those behaviors stopped after he was neutered.

I agree that neutering will help. My rabbit was doing these exact same things until he was neutered. He does still tug on our pants with his teeth when he wants attention, but that is much nicer than the nipping. He also leaves a few poops here and there, but nothing like he was doing before.

Neuter will help. Biting will leave you bloody, so I assume it's only nipping which is something that occurs during grooming, so, he does like you even though it can be annoying and hard on clothing. As to the pooping, neutering may help some but a shop vac is also a great help for us. All of ours leave us those "presents" all over and they are all neutered.

thanks everyone for the advice-
will look into getting him neutered and hopefully that helps

Latest posts

Back