Looking for a frind

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buck rogers

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I are thinking of getting asecond bunny for our Ella (the ms paint bunny in my avatar). Weperferably would like to rescue one like we did with Ella and arekeeping an eye on the local shelter, we would also prefer an olderbunny and one thing we have thought of is maybe buying a retiredbreeding rabbit from a breeder.
The only thing that worries us about the later is that we both have the preconception
that a rabbit thats been bred its whole life would only wantto mount our Ella. Ether way the bunny we get would beneutred if not already. Is our fear about a breeder bunny at allreasonable or are we just being silly in thinking that?
pic of our lil Ella:

I am glad you want to get a friend for Ella!

Is Ella spayed? If she isn't you may want to spay her and make sure thenew bun is also spayed/neutered before going any further. Altered bunsusually bond better, from what I have been reading.

I would not worry at all about a former breeder rabbit mounting her, aslong as he is neutered and has time to "settle down" before trying tobond him with Ella.

I think adopting a rabbit is a wonderful idea! Adoptable rabbits areusually already spayed/neutered, working on or completed their litterbox training, and really need a home!

I am currently searching for a female rabbit to bond to my two neuteredboys. I have many options on where to get the bun from, I just have totravel a-ways. I have received much help from a lot of people onbonding and what I need to do. Make sure if you have ANY question, atall, to just ask it...everyone here is VERY helpful:D.

- Amy

Yeah Ella is spayed and rescueing is our firstchoice, but we would like to stay local this time (we drove 14 hoursfor Ella) and the options for adoption around here are limited, thelocal shalter only gets bunnies once in a blue moon.
p.s. It should say friend not frind at the top i should slow down when I'm typing.

Any unneutered male rabbit is going to want tomount your doe. So is any unneutered female rabbit if she wants to bethe dominant rabbit in the home.

So it isn't an issue of being a "breeder bunny" or not - its a matter of being a "neutered bunny" or not.

Also - even a neutered rabbit will at times mount to show dominance. Atleast that is what I've seen and heard - but it isn't like it is overlycommon.

By the way, as breeder, I have bucks that have seen action once ortwice in 6 months...or once in a year. Others might have seen actionseveral times in a month. No matter how often they've beenbred...they're always willing to breed....but they aren't usuallyoverly agressive. Then again, I breed for MILD MANNERED lionheads.

Peg

Latest posts

Back