Looking for Information and a little reassurance

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewels

Reaction score
Hi guys - I'm new to this forum, but not new to buns. I've been a bun mom to Charlie for going on 11 years now. We wouldn't trade him for anything!! We just got another bunny boy last week, Toaster, who is only 8 months old and had him neutered on Monday.

Well, something went wrong with Toaster (either at the vet or on the ride home - I can't be sure and it kills me) and he twisted his back and has a ruptured disk in his lower back (and hopefully not a full break). Right now he has no use of his back legs. The vet has put him on Medrol (an anti-inflammatory steroid) in hopes that it will help the nerves heal. While we have to help him urinate, he's had a healthy appetite and has been attempting to clean himself. He's bright-eyed and always happy to see us.

We've been really lucky with Charlie and the worse we've ever had to deal with was an upset tummy. So this is whole new territory for me. My heartbreaking question is obvious - what are his chances of getting any use of his legs back? Has anyone ever had success with the Medrol and how soon did you notice any improvement?

I know a wobbly bunny can still be independent - I'd be thrilled if he became at least a wobbly bunny. It kills me to think of the worst, but I know I have to prepare myself if he will be paralyzed permanently. The vet said if there weren't any results by the time he finishes the doses then he won't get any better. So that's 7 more days. My husband and I work full-time so we wouldn't be able to care for him long-term the way he deserves and putting him down would be the absolute complete last resort if we couldn't re-home him. I don't want to lose my baby bunny. Any help is greatly appreciated.

generally a week is a good indication of long term recovery. This just bites... I'm sorry this has happened to Toaster.

PLEASE do NOT rehome him unless it is to an established rabbit rescue that can deal with special needs bunnies. Either euthanize for HIS sake or keep him yourself. Do not pass him along to others to deal with as you don't know what they will do or be capable of truly handling.

Absolutely - for us to re-home him it would have to be with someone who spends their days and life caring for buns that need extra help and is devoted to them. We know we'll have to think about his quality of life... it just makes me feel horrible to think of what the right thing may be to do.

He messed himself while we were at work today so we had to give him a full bath - just his hind end really. We've been able to get away with spot cleaning for the last few days. It just made it even more real how unfair the situation is for him. He's just a baby!!!!! And yet here he is completely calm and trusting us to wash him without the slightest struggle.

After the bath, I just sat on the floor for a while cradling him in a loose cushy towel burrito. I felt a good cuddle would do us both some good. And in those moments he was just my baby bunny and everything was okay. I started tearing up and he put his head under my chin - then the tears just started rolling.

He's just sitting in his bed now happily munching on his baby spinach. And I'm still over here crying like a loser. It's just. not. fair.

I'm so sorry that this has happened to your sweet bun. Hopefully the damage is reversible. I agree that if there is a chance of recovery, you should see some sort of improvement in the first week.

If he doesn't recover mobility, buns with paralysis can still lead a good life if they cope well with the change in their mobility, and have someone that can devote the time necessary to care for the medical needs as well as plenty of mental stimulation, whether this ends up being with you or someone else that is capable of this quality of care. You may be interested in this other RO members blog about her disabled bun. As you will see, a disabled rabbit can still have a wonderful happy life with the proper care.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=78734&page=13

Also here are some other links with info on caring for a disabled rabbit.
http://www.disabledrabbits.com/
http://www.mohrs.org/hrswebpg19.html
http://www.catsandrabbitsandmore.com/disabled_rabbits
http://www.specialbunny.org/special-needs-housing/

I am really hoping your bun will end up being ok and regain function in his legs. You obviously care a great deal for him. He sounds like he is in the best of hands.

I have known quite a few people with disabled rabbits who have the time and energy to devote to caring for them and can make them an appropriate setup whose rabbits lead pretty happy lives. On the otherhand, if you don't feel that you have the time it takes to care for a rabbit who, say, can't empty his own bladder, a humane euthanasia is definitely an acceptable option.

Were any radiographs done to determine the location and type of problem?

Im so sorry I cant imagine going through this with my Ivy and hoping your bunny gets better, you seem to really love Toaster and he seems to 100% trust you which makes it so much harder thinking about putting him down or giving him to someone else but I dont think if it came right down to it Toaster would begrudge you putting him down.
Of course you might be able to find him a caring home who knew what they were doing to care for such a rabbit.
AGAIN IM SUPER SORRY FOR YOU AND TOASTER.

Medrol is a brand name and the active ingredient is Methylprednisolone which is a corticosteroid. Corticosteroids are risky for rabbits, but I think your vet is probably using them because its an extreme situation.

However....
You might want to read the medirabbit article (link below) and find out what the risks are. Also, it says not to use them for more than 5 days and lists some safer alternatives...

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Corticost/Cortico.htm

When are glucocorticosteroids used?

Glucocorticosteroids should only be given to rabbits when:
· The rabbit is in shock, e.g. after a spine fracture, but never longer than for 3 to 5 days.
· The rabbit suffers an allergic reaction (rare), or when the immune system of the rabbit is malfunctioning, attacking its own body and causing tissue damage (autoimmune disease, also rare). They are not useful in case of acute anaphylactic reaction, but may help prevent a relapse at a later time.
· Skin pruritus - to relieve the sensation of itching in the skin, when this is severe and cannot be relieved with other medication, and to avoid auto-mutilation or further damage of a limb or digit. It will not ease the rabbit's discomfort.
· Swelling of tissues inside the body when this is severe and threatens to damage critical body organs.

The use of corticosteroids should be avoided as they act as strong immunodepressants in rabbits (Jeklova et al., 2008). Furthermore, administration of steroids - in particular long-acting corticosteroids, can lead to serious side effects in rabbits:
· Gastro-intestinal ulcerations and hemorrhages;
· Hormonal imbalance due to suppression of adrenal gland activity;
· Delayed wound healing;
· Immunosuppression, permitting flare ups of latent bacterial or parasitic infections.

Thank you all for everything - especially for the information. No x-rays were taken - the vet could feel where the weakness in the back was almost instantly. The steroid was a last stitch effort. The more I think about it, I believe he may have already known Toaster's back was broken but he was just hoping for a miracle.

There hasn't been any change in my little guy sadly. He still eats well, but it's clear that he has no control over his bowels. We of course are still helping him and keeping him as clean as possible. He's a completely indoor bunny, so unless he brought something in with him he hopefully isn't at any risk right now with the lower immunity from the steroid. (fingers crossed - poor thing's been through enough!!) I have three pills left - so that's three days. I've been giving my boy all the baby spinach he can stuff his little face with (along with hay of course) because it seems to be his favorite.

Re-homing him would be my ultimate goal if he doesn't get any motion back. He's a sweet little bun who never rejects a cuddle. It wouldn't seem right to put him down, but I also don't want him suffering. I wish I had the means to care for him the way he deserves - it absolutely breaks my heart.

Latest posts

Back