LOST BUNNY-PLEASE HELP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too have had rabbits get lose. Lukly they never ran far and came back.

I do have a question though. Would a wild rabbit breed with a Domestic femal on the loose?

loplover wrote:

I do have a question though. Would a wild rabbit breed with a Domestic femal on the loose?
My french angora used to run around outside in the yard and a couple oftimes a wild rabbit bred with her, so the babies were half wild. Theywere very cute but got VERY big! After that we tried to keep her in thehouse but she always got out . She ended up having like 6 or 9 littersand the father was usually a wild rabbit 9 times out of 10.

loplover wrote:

Absolutely not with a wild rabbit in the US (cottontails, etc.),however there are some small populations of feral rabbits in the USthat a domestic rabbit could breed with.

Domestic rabbits are descended from wild European rabbits -- so inEuropean countries, domestic rabbits can mate with the wild rabbits.

Pam

We are still looking and have been out thisevening. I had to go out for a couple of hours as I'm a judocoach, hence the name... but my daughter was invited to go to searchthe neighbours garden. HOwever when got there, the neighbourshad gone out and she didn;t want to help herself .... so she lookedaround the sides of the house and came back very upset as there was abig red fox sitting in the side garden. I came home an hourago to find her crying in her bed. We have a sitter in tonight and theydidn;t know how to deal with her. So I got her up and we wentout calling, but saw nothing. I hope she can hear us and soknow we are still close by. My daughter now thinks she's beeneaten by a fox! However, in the UK, in these suburbs, Foxesar more likely to raid the trash can than eat a pet, so I understand.

Thanks again you guys out there, you have no idea how helpful this is.

jo x

awwww! :( I hope you able to find your bunny soon!

My neighbors bunny got out one day, and he has lived outside eversince! He lives in our yard, and my neighbors yard, he even made itthrough the winter! So even if you arnt able to catch your bunny hestill might be able to live outside!

Good luck, hope he comes back soon!

~Amy

hi,
Like everyone else, just wanted to extend sympathies to you and yourdaughter for what you're going through. I'm thinking of you.

But also to say that I live in London and I've been told the same about foxes -they don't 'hunt', they scavenge.

Wishing you the best of luck with your search!

Rose

I'm just reading this now. I wanted tosay I will be praying for the safe return of your rabbit and for aresolution to your daughter's grief.

When I was about 10, our 6 mon. old husky puppy (I know, slightlydifferent, but same feelings) ran off. I was absolutelydevastated. She was gone for 2 days and nights before we gota call from our local police department. We had called themto let them know she was missing in case anyone called in that theyfound her. Anyway, she had gone almost 10 miles to the localcollege and was found by a fraternity who made her theirmascot. She was very sick (they fed her beer and McDonald's)but also very happy to be home. She didn't learn her lessonthough, it took her until she was 5 or so to stop the running.

Good luck! I'll send up extra prayers for Sooty.

Jen

A fox in the area isn't good. Don't blame your little one. It's definitely a fear as we all know. :(

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your daughter, and Sooty - of course.

I'm so sorry this has happened. My heart goes out to all of you.

-Carolyn

cirrustwi wrote:
she had gone almost 10 miles to the local college and wasfound by a fraternity who made her their mascot. She was verysick (they fed her beer and McDonald's) but also very happy to behome.
That storyjust remindedme of that lost duck thatgot hurt and waddled to the doorstep of a vet! Good Luck in findingyour bunny Jo! Being an owner of rabbits and ducks, I find the rabbitsare more intellegent. I found the article (its in the attachment) foryou or your daughter to take your mind off the wait until your rabbitreturns home. Sorry its a bit blurry butthe main part isMaisy the duck (after being injured) "hopped out of her pond, left herpark, crossed the main road, passed a row of shops and stopped ousidethe vets -an 800 yard trip"
Best of luck ;)

Walking Mushroom

Hiya everyone.

Well, still no sign of Sooty and Smarty is still pining, she isactually coming for a cuddle now, whereas before we had to chase her toget one! Anyway, she does look lonely in her big hutch. Mydaughter had a difficult night and was so upset this morning she couldnot go to school, so we are going to use the rest of the day positivelyand print some more flyers and extend our posting area up to about amile radius, as I understand she could be that far away or maybe moreby now. The local rescue centre contacted us today and saidto take heart, as they have just re-united a bunny that was missing for10 days with its, now ecstatic, owner. Well, on with thesearch, and please keep in touch, it's helping us all.

jo xxxxxx

judomamma wrote:
Hiya everyone.

Well, still no sign of Sooty and Smarty is still pining, she isactually coming for a cuddle now, whereas before we had to chase her toget one! Anyway, she does look lonely in her big hutch. Mydaughter had a difficult night and was so upset this morning she couldnot go to school, so we are going to use the rest of the day positivelyand print some more flyers and extend our posting area up to about amile radius, as I understand she could be that far away or maybe moreby now. The local rescue centre contacted us today and saidto take heart, as they have just re-united a bunny that was missing for10 days with its, now ecstatic, owner. Well, on with thesearch, and please keep in touch, it's helping us all.

jo xxxxxx

This is just heart-breaking, Jo. I'm so sorry no sign ofSooty.

-Carolyn

Hi Jo!

Continued good thoughts and prayers sent!

Did you get my PM?

Keep looking and calling for her!

We've had 3 hamsters escape in our house. We looked for days and it gotvery frustrating at times. All 3 turned up at times that we weren'tactually looking for them. We would be sitting watching TV or workingon the computer and look over to see a little furry face watchingus..."You lookin for me?".

Keep faith! Don't get frustrated and try to plan you time so you canuse it best...and please take some breaks. Plan searches at dawn anddusk.

Keep us updated!

~Jim

I hope you can find sooty, and this raises a point that I have beenmeaning to ask you guys, over here we have micro-chipping for pets, doyou guys have that too?

I am going to take Bindy in for chipping even though she lives inside,it worries me sometimes the front door may be slow to close and outshe'll run and I'd be lost (our puppies are chipped and when the gatewas left opened and they got out we were lucky enough to have themhanded into vets and they scan the animal for the chip and they call anational register and they call you and let you know where they are andyou can go pick them up)

There was a case of a dog who was missing in Darwin and was found inSouth Australia and they shipped the doggie back home, that is no meanfeat, it's over 3000 kilometers which is over 1864.1 miles.

Please keep us updated about sooty I truly hope you can find Sooty , I'll keep you in my thoughts

thanks Jim, yes I did get the pm, sorry I didn;treply but as you can imagine was busy. We are of out in amoment for a long walk and posting ..... it;s a beautiful sunnyafternoon here in London (well suburbs) so hopefully the sun will makeus feel better too. My daughter has asked me to say thank youfor being so kind. Some boys made fun of her at schoolyesterday because she was upset and thought it appropriate to tell herSooty was dead and to stop looking!!! She took it badly ofcourse. However, she is determined to do everything to findher. One question for you guys tho, Smarty has been puttingher teeth on us today, not biting but pushing her teeth on us, as ifshe is gonna bite.... is that cos she is feeling cross because hersister is missing??? Should we just leave her alone, or continue withthe extra cuddles?

jo xxx

Hi Jo!

Smarty is probably feeling all of the same confusion and loss as youare....only she doesn't know any of the details. She only knows thatthings have changed.

Let me see if I can put this in words.......Stay close to her, but giveher space if she wants.....Let her know that you are there if she needsor wants you.

If she nudges you away and you come back....maybe she will start tounderstand that you will come back and you're not going away forever.

It's so hard to tell what's going on in those little bunnie minds.

And tell your daughter that I understand how she feels. The boys thatpicked on her are not worth bothering with. Wait until they loosesomething important to them and see how fast they "get over it". Also,we have had pets pass, and it has affected my daughters in the sameway. They have both stayed home from school when one of theirs petshave passed.

I wish I could come help you look!!!

~Jim

Latest posts

Back