Meet Einstein!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatkiidsean

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I finally received my 9-week old Lionhead bun, and he is the most adorable thing I've ever seen! It's actually pretty hard to type this without wanting to play with him! But I know I must give him time to adjust to his surroundings and get used to his new home.

Below are a couple pictures I took of him. I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures, as he is still getting used to his pen, so he was probably shaking when I took them. He is hopping around now, and even eating some hay!

Let me know what you guys think of him! Also, any advice on how to make his transition and getting used to his new home better (other than time)?

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

I probably can't edit my last post...

Wow, I am aghast at how cute that little nose wiggler is...

You should try and be very attentive to the little guy. It will take time, for certain.

Find an HRS- trained vet. Join your local HRS chapter.

Einstein is an awesome bun!!!!

Congratulations on becoming a bunny dad! He is such a cute little fluff! :adorable::balloons:

My daughter sits and reads aloud to her buns. That way they're used to her voice. Just sit quietly and talk to him. He'll get there.

Congrats on finally getting your bun! He's too cute and looks like a literal ball of fluff!

I think I remember seeing one in the picture you posted, but make sure that he has a place that he can retreat to and hide if he wants. He is absolutely adorable. I see that you're using wood shavings for litter, with lionhead fur, I would recommend against it, it's already sticking all over him :p I would perhaps try the compressed paper or wood pellets, they won't stick to him them. In the meantime, such a cutie :D

Sing to him :) Barry loves it when I sing to him. Hold him early on so that he gets used to being handled. Maybe you'll luck out like I did and get a snuggle bun! Not his fault if he's not though and ya gotta respect that. Do what you do everyday around him so that he gets used to your routine.

Conbunulations!!! He's a cutie and he actually looks like Einstein in a rabbity sorta way. :brownbunny

I think I remember seeing one in the picture you posted, but make sure that he has a place that he can retreat to and hide if he wants. He is absolutely adorable. I see that you're using wood shavings for litter, with lionhead fur, I would recommend against it, it's already sticking all over him :p I would perhaps try the compressed paper or wood pellets, they won't stick to him them. In the meantime, such a cutie :D

Hi Azerane! Believe it or not its actually CareFresh I am using! EVERYTHING sticks to him! I might switch to wood pellets once they become more available. DO you have any tips since it is sticking to his fur so much?

What a cutie. Spending time with him is key. The more time the more comfortable they will be.
I'm working with my Holland Lop rescue and it's going to take time with her!

Vanessa

So adorable! We just got out 2 month old bun and she warned up to us and her cage within about a day or two we made sure to get him attention a little bit at a time but often and tried to give her so snack like parsley or some veggies to help her associate us with positive things. Maybe it was just wishful thinking but it seemed to work

Aw adorable! I just got two yesterday the one warmed up to me right away the other one is coming around today. I've been talking to them and sitting on the floor with them.

Thanks for the kind words! Is there a good technique to approach him without scaring him off? He's used to his cage now, but whenever I try to come to pet him, he starts running around the pen and hiding. Is this normal, or should I be doing something else? I've yet to feed him any greens, so I'm wondering if I could use that to sort of "lure" him to me.

What a cutie-pie! He looks quite similar to my Ser Bouncealot :D

I'm still quite new to rabbits, but our two do seem to appreciate it if you let them know that you'll respect their cues. When you put your hand towards him, stop it a respectful distance away and wait to see if he'll approach you. Wait until he relaxes near your hand before trying to pet him. Letting them check you out while you sit still and pretend to ignore them seems to be a confidence-builder, too.

I've only had my Lionhead lad for about a week and a half, so I'm still in the getting-to-know-you stage myself, but he's been pretty friendly (maybe "highly food-oriented" is a more accurate term) from the start.

Hi Azerane! Believe it or not its actually CareFresh I am using! EVERYTHING sticks to him! I might switch to wood pellets once they become more available. DO you have any tips since it is sticking to his fur so much?

Ahh, well there you go. You could get a grid or similar for the litter tray, so you have the carefresh on the bottom, then the grid and Einstein sits on the grid and all the pee goes through but hopefully the carefresh won't come up and stick to him so much. I was almost going to suggest to put a layer of hay on top, but that will just stick to everything too, lol.

Thanks for the kind words! Is there a good technique to approach him without scaring him off? He's used to his cage now, but whenever I try to come to pet him, he starts running around the pen and hiding. Is this normal, or should I be doing something else? I've yet to feed him any greens, so I'm wondering if I could use that to sort of "lure" him to me.

That's the only trouble with pens, is you have to approach and reach in from a height and that presents you as a predator. If you can, I would open up one gate panel like a door, then lay down on the floor at the opening. Give it time, you might need to read a book or something and he should eventually calm down from you approaching and start exploring. If you want to approach, your best bet is to do it slowly from this low angle and if you reach out to pet him just give him head rubs. Though at this stage he's possibly likely to run away from being pet so you might be better off just sitting and letting him explore you.

Ahh, well there you go. You could get a grid or similar for the litter tray, so you have the carefresh on the bottom, then the grid and Einstein sits on the grid and all the pee goes through but hopefully the carefresh won't come up and stick to him so much. I was almost going to suggest to put a layer of hay on top, but that will just stick to everything too, lol.

That's the only trouble with pens, is you have to approach and reach in from a height and that presents you as a predator. If you can, I would open up one gate panel like a door, then lay down on the floor at the opening. Give it time, you might need to read a book or something and he should eventually calm down from you approaching and start exploring. If you want to approach, your best bet is to do it slowly from this low angle and if you reach out to pet him just give him head rubs. Though at this stage he's possibly likely to run away from being pet so you might be better off just sitting and letting him explore you.

Actually no matter what I'm doing with my new lop she grunts and boxes my legs. I have more blood drawn from her than a nurse. I also have to remember she was dumped at the animal shelter and left to sit in her own feces and urine for months, so now that she is out of a cage and running around my back bedroom in a Xpen that is pretty much hugging the walls, she has tons of free room. She gets jealous when she hears me with the other rabbits, but she will have to get over that.

She runs into her small soft doggie house I got her when she doesn't want to be bothered when I refill her water dish or bring fresh greens or clean out her litter box. I'm sure she will come around like Lady the Lop in my avatar did.. now she is the sweetest bunny and will hop over to me now and lick and kiss my legs to get petted! I'm so glad I kept her!

BTW my lops pen is open it just hugs the walls to keep her from eating the electric cords or getting caught up in them.

Vanessa

Back