LOST BUNNY-PLEASE HELP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judomamma

Reaction score
I posted yesterday to say our rabbit went missingafter a fright from a neighbour, she is still not back. anyideas as to wheere she may be hiding or what i do next.

please help me, my daughter is so upset and I hardly slept awink. The rabbits sister will not move from her spot andrefuses to go to the hutch.

jo x

Hiya, the bunny lives outside in a large hutchwith her sister. The sister is moving around the garden now,sniffing everywhere it is 8 am here in the uk. Still no signof Sooty, missing for 16 hours now. :(x

How horrible!

Well, get to searching! Check behind bushes, trees and inholes. Check out your yard completely and put up some posters beforegoing around. Look VERY carefully! And pray! I'm sureshe willcome home.

I have left the hole where they dug out yesterdayin case she tries to come back but the sister will not even go near thehole! She has put herself back in her hiding place. I thinkthese neighbours must have really frightened them both. Ihave put hope some reward posters now as the other please help postershad no results, perhaps people will bother to look if they feel theywill get something outta it! What a sad world. We live in aquiet lane and our garden backs onto a smaller lane with 3 houses whichin turn back farmland, so I am confident they are not in direct dangerwhen they are allowed to romp around int he garden. The breederrecommended it. They have such a wonderful life, that I amconvinced she would want to come home, so I am assuming the worst nowand it is so sad. Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement.

I have managed to catch Smarty, the sister and wehave had a good cuddle and she was purring nicely.I have shut her back in the hutch now as our breeder said it would bebest. She also said that the other may well be off having thetime of her life looking for a mate, let's hope that it the case andnot anything sinister. I never realised how painful losing apet would be, and she isn;t even my pet, she;s my daughters. I am everhopeful.

Jo, I am so sorry to hear this. DoesSooty have a favourite treat? Perhaps leaving them aroundmight encourage her back. The most likely places she will be in arebushes or anywhere she can hide. If someone has found her, they mayhave taken her to a local vet or shelter, so it's worth checking there.Other than that, all you can do is keep on searching and praying. Goodluck and keep us updated - Jan

Hiya Jan

Thanks for your comments. I am going out for another look nowand some reward notices so people will perhaps open their sheds up incase she got in there yesterday (as lots of people were gardening andstuff because it was such lovely weather). I have alsocontacted the local rabbit rescue and animal rescue.

she doesn't havea favourite treat, just loves cuddles!!! haveleft food and some hay and straw from their hutch near the opening,hopefully the scent will draw her back if she is able.

Hi

Sorry to hear your bun is gone. There are some things you can do:

Track down all your local RSPCA's - the ones in the town local to youwhere they take the animals for rehoming....Sometimes rabbits getpicked up by people who find them roaming and this tends to be thefirst place they look. Phone all the RSPCA's with a gooddescription of your bunny's size, colouring and temperament and if theyhaven't had any buns come in recectly at least they will be on thelookout.

Next visit this site:http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk- it's a uk site and organises rehoming of buns all over thecountry. If you have a good search there is a section of lostand founds - some kind person may have taken your bunny home.Also look for bunny or small animal sanctuaries in your area (not RSPCAowned) if your bunny has been caught by someone they may have taken itto a place locally - the thing is that when someone finds a pet bunnywantering they have no way of finding its home unless the bunny ismicrochipped to your address. Phone any local sanctuaries andagain provide a good decription and ask them to keep a look out.

I hope this provides some help to you. One of my bunnies camefrom the RSPCA and she was found wandering (presumably after havingescaped) - I made sure she was microchipped after thatincident.

I have my fingers and toes crossed for you and hope the search comes tosome good. Even if the rabbit is not found you will know youhave done everything you can.

HTH Rebecca. xxx

I thought I would share a story from mychildhood. I started out with ONE bunny rabbit...amale. We had him for quite a while and one day he got loosefrom his hutch. I was heartbroken and he was missing for twoweeks or so at least.

About a week after he got loose, mom got me another rabbit because Iwasheartbroken. Once again, we got a male (or so we weretold). I had this rabbit about a week when my dad wasvisiting someone about a mile away and they said, "Hey....doesn't yourdaughter have a white rabbit?". When he said, "Yes and itsbeen missing" they took him out to an old car.....where my rabbitwas.

Needless to say, I was thrilled when dad brought him home. Iwas even thrilled a short time later when I saw baby rabbits runningout of the hutch enclosure - I'd had no idea that the mom waspregnant...she'd had them inside her enclosed part (hard to describe).

My point is this - my bunny crossed a major highway and was gone forover two weeks....and I'm convinced that if he hadn't been captured andput in the car (they were feeding him and giving him water and hay,etc)....he would have returned.

So....don't give up on your bunny. Keep on doing what you're doing. I'm praying it comes back!

Peg

Thank you so much. I have done all thesanctuaries and rescues, pet shops and vets. even the scholl over theroad, in case she ends up there. I will definitely do therabbitrehome.org right away. I am actually overwhelmed by theresponse I am getting here. It was a long shot I thought lastnight, as I listened to my 10 year old crying her heart out inbed. I was searching for some clues as to where she may beand how to deal with the remaining rabbits grief when I came acrossthis site. So thank you all, you are kind and wonderful and agreat help.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I didn't see this thread and posted on the Lost Mate one.

Good thoughts and prayers sent your way.

I hope you get her back soon!!

~Jim

Jo, do not loose hope!! Im sure she will comeback. When rabbits are afraid they will run for cover. This happened tomy rabbit when she was small as well. Being a wonderful digger, myNuggi dug her way to the neighbour's house and went two doors down intosomeone's garage!

It wasn't until 2 weeks later, when I have lost all hope and shovedmany copies of Nuggi's face in my neighbour's letter boxes, that theyfound her! They put her in a bag and she wee-ed in there all scared.Now, it has been about 2 years from that incident and she is happy tobe back. I wish you all the luck in finding your bunny and keep up withpersuading the neighbours to search their lawns, she is probably hidingsomewhere close trying to find home.

Wishing you most luck in finding her.

Walking Mushroom

Rabbits generally circle around and stay in their"territory", especially when her "herd" (sister) is there.The best time to search would be later in the evening, when she's morelikely to come out. Rabbits can fit into very small places so"leave no stone unturned".

Please keep us updated.

Pam

I am gonna badger them everyday, as the more Iread on this wonderful site, the more I think I may still find heralive. I will ask permission later when they return from workto search their gardens myself.

jo

I'm so sorry to hear this, judomamma.

Include me in the list of people thinking and praying foryou. My heart goes out to you, the rabbits, and your10-year-old. No chance of you going over to the garden andhaving a peek now?Then again, they tend to graze atdawn and dusk, as Pam said - so you might seeSootythen.

Please let us know as soon as you find Sooty. Positive thoughts go out your way.

-Carolyn

I'll be thinking ofyou too. ;)We lost our ferret a few years ago. She got looseand we spent days looking for her. It's very difficult not knowingwhere they are, if they are safe....

I'll keep you in my prayers.

RaspberrySwirl

Latest posts

Back