Massive dog attack

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCamasRabbitry

Reaction score
Me and my sister were just out in the rabbitry and there are two huge rotties that are running loose. They burst in through the doors and were sniffing around. We thought nothing would happen but then Willow (our ND doe) started moving in her cage and then they started growling and wouldn't leave her alone. They knocked down the big two-story hutch on bricks that weighs a lot and I was screaming and crying. My sister ran to get help and we just couldn't pull the dogs away and outside. When we got near the door they'd rip loose and go back to her cage. I held on to the female's collar and she dragged me across the floor. I stood outside the shed screaming HELP HELP and some of the neighbors came out of their houses.

Finally my mom and older sister came out and they finally got the dogs out with sticks. I ran to the house and got leashes to restrain the dogs and my legs were so wobbly from screaming and crying. The dogs did lots of damage luckily the bunnies are just frightened and mostly just Willow.

Please pray that we won't loose her. I'm so scared that what happend to Blue Giants' bunnies will happen to ours and we have a small herd.

I'll let you know what goes on with the bunnies. As for the dogs:

I called the Animal control earlier this afternoon at 1 o'clock (pacific time) and this was before the attack. They said they'd be here in about 30 minutes and no one has shown. My mom called them again and said they needed to get out here and get these dogs. They said "We'll be there in a few hours" I'm really angry that they can't get out here and get dogs because these dogs can cause a lot of harm/damage to people's animals, not just bunnies but the neighbor's goats and cats.

My mom had to go to the hospital cuz she fell when she was trying to getthe dogs. she just has to get stitches on her eyebrow.

And i thought today was going to be my rest day, because i'm sick. Anywas just please pray.!!

:pray:

OMG :shock:

You silly girl! Did you know those dogs?! You should have been careful, those dogs could have turned on you! :shock:Gosh, I love bunnies but I am terrified to think of what could have happened to you guys. :?I'm glad you're all ok and tell your mom I hope her head feels better soon.

As for the bunnies, they are all in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully they won't be too spooked. I really don't know if there is something that can be done as preventative measures. Hopefully a breeder of other member might have an idea.

:pray:

Thanks everyone. The dogs have been nice to me and my sister and have been here since 11 am this morning.

We gave ALL the bunnies TONS of hay because it reduces stress and shock in them. They all munched on it. Luckily our blind bunny is ok, he's lucky. I'm not sure if he can hear and he was farthest away.

Our mini rex doe was on the bottom of the cage that was knocked down and she's ok as well. Lily (the mr doe), Willow (the ND doe who was the "victim") and our old brood Doe Autumn were the closest and probably most frightenend. I'm glad that our new dog-afraid MR buck wasn't the "victim" he'd probably be dead. He sat in his cage and ate food through the whole scenario.

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

Animal Control isn't here yet and my mom isn't back yet.

We can't go and check on the bunnies because the dog's may break loose from their chains and me and my sister can fend them off. Im so worried about Willow though. I just hope she's going to be alright.

Does anyone else know how to calm them down after an attack or stress/shock relating thing? I know hay works, but is it really enough?

:shock:I am sooo sorry about what happened. Please take care of yourself. I don't have any advice on how to lessen their stress but wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers...Please keep us updated.:pray:

I am so sorry for you! Stupid dogs! (I love dogs, but they shouldn't be running loose!) Do whatever you can to re-assure your buns... the important thing is that they don't go off feed.

Please let us know what happens. You are in my prayers....:pray: Hope your mom is OK...

I would think it's really important not to panic around the rabbits, they pick up on human stress, so I'd just use light soothing tones and hand out a few treats.

You may want to put a hidey box in hercage -- just a cardboard box (maybe even with an entrance and a small emergency exit if her cage is big enough to hold it).

And/or you can hang a towel over the wire to make her feel more secure.

Really keep any health issues at bay with extra cleaning, ventilation but no drafts, etc, seeing as they will be more susceptible.

Hope they're all okay.

sas :shock:

I am so glad to hear that you rabbits are ok. After we had dogs attack our rabbits, we have been getting small cardboard boxes from the grocery store. After they get the items out of them the store really has no need for them and lets us get them when we want. I put on in each cage. They will move it where they want it and the way the want it. It seems to help them, plus they can jump on top of the box to get away. When the box gets dirty we just throw it out and get another. We have also given some of them nest boxes turned on the side to make them feel more comfortable. I have one here that still has a nestbox in and I never take it away from her, she is so afraid of everything since the dog attacks.

I hope it will all be ok and that they will take away the dogs.

Yes the bunnies are alright. Animal Control took the dogs last night. They aren't microchipped but are purebreds. Hopefully the owner will come for them. If we find out who the owner is then we're having them pay for my mom's hospital bill. I don't see why though. Anyways, we'll give her a box today after school; it's only a half-day so yeah and we have three boxes.

We'll also switch Lily's and Autumn's boxes and give them fresh boxes.

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Yes the bunnies are alright. Animal Control took the dogs last night. They aren't microchipped but are purebreds. Hopefully the owner will come for them. If we find out who the owner is then we're having them pay for my mom's hospital bill. I don't see why though. Anyways, we'll give her a box today after school; it's only a half-day so yeah and we have three boxes.

We'll also switch Lily's and Autumn's boxes and give them fresh boxes.
i would definitely have them pay, if someone owns them then it is there responsibility to keep them locked up and secured on there own property. Things could have turned out much more tragically then they did, you could have gotten bit or killed same thing for your sister and your mom. These dogs are obviously small animal aggresive and they could have gone after any of your other animals and possibly a small child. I am sick of irresponsible owners getting away with things like this, and it will be the animal that will pay in the end when they finally have it put to sleep. Please make these owners be responsible and pay for the damages that have occured and might still occur. i hope your bunns all recover from the stress of what happened and are all right.

IceQueen- my mom and her boyfriend are definitley going to make them pay if we find them i guess.

The bunnies are all doing ok. We're going to bring them inside possibly for a little one-on-one time and all.

:apollo::rabbithop

Oh, gosh! How scary! I'm so glad none of the buns were killed or your family injured. Also, I'm not sure what your set up is, but you said the dogs burst through the doors. Would it be possible for the dogs or other animals (or even horrible people) to get into your rabbitry when you're not there? I shudder to think how much worse this could have been if you weren't there when the dogs broke in.

Well we have a solid wood shed. The door was just cracked enough for them to get in. The handle does lock so no worries for bad people. It's not like the dogs just made a hole in the door or anything. lol. They just pushed it open. They got in while i was trying to hold them back the first time before they started the rampage.

Keep a close eye on the bunnies for now. There's been an issue with someone else recently and apparently, stress can show up days or even weeks after something this serious.

I don't mean to scare you but just give you a heads up.

Thanks Bo B.

We've been watching them everyday to make sure they're ok. They have been getting hay and plenty of attention. Yesterday Willow came up to the house and got to play inside for a few hours. The cat thought it'd be fun to mess with her head, but she didn't really mind. She had a look on her face like "You are so stupid". We kept him away from her though because he did try and chase her. She was being very calm though.

Do you think that they'll be fine for the small show this weekend? They don't usually get stressed at shows, only my buck does and weren't not taking him to this show.

I can't see why not.

I would think making them feel like everything is normal is fine.

I love seeing cats, dogs, and bunners playing together.

Latest posts

Back