Lonely bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shainabee

Reaction score
I think I am over worrying but I think Miley might be becoming a little lonely when I am not home. She lives off of my attention because it is all she gets so when I'm not here the poor thing only has herself. She doesn't play with any toys I make or buy her so I am considering getting another female frenchie for her, I found one that is only 2 weeks older than her and is a "solid chestnut." (brown?)

I know I got lucky with Miley because she was handeld the everyday from the day she got her fur so she is very friendly - this other bunny is an "indoor, outdoor" rabbit so I am not sure of the handling it has had but that shouldn't be too big of a concern since she is still only 4 months old.

If I did plan on getting her, I am taking Miley with me to let me sniff if out there first because it is quite a drive. I know Miley is okay with others because her and my male lionhead play through the cages haha, but he is just a foster so he won't be here by the time she is spayed.

How big should the cage be for two french lops?
How do I bond them? I don't want to come home to someone bitten up.
Do I long do I keep them seperated for?

i noticed wit my single bun that he tends to be more affectionate towards me than my bonded buns...but then again the bonded buns are more outgoing and less nervous. may be the breeds though, not sure.

if you take her with you, see how she reacts. most times they will fight either way at first meetings and it takes time but sometimes you can tell by the aggression levels of either rabbit. its best to have both fixed before introducing. and two french lops...i would imagine a big cage. min for one rabbit is able to stand ok, 3 hops length wise and laying out width wise comfortably.

If you think she might need a friend, it's good to at least see how she reacts to another bunny. I was hesitant to get Tony a bondmate at first, but I know he's very happy now. Definitely take her with you to see the other rabbit, and have them meet in a neutral space that neither lives in. Watch for chasing in circles, biting, etc. Humping is fine, even if they're both girls, since it's about dominance. The new bunny may warm up to you with time, but if you're not sure about her, don't get her. Bunny bonding and getting a new bunny is one of those things you just have to follow your heart on.

I am also nervous that if I do go on with it and get this other bun, Miley will stop being as affectionate because she will have someone new :( haha

I love being the center of her world, all the love she gives me. I don't want her to drop me for a new bun.

I must sound crazy saying that haha.

No, that's not crazy. It's true. Tony used to circle me all the time when he had his binky-fests, now he and Muffin binky together when I'm not around, and he circles her. That might be a legitimate concern, unless you really do spend a lot of time away from home (I work looong days in grad school), in which case she could really use a buddy. If you guys get enough quality time together, it makes sense to keep her an only bun.

I would only add that I think bonding goes quite a bit better when both parties are spayed/neutered... raging hormones caused misunderstandings between my buns, and made the process a lot more challenging. They got on famously after desexing.

NorthernAutumn wrote:
I would only add that I think bonding goes quite a bit better when both parties are spayed/neutered... raging hormones caused misunderstandings between my buns, and made the process a lot more challenging. They got on famously after desexing.
Absolutely wait until both are spayed/neutered, it will go much better then, if you do!:D

I went through two difficult bondings that were both more than worth it. My dutch WAS more affectionate and sought us out more before she had a rabbit companion, however.. she is happier now. She is still affectionate, and the other bunny is even more affectionate. They both come right over to us for pets, but they have each other when we're not around, so we don't feel guilty for depriving them.

I think most rabbits benefit greatly from having a companion. Even if the bonding process takes a long time. In my opinion, most rabbits are happier with a rabbit friend. And there is little cuter than two buns snuggling.
When my rabbit lost her first companion she became more "affectionate" again.. but she seemed lost and lonely.. almost obsessively seeking us out. My boyfriend and I work full time, so we're away for over 8 hours each day. I think the rabbits are much happier having each other for these long hours. They are still happy to see us and want our affection when we come home.

It's always nice to feel important and needed, and it's natural to fear that bond weakening with the addition of a companion.. but at the same time your rabbit is still going to love you and seek out your attention, yet will also have another friend in your absence.

Keep in mind that male and female pairs tend to be easier to bond, though it's possible to bond most any two rabbits, regardless of sex.. it may be a little more difficult to bond two females. All rabbits should be spayed/neutered, preferably before bonding (essentially if you have opposite sexes).. and spaying is also more expensive than neutering. I don't want to discourage you from the current bunny you're considering, just be sure to consider those factors.

Yes. There are a lot of factors I am having to consider.

1.the bonding process
2.waiting like 4 more months until spaying Miley. Everywhere it says, says wait until she is 8 months since she is a french lop.
3.the cage and housing for TWO frenchies and if I have the room for another one.
4. miley's happiness
5 ect..

I definately recommend a friend. Bonded pairs are so much fun to watch snuggle, groom and play.

Do you have your heart set on a French Lop? I'm with the Daytona Beach chapter of Gainesville Rabbit Rescue and we have over 100 wonderful rabbits waiting for forever homes. Our rabbits are spayed/neutered, litter box trained, and we can tell you about their personalities. We also do bunny dates so Miley can choose her new friend. Check out our rabbits at gainesvillerabbitrescue.org.

Let me know if I can help.

I have decided to get Miley a friend.

I am going tomorrow to pick up a male frenchie who is 2 months old. I am going to keep their cages next to each other until their bonded / fixed.
At what age does a male become fertile? My vet said they can spay Miley when is around 5 months old, if needed but I don't know if I like it that early.

Here are some photos of the little guy.

000_0091.jpg

000_0092.jpg

000_0094.jpg

Here is Miley :
I took her to work with me the other day and let her play in the laundry room haha.
IMG00085.jpg

IMG00088.jpg

She took no time to get comfy all the piles of dog beds.

What a beautiful bunny - the male is very handsome also.
Im kinda biased in regards to lops though, having 5 of them.

I've heard/read 4-6mos of age for males being neutered.
Im taking my 4mos.this Tuesday for his.
Good luck with the bonding, they'd make a cute couple:blushan:

What cuties! I think the boy may already be fertile at his age. I'd keep them separate at least until she's fixed, and probably best to wait until 2 weeks after they're both fixed.

I got the little boy home, I have decided to name him Clyde.
Here are some photos there and back. I took Miley with me so SHE could pick out her own buddy haa.

Her being a brat.
IMG00091.jpg

When we got there, there was a small fenced yard for bun dates and I let Miley see them for only like 1 minute to see how she reacted, some of them actually lunged her and since they were all 6 weeks old they were half her size haha- but we found the oneshe went up to, sniffed, and turned away from.

Clyde
IMG00093.jpg

On the way home, Miley refused to sit anywhere BESIDES on top of the carrier Clyde was in.
IMG00094.jpg

"I wanna see out"
IMG00092.jpg

Clyde is such a sweet boy, he will sit there and just let you love on him without moving a muscle. That is also what drew me to him more than the others the women tried pushing on me.

IMG00098.jpg

It didn't take him long to find all of Miley toys and crinkle tunnels haha :)

IMG00108.jpg

and the food bowl!

IMG00117.jpg

Although, Clyde did have fleas on him. I have already flea combed him and feel like I got 90% of them. All of the fleas were on his head - no where else. I think that due to the fleas being in one spot he scratched himself hairless on the top of his heck / neck.

IMG00102.jpg

IMG00101.jpg

His coat is full and thick everywhere else. Just where all the fleas were - the hair is gone. Should I be very very concerned?

*also, sorry I didn't resize the photos. I didn't have enough time too.

Latest posts

Back