Miley's at the vet right now

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shainabee

Reaction score
I am so nervous.
Miley and Clyde went to the vet today for their first check ups and about Clydes fleas - but Miley is turning 4 months old in like 2 days so I decided to leave her to get spayed either tonight or tomorrow. I am so worried.

What special do I need to do for her for when she gets back home?

Hate to have to tell you this but ideal age is 6 months (unless you have a dwarf they mature quicker)Spaying too young can have unknown effects on a bun as hormones needed for growth and development are still circulating in the body and needed for normal growth. I believe I learned on etherbun that it could have negative effects on bone development.

I am not saying that she will die or anything like that and I'm sure that she will recover from the spay; but usually the age should be older
When Petco was selling rabbits they spayed all their rabbit really really young and I have not heard of negative consequencesin those buns.

I don't have links to back this up at present but did investigate it on etherbun several years ago when our shelter wanted to spay a really young rabbit.

You know as long as the spay was scheduled so quickly maybe you could just call the vet and say that you decided to wait awhile to do it ; then you could go pick her up and wait a couple months
just a thought ...

but if it is already being done then we'll help you with her post -op care. Like I said Marshall farmss used to spay and neuter rabbits way younger than 4 months so it is not a disaster.
I don't wantt to upset you anymore than you are just give you a few options; you don't have to tell the vet why you are canceling the spay.

If she's at least 2lb, I think she'll be fine. That's the new standard weight for a spay, I think.

Good luck!

My vet said he could spay Daisy @ approx 4 months. He is a very experienced rabbit vet. Should I wait til she's 6 months? She is netherland dwarf- lop mix.

She weighed 7.2 pounds. I called multiple exotic vets to get opinions and everyone said 4 months was when they were able.

I am in by no means, meaning to go against anyone but if an experienced rabbit savy vet says he can do it at 4 months vs random online suggestions. It's a tough call.

It was not a sudden choice, she was scheduled for next week anyway and I drive over an hour to go to them they offered it to me.

so angieluv, you're telling me she is going to have bone complications? like, she won't grow? what do you mean.
Those are pretty good words to freak someone out.

Sorry if I seem defensive.

tonyshuman wrote:
If she's at least 2lb, I think she'll be fine. That's the new standard weight for a spay, I think.

Good luck!
You are right Tony, 2lbs is the new standard weight for a spay and/or neuter of any rabbit.

The older the better to get your rabbit spayed. Less complications. I am going to have to wait until Fall to get Sweetie spayed because I may not have the money to get her spayed this month and she turns 9 months this month. But yeah the older the bunny is the better.

Sweetie wrote:
The older the better to get your rabbit spayed. Less complications. I am going to have to wait until Fall to get Sweetie spayed because I may not have the money to get her spayed this month and she turns 9 months this month. But yeah the older the bunny is the better.
K. Thanks. I was gonna do it sooner than later only cause my two buns were bonded. I wanted to put them back together asap. I'll probably wait longer now. Thanks for info...April :biggrin2:

Shainabee wrote:
She weighed 7.2 pounds. I called multiple exotic vets to get opinions and everyone said 4 months was when they were able.

I am in by no means, meaning to go against anyone but if an experienced rabbit savy vet says he can do it at 4 months vs random online suggestions. It's a tough call.

It was not a sudden choice, she was scheduled for next week anyway and I drive over an hour to go to them they offered it to me.

so angieluv, you're telling me she is going to have bone complications? like, she won't grow? what do you mean.
Those are pretty good words to freak someone out.

Sorry if I seem defensive.

Maureen's comment is accurate. There is the potential for bone development challenges. That doesn't mean it will happen; simply means that it has been noted in some cases.

Just because you can spay now, doesn't mean that it is best from a development standpoint (according to recent research). We do our very best to give you all the information available to help folks make their own decisions :).

Frankly, you will probably never know whether or not she is impacted (because you can't personally predict how large an individual bunny will grow exactly).

Thus, highly unlikely that bunny will die due to complications of bone development resulting from early spay.

Your rabbit, your vet, your decision. If you're confident in this vet, go for it.
She's over 2 pounds, and 4 months old. Should be fine.

But, if you can wait 2 months, so much the better ;).

The information I passed onwas given to me by Rami who is a Swiss veterinarian who posts on a medical rabbit website called etherbun.

I passed this info on and in my own mind thinking it out it does make sense. Sort of like giving a 11 year old girl a hysterectomy and then thinking that she will develop normally.
I passed on the info to be helpful but don't care at all what you decide to do .

I felt it was the right thing to do.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html#age

http://trentonpethospital.com/tph_old/library/rabbitSpay.html#why

http://www.mvhspets.org/node/228

http://www.articlecube.com/Article/Neutering-Rabbits-Important-Reasons-Why-You-Should-Spay-Or-Neuter-Rabbits/510503

http://www.myhouserabbit.com/tip_spayneuter.php

The discussion of negative effects on the rabbit due to loss of hormones needed for growth was obtained through a sophiticated discussion on etherbun. I welcome you to join that group also and repeat the question These articles posted simply state that the rabbit should be sexually mature and although it can be done at 4 months it is safer at 6 months.

Like I said Angieluv, I was sorry if I seemed defensive.
I know you only told me that to let me be aware - I was just being protective, defensive or whatever I suppose. I'm sorry.

Miley came home today and she is already back to normal. Eating, drinking and pooping! The firs thing she did was hop in her litter box and eat hay, I was so shocked. She wants to be out of her cage so badly, I don't know what to do because I know if she comes out she will try hopping and jumping around and I do not want her stitches to get messed up.

You don't have to apologize; I know that it's hard when you are getting different advice from different people. :)

Everything's cool ;)

You can allow her to be an x-pen that is small so that she can walk around but what you don't want is for her to do is hop or try to jump ....
so if you think she would try to climb or jump out of an x-pen then keep her in the cage. it is only for a few days and just try to suffer through it ...maybe give her some empty paper towel rolls to chew on. Did she get laser surgery with dissolvable stitches?. If the vet not did not tell you to come back to get the stitches out then that's what she got.

The issue is thechance her of pulling open the suture line before healing has occured
I"m really happy that she is fine .

That is a good question. They did not tell me to come back but when I asked if they did laser or regular stiches, they said "regular stiches" so I just assumed. I will give them a call sometime today and see.

I don't know what an "x pen" is but I have shrunk her cage size down to a 2 by 3 but by the time her litter box and food bowls get in there it is like a 2 by 2 (grid size) I looked at it this morning and everyting looked fine - I looked because she was grooming it so I got worried.

I gave her a phonebook to chew haha.

Sometimes the vet wil give you a piece of paper and it will have a box checked off to come back in 10 days for suture removal
did they give you anything.???? or if you turn her over you can see the stitches themselves

if she has regular stitches you have to monitor her so that she doesn't pull them out...in a few day it won't make too much difference.

Latest posts

Back