Milo one day, Lucky the next

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to say i'm so sorry about what you've been through, as everyone else has said if you need anything there are so many people here that care...
Hope your ok...
xox
Lara

I'm around, I'm lurking. I'm sorry, I just don't have the energy to make much of an effort right now.

I love all you guys, thanks for everyones kind words. It's good to know other people understand.

I just feel like I let Milo and Lucky down and it's unforgivable.

BunBun, Sakura and Bailey are all doing well.

Oh hun, I'm so sorry that you're hurting :bigtears:

:pray: for you

Thank you, I was just saying to Spring on MSN, that I know I'm going to feel like crap for a long time yet, I can't let myself sink down into it too much.

I'm looking at all my pictures of Lucky at the moment, here is one of her at 11 weeks old. She was utterly beautiful in every way.

Lucky.jpg

And same day, isn't this just the cutest little girl you've ever seen? I miss her so badly :(

DSC06612.jpg

Aww Michelle.:tears2:I understand your pain, and I just wish I could say or do something to take it away. This is so unfair.:cry4:

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts- I'm here if you ever want a chat.:hug2:

Oh sweetheart.....:tears2: I can't believe I'm just seeing this now.....

This is such a terrible month for RO bunnies... But Lucky! I can't believe it :cry2
What a gorgeous, wonderful little girl she was....She will be sorely, sorely missed. And Milo, too!

Binky free, sweet little ones. Your place in all our hearts will remain forever.....

~Diana and Butter

oh no...not lucky, one of my favorite RO buns. no.:inlove:she was so adorable:bunnydance:

oh its been a terrible year for RO.

binky free:rainbow::angel::rainbow:

ani-lover and the buns:hearts

Last night was so hard. I did a massive workout to get tired, then stayed up till midnight-ish and was so tired...yet as soon as I closed my eyes all I could see were their little dead faces :(.

I know you can't play favourites with love, but the loss of Lucky is really hitting me the hardest. I keep thinking about when I got her. Last year in October I was browsing this NZ website with classifieds for animals, and saw an for a couple of baby rabbits. At the top right of the ad was a side-on picture of little baby Lucky. My heart melted! She would be perfect for BunBun - I just knew they would hit it off. It was like the ad called out to me. My partner Mathew gave me the money for her, as an early birthday present.

My step-grandad and I went for a drive the following week to pic her up. She was 9 weeks old and cost $40...was a lot for a pet but I felt it was worth it. When we got to their house I was pretty horrified - it was out in the country, wasn't a farm as such, more of a lifestyle block. There were about 50 tiny metal hutches on this filthy patch of ground off to one side of the house. There were piles where newspaper that had been used for litter had been scooped out of the hutches and left lying there. Flies swarmed everywhere and the smell was terrible.

The 'breeder', a young girl of about 8-10, took me to Lucky's tiny metal hutch. I looked around at the other hutches and wanted to cry. Some had up to 5 adult rabbits crammed into 1 little hutch! I couldn't see food, water or toys, let alone shade or happy rabbits.

Lucky was roughly yanked out by her scruff and plonked down on the hutch. She was utterly terrified. "Sorry, we have only picked her up once before, to take a picture of her" the girl told me. I scooped her up and we went in the house to pay for her, and to get her first calici vaccination from the mother who was a vet nurse. Lucky's eyes buldged in terror the entire time, poor sweetheart. I finally got out of there and we drove back home. I settled Lucky into the kitchen in a makeshift pen, with a cardboard box, some hay, a cushion, food and water and left her to calm down.

She was adorable, one ear up and one ear down, but so scared of everything. At this point she didn't have a name. I thought for a moment how lucky she was that I had bought her. She also reminded me a lot of my only childhood dog, a bermese mountain dog we got from a shelter the day he was due to be put to sleep, his name had been Lucky. He was black with a white tummy and some tan markings, just like her. It was perfect! It fit her like a a glove.

Lucky had fleas, but apart from that she was in ok condition. I ended up ringing the SPCA on the place though, I couldn't just walk away and leave all those sad buns without doing anything. The SPCA said as long as they had food and shelter there was nothing they could do though, so nothing was done :?.

I kept her seperate from BunBun for a few weeks, treated her fleas, and tried to get her to not be scared of hands (which she always was, no matter what). I know I was naughty and should have left it for much longer, but I was impatient to see if they liked eachother. BunBun was a pretty small guy when he was younger anyway, so there wasn't too much size difference. He had been neutered.

They had a few meetings in the spare room, and it went so well! At first BunBun flollowed her around a couple of times very interested in her bottom, but after only 3/4 bonding sessions, he never again tried to mount her or show any interest in that end of her.

After a couple of weeks I took her to his cage and let them sniff through the door. They were both living indoors at this stage. BunBun immediatly groomed her head, lowered his then she groomed his head. Lucky lept out of my hands into his cage. He didn't even mind one bit! They both jumped onto his shelf and settled down to munch on some grass. I cried with happiness :D. I stayed watching them all day to see how they were. They were perfect with eachother. Tonnes of snuggling, grooming, they ate together, drank together, did everything together. BunBun was love struck and would follow Lucky everywhere she went. No aggression from either at any stage, so that was it, they were a couple.

[line]
Sorry for such a long post, I just felt I had to start typing and when I did, it was hard to stop.

I miss you babies :(.

OMG I'm only just seeing this now. I'm so sorry, I can't being to imagine what you must be feeling/thinking right now, my heart goes out to you. We're all here for you. And don't apologise for your long post, you need to do everything you can to help you through this.

Binky free Lucky x

michelle

i am spazzing out just reading this. i'm in so much pain just reading about your losses these past few days. i'm so so so sorry and i have no words that can possibly make you feel better or make even ME feel better about your horrific nightmare situation.

you did NOTHING wrong michelle and horrible things happen, but you are an amazing bunmom and i know i haven't been around the forums for very long but i have read your past postings. jack was one of my favorite rabbits (and still is, actually) on this forum, and your other babies were SO beautiful as well. i'm just stunned at your losses.

it just breaks my heart. nemo and i are sending special love your way, and i beg you please not to give up on buns forever after this. you're a wonderful savior for those animals, and just think, milo and lucky would be broken over you giving up all hope.

love always.

tracy and nEmo

Michele ..I am so sorry

I can't even imagine how you feel but I can tell you a few incidents that might make you feel that accidents happen to evreyone.

Sunday AM I found Rudy out of his area..I had not secured it properly the previous night. He was sitting by the door next to the computer doing nothing......but I knew that he had probably been out all night. I checked all the wires.

he chewed through my phone recharger and also chewed through the wires of my speakers. He didn't chew any big cord and I WAS JUST LUCKY!!! because he could be dead like Milo.

I also had an accident where I used to let my guinea pigs play in my bathroom. I stepped over the barrier at the door and stepped right on Lucy and BROKE HER NECK and she died immediately.

I had a parakeet that fell into an open toilet and drowned.
Now all this stuff has happened over the past 30 yrs. but they are still accidents and I still feel bad about them but I am still a good pet owner.

In terms of Lucky I don't know what could have killed him so quickly but it is not your doing.
Please please be kind to yourself. Please don't take any more baths in bleach as it will take off your skin.

Rabbits are fragile and we all know they are hereand then ...they are gone just like that.
My husbnd doesn't understand why I want them because they always are sick or needing something.
Because I am at the shelter I so often see buns that are having trouble getting homes and I want to adopt them so much...but I can't because I have too many.

After you find out if you something contagious with Lucky and you give yourself some time..please remember that there are other wonderful cute bunnies that need you.
Once again ..please be kind to yourself.

Michele,

I just read this, and I am so sorry about your babies. Please remember that you were not at fault, and that it was an accident with Milo, and there was no way to know about Lucky. You gave them attention, a warm home, and, most of all, love that they wouldn't have ever known without you. You are a blessing! Prayers for you that healing will come quickly.

You're all being so kind to me, thank you so much :hug:.

Accidents certainly do happen. I remember I stood on and killed a pet too, he was a snail, but I still loved him and cried my eyes out and felt terrible. To this day I can't touch snails.

I wanted to share some pictures of Lucky that are very special to me. Most of when she was younger, I have a ton of adult pics too but the baby ones just tug at my heart.

I don't want people to think I am dismissing Milo's passing, not at all, I have a story and pictures for him that I will put on here soon too.

Lucky on the day she came home
DSC06461.jpg

DSC06443.jpg

DSC06441.jpg

DSC06450.jpg

DSC06438.jpg

Lucky moves in with BunBun

DSC06469.jpg

Grooming his head (they stayed like this for ages)

DSC06490.jpg

Relaxing

DSC06502.jpg

One of my most treasured pictures, ever...

DSC06553.jpg

Snuggle butts

DSC06555.jpg

"Who put us up here?"

DSC06578.jpg

DSC06603.jpg

DSC06608.jpg

DSC06610.jpg

DSC06620.jpg

DSC06637.jpg

DSC06704.jpg

Adult Lucky :bunnyheart

DSC07649.jpg

DSC07626.jpg

DSC07033.jpg

DSC07436.jpg

DSC06960.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC06994.jpg

DSC07970Medium.jpg

DSC07710.jpg

DSC07761.jpg

DSC00971Medium.jpg

DSC00070.jpg

Sorry for so many pictures, I just need them somewhere I can look at them all in a bunch when I need to.

Back