marking territory with urine after neutering?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyshuman

Reaction score
As you may or may not have heard, my bf got a bunny a few weeks ago. Bf is just too lazy or something to start his own username on the forum, so I do his research for him. :waiting:

Little Bunny Benjamin (who has several names) was a sweet little boy who came to us fully matured (not sure how old), but not doing any of those annoying behaviors that bunnies do when it's time for a neuter. He didn't hump us, spray, circle, grunt, etc. He would hump his stuffed toy sometimes, but that more or less stopped after a little while. Benjamin was neutered exactly a week ago, and has finished the pain meds and runs around like normal. However, he has started marking his territory (the boundary between his area and the area my bunnies run in) by peeing on the floor (hardwood!)!:tantrum: I rent and will be moving in a month or so, so I really don't want to lose my deposit. We've cleaned it up with vinegar and water (which doesn't really help with the floor staining) and doesn't deter him from peeing there again! We put those puppy litter training pads in the areas we thought he wanted to pee in, and then he decided to pee in other places!!:banghead I guess we could carpet that part of the apartment in litter pads...:?

Is it at all normal for a bunny to START peeing AFTER being neutered? I know the hormones aren't all out of his system yet, but why would the neuter bring this behavior on? Do you have any suggestions to help us out here?:panic:

Psh....... Bo marks everything if he gets the chance because of Tony. Tony isn't neutered and does it also...... Clover is my angel.

Was he next to your other rabbits pre-neuter?

It may just be his hormones are all over the place at the moment. I'd suggest getting so lino/vinyl flooring and putting it under his pen to protect your floor. You can sometimes pick up off cuts/ugly patterns cheap.

Tam

1 week is't very long, I'm thinking, and - as others have said - you've got 2 there. Besides, they do go through their "teen" developmental stage even when spayed/neutered. (Or at least, some do - my girl sure did!)

here's hoping things settle down soon... I woder if some of it is (possibly) related to having been out of the hosue for the neuter and then coming home? Sort of a "This really *is* mine!" message, maybe? ;)

Latest posts

Back