Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmo the bunny

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to this forum and the bunny world in general! I got a male angora bunny about 2 mos ago. He is the sweetest little thing in the whole world, very friendly and social with my Guinea pigs and calm dog. During the week I am gone 8am-6pm due to school and sports. My parents check on him throughout the day and feed him. He free roams in my bedroom 24/7 and can visit my piggies whenever he wants. We tried to bond him with two female bunnies, but he was scared and thumped/growled a lot, and spent the whole time hiding. Would he benefit from another bunny friend?

Is your bun and the buns you tried to bond fixed?

There are many buns that can do just fine as single buns. There are some that seem to really need the companionship of another bunny. But I have had singles that seemed to thrive as they were. I would never recommend an outdoor bun to be single, but an indoor bun that is part of the household and around the daily activities of home life can do well.

That said, I would not allow him to have any direct contact with the guinea pigs and vice versa. There are illnesses (like bordetella, pasteurella) that one can carry that is harmful (or deadly) to the other species.

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/guinea-pigs-and-rabbits-why-not.109097/
If your boy is not neutered, he won't be able to bond with another rabbit regardless. How old is he? Hormones affect different rabbits to different degrees.

He is 10 mos old, we are going to get him neutered soon. The female bunnies we tried to bond him with were spayed. I’m sure my piggies are healthy, and don’t know how I could separate them because they all have to live in my bedroom. Thanks for the advice though! And yes, he lives full time inside.

Just read the link, and I will keep that in mind from now on, thanks.
When we had piggies and rabbits, the rabbits had free roam on the floor, while the piggies had their cage on a table. This way, they could not have any direct contact. (Just to clarify, what illness one species can carry can be perfectly harmless (and without symptoms) to themselves but can pass unseen to the other species.)

1671682405815.jpeg

Back