Matted German Angora

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayglnu13

Reaction score
Hey every one, I have a "German Angora" comingin a few days, and the person who has him now says he is wicked mattedbecause the person who had him before then left him in a cage where hecouldn’t even turn around! :X Soooo I have a couple questions about"German Angoras"

Is their name really "German Angora"? All I found was "Giant Angora"

How big do they get? Like pound wise?

What should I do about his matter fur? Shear it off?

If I am to shear it off do I just use regular scissors?

Any other information you could provide would be GREAT! :D

Thank you!!!

~Amy

OH I love the angoras - but that coat!

I've had them in the past and some are too afraid of electric clippersto use on them. You always want to make sure they are cool tothe touch so they don't clipper burn the skin. Angora "dust"in the coat can clog the blades and they need to be lubricated ( I useCoolLube).

On most I've used small size grooming scissors and cut into the matt -tips pointed out to avoid cutting the bun. You can also try amat splitter to break it up into smaller pieces. You justhave to be careful not to pull and cut into the skin.

If this bun hasn't been handled much you may want to do a little bit ata time. Good luck! Its a job and a half! But I'msure you'll see some happy binky dances when that coat comes off!

All mine were super friendly and loved attention, and with the grooming they were used to being touched often.

You may want to keep an eye open for fur mites and urinescald. Its common to see urine scald with matted fur aroundthe genitals. OUCH!

Hey Amy, Sounds like a wonderful addition toyour furry family! I know nothing about rabbits'coats. I do, however, know that when a dog gets matts, it isextremely painful on their skin. When trying to brush outmatts, it tugs and tugs on their tender skin. We rescued adog that was matted and we shaved him completely (except for the hairin his ears). Maybe that would be the best bet, as I haveheard rabbit's skin is even MORE tender and sensitive than a dogs...ashame to shave an angora, but imagine how beautiful that coat will bewhen it grows out. :p

I used to have a 22 year old cat you got mattedwhen she got to old to clean herself properly. I took myhusbands trimmer and cut the matts out little bits at attime. The trimmer eventually overheated and stopped working,but we will not tell him that now will we. Fortunately, shewas stone deaf and could not hear the buzzing so she sat there andnever moved, she thought I was just petting her LOL

Susan

irishmist wrote:
I used to have a 22 year old cat you got matted when she got toold to clean herself properly. I took my husbands trimmer and cut thematts out little bits at at time. The trimmer eventually overheated andstopped working, but we will not tell him that now will we.Fortunately, she was stone deaf and could not hear the buzzing so shesat there and never moved, she thought I was just petting her LOL

Susan

Do you think an eletric shaver like this one

wellPersonalElectric_RazorsAllNorelco_20XL_Clipper-resized200.jpg

would be ok to use? Or should we just stick with scissors?

~Amy

Yes that is what I used. I just sortof picked at the matt with it taking a little bit off it at a timeso,sort of touching it and pullingitaway.It took a long time but it wasworth it, she did not get hurt or upset by it. I also keptthe guard on so I would not nic the skin in any way.

You might be able to find one for pets atPetsmart (or your local equivalent). Ours (still works) isabout 7 years old. Fur clippers come with scissors andusually an instruction booklet. OH!! And ours plugsin.

Is their name really "German Angora"? All I found was "GiantAngora"German& German hybrid Angoras are not uncommon in the US -- theyaverage about 7 lbs.

http://iagarb.spinnersflock.com/germangiant.html

What should I do about his matter fur? Shear it off? The soft woolmay quickly dull clippers -- we use small, very sharp embroidery shearsto get under the matts and shear the wool.

If his mats are close to the skin you'll neverget those clippers with the plastic combs under it. Some ofthose blades are very short - surgical close (#40) blades without theplastic combs. I'd be careful of nicks - and make sure itsCOOL to the touch! Angora fur is nothing like a cat ordog's coat.

Small grooming scissors from a pet store or likePam said - empboidery ones. If the blades of the scissorsaren't very long (3-4" or so)you have more control over whatyou are cutting. If the mats are very close to the skinsometimes you can work them away with a metal wide tooth comb and seewhere to cut between the mat and skin. You'll be amazed howquickly the wool grows back!

ayglnu13 wrote:
If his mats are close to the skin should I use just regular scissors?
Hopefully, the matts are not right at the skin -- those are murder toget out! Some matt a short distance off the skin, so it'seasy to get the scissors under the matts to cut them out.

You'll need to work very slowly and carefully -- the skin rips very easily and is easy toaccidentally cut into!

Pam

Oh and if you use scissors make sure to stopperiodically to brush the clipper blades clean. When they getclogged with hair they tend to overheat.

I bought these nifty embroidery scissors thatsorta curve out, I figure that was better, that way the sharp pointwould be point away :D I am picking him up this afternoon! Kinda shortnotice, but whatever :D

~Amy

Yea!!! an Angora!!!

Here is a post I made a little while ago about a tool that might helpwith matting.Matting- Rabbits Only Forum - - Rabbits Only forums

I wouldn't bother with the clippers, from what I understand you need tobuy very expensive clippers in order for them to work. It really wontbe all that bad if you just use scissors. I use a pair of small pair ofscissors for cutting hair and a smaller pair from the sewing departmentfor matts. Slide the scissorsunder the edge ofthemattparallel to the skin, then turn the scissorsat a 90 degree angle from the body and snip, you're less likely to cutthe bunny that way. I'd do a little bit at a time.

I believe that German Angora's can be shown with Giant Angora's if theymeet the requirements, but German Angora's are always white, GiantAngora's are other breeds of Angora mixed with German to produce alarger rabbit with colored fiber. That is my understanding, but I'm notan expert.

Good luck,

Megan

ayglnu13 wrote:
I bought these nifty embroidery scissors that sorta curveout, I figure that was better, that way the sharp point would be pointaway :D I am picking him up this afternoon! Kinda short notice, butwhatever :D

~Amy

Those sound good. Just take your time and do a little each day to avoid stressing the rabbit out.

Pam

Latest posts

Back