Miley's at the vet right now

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called and they are the dis solvable stitches!

When I got home from work, somehow she got out of her cage and was free roaming in the room! it is a little scary to turn the lights on and see a bunny at the door waiting for you (cute but scary when un expected) How she got out of beyond me but I was so worried about the wound, I flipped her right over and it was a little red in one spot and crusty but I figured that was normal, there wasn't anything that screamed OMG about it, just a healing wound it scares me because I have an abnormally tall bed that she LOVES to jump on and I thought it would for sure damage the healing but obviously not.

Is crusty normal and okay?

This whole spay has been a disaster!
The crusty stuff was nothing but the glue they used, I found out today.

Okay, two days ago I noticed infection so i rushed her in and got ointment to rub on there so that was fine and then today I noticed the wound was OPEN! Completely open, So open that I could stick a pea in there - here I am freaked out and nervous calling the vet to have them tell me it being open like that isn't an emergency when it is in my eyes. I am taking her back to the vet tomorrow so they can figure out what to do next - this evening when I check on her it has puss everywhere but we have an appointment tomorrow morning.

I am freaking out. I know this could happen to anyone but I know how fast infections can spread throughout the body.

I am so aggravated, I chose this vet because they told me they did "regular STITCHES" and now I found out, they really used glue on her.

Have I caught the infection early enough?
I'm sure I have, I just need reinforcement :(
She was spayed on the 2nd

Oh no. Maybe you should find another vet after this.

I hope she'll be ok. She'll be in my prayers tonight. :pray:..April

edit: Angieluv is online, hopeful she'll see this.

Glue is usually better than regular stitches. It holds the tissue more securely, where regular stitches can rip the tissue where the sewing holes are and come open.

You're probably at the vet right now, but I think this is an emergency. For the infection, it would be best to have an oral or injectible antibiotic, not a topically applied one. They should sew or glue the incision up again.

Is she bothering the incision at all? If so, we can help you make a soft collar so that she can't get at it.

edit: It may be good to switch vets, but I wouldn't do it right away, as Miley is in a rough spot and it's best for a vet who knows her health history to be treating her at this time. However, if what they do today doesn't help, or the incision comes open again, it may be best to switch vets.

I'm so sorry for the lack of updates. Its been pretty hectic over here.

Miley is doing fine (thank goodness) the vet visit the other day went fine too we got in and she got her normal attention from everyone hhaa.

The doctor said the infection was only a surface infection and he pulled it all out, it was so gross. The blob of infection just came right out. He did not glue it back up because she already pulled that all off once so he put about 4 staples there to keep it close. He said the likelyness of her pulling though are very very slim.

He said I didn't need to continue the topical medication and that she didn't need any oral antibiotic. This all got done on the 16th if I remeber correctly and she is going in on the 26th to get the staples out.

Since she got them in, the suture is fine. No puss or anything. At first she tugged a little at the staples but now she doesn't even both with them and I am still putting the topical meds on just in case, I rub it in and let it dry because I let her out of my lap.

Latest posts

Back