Millie has an ABSCESS on her foot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LuvaBun wrote:
Jess, if there is anything I can do, you only have to ask. I love Millie, and I am so hoping that it doesn't come to amputation, but if that is the last option, then so be it.

I agree with you Jan

I am so sorry Jess that you are going through such a time with Millie,but we are here,and we are all going through it with you also Jess :hug:

Thinking of you and Millie

Cheryl

Aww you guys - thank you.:hug2:I really appreciate all your support.:)It's just so hard going through all this again so soon...I feel like I just don't have the fight left in me anymore.:(I just want her better!

ra7751 wrote:
Have to chime in again....get your doctor to look into using chloramphenicol.
What is that Randy? An antibiotic?

Chloramphenicol is a very potent antibiotic that is able to penetrate the thick pus to get to the core of an abscess....in many cases even better than penicillin. It is a little difficult to find sometimes due to some side effects...not so much for the rabbit, but for the person administering the drug. There have been some reports of this drug causing some serious bone marrow suppressions in a very small group of humans. It is rarely prescribed due to this concern.....but it is an excellent drug that can be safely handled with proper precautions. Gloves, long sleeves and a face mask are proper safety measures. I have used it with Mo...he is a special needs Florida White that abscessed after breaking a toe. His femurs are curved which leads to all sorts of issues. We actually thought that he might lose his leg...but this drug did the trick. It's worth discussing in depth with your doctor. And if your doctors agrees this drug might help...also discuss proper safely protocols.

Randy

Thank you Randy - I will have to look into that.:)

Well guys - I don't want to jinx myself,:? however I think Millie's abscess may be improving!:shock: It is smaller than it was, with less pus.:D

I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but I think maybe the Septrin is actually doing the trick.:shock:So please send lots and lots of *abscess healing vibes* to Millie - I'm hoping and praying thatthis is the start of the recovery I've been wishing for.:pray:

Jess, I am keeping everything crossed that this is the end of the abscess. How long is Millie on the Septrin?

My poor girl - I'm pleased that she is such a character that she is managing to cope with everything OK. Give her kisses from her 'Aunt' :)

Jan

Thank you guys.:)

Jan - she has been on it exactly one week today, and she still has half the bottle left, so I'm guessing it should last her about 2 weeks.:ponder:I'm not sure what to do if I need more though - as Judith is far away to drive just to pick up medicine.:?I'm hoping I can convince my vets to give me some instead - fingers crossed!

And your right about the attitude.:pShe has started hiding in her 'cocoon' of straw when it's time for her meds - or under my bed if she is in the house.:DNaughty bunster - it's for her own good!:nonono:

And I've given her a kiss from you!:big kiss:

Awww They learn so quickly to "hide" someplace don't they?

Tony hides UNDER our woodstove (where he can hardly fit!) when we want to put him in his cage for the night. "NO! MAMA! I want to play some more!"

I am so happy Millie's toe is doing better. Keep us posted on the abcess' healing!

How's Millie doing now? I know it's looking better, but I wondered since she's been on the new antibiotic for a while now.

Thanks for asking BBB.:)

Well, I think its safe to say Millie's abscess is definitely improving.:D Judith said she has ordered in some cream for Millie, but as the abscess is healing on just the Septrin she said to just stick to that.

Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for a full recovery!:pray:

That's GREAT news Jess. The Septrin must be really doing the trick :) - I bet Millie is nearly as pleased as you are ;). Are you still getting any puss out of it, or is it just a lump now?

Lets hope that by the end of the septrin, it has completely gone.

Jan

Jan - although there is still a little pus in there, we haven't been able to get any out for days. There is a lot less though - which is a good thing!:D

He he, yep I'm sure Millie is not quite as pleased as me.;)She still gives me a run around at med time!:biggrin2:I had to crawl right under my bed yesterday tobundle her out - naughty bunster!:shame:rofl:

Could you maybe run warm water over her foot for a while and see if the pus will come out? that's what we did with Prissy the cat.....

or are you still soaking it?

I'm so pleased she's doing better. I just love her, you know.

Lol - I know BBB.:DWell, I have to say the improvement is fantastic! The abscess is tiny with only a teeny bit of pus left (in a very awkward spot) which the antibiotics should clear up.:)We are still soaking it BBB, but to be honest I don't think we need to anymore!

I'm so happy!:woohoo

Latest posts

Back