Lola is still sneezing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kohana

Reaction score
So it all started when I got home from work on Monday night. I came in to see Lola hunched up sneezing constantly.I opened up her cage and she ran out a few steps then started sneezing again. I was instantly worried and looked at her face to see if I could see any discharge. None. So I called the emergency vet (as mine was closed) and asked them what they thought. They told me to keep an eye on her for the next few hours and if she is still sneezing lots to give them a call back or bring her in. Over the next few hours her sneezing became less frequent but she would still go into fits. So I packed her up and took her to the emergency vets. After waiting 3 1/2 hours we finally saw a vet and she said that Lola was perfectly healthy. She took her in the back and put her under some anethesia to do an oral exam to see if she had anything wedged in the back of her mouth. Nothing. So the vet gave her an antihistamine shot saying it may be either allergies or some dust or something stuck in her nose. The vet told me to keep an eye on her for the next day or two.

We came home from work yesterday andshe only sneezed a few times. She only had one little sneeze fit that only lasted a few seconds. But this morning she was running to her cage and got another sneeze fit, this one lasted for a bit. I don't know what todo. I really, really can't afford another expensive trip to the vet(the last one costed me $300).Does anyone have any other suggestions on what this may be orhow I can help her? I'mgetting really worried :tears2:

Oh I should also mention that she has been eating and pooping regularly. Any help or suggestions you may have will be greatly appreciated.

There is no need to take her to the emergency vet for sneezing, but she probably has an upper respiratory infection. It is true that usually there is discharge, but maybe it is only a small amount that she has been grooming away. I can't remember your other posts on this matter, but have you ruled out dust allergies to any new products you've been using? New hay, new litter, etc.? She probably needs antibiotics, but this does not require an emergency visit. Just make a normal appointment with hopefully a vet who is experienced with rabbits.

is there anything in her environment that you changed recently..ex type of hay, litter or anything else that you can think of..

What type of litter and hay do you use for her?

. If they gave her an antihistamine injection possibly it wore off ; you said that she was fine yesterday Right?

if there was something in her nose did they remove it or just guess at that ?

it also could be a respiratory infection ; is there any discharge from her nose? is her nose wet? did the emergency vet take her temperature. ?
I believe that you can call the emergncy vet clinic and ask some questions becauseshe was a recent patient

Ask them if the injection they gave her would have worn off . ask them what they think that a vet would do next. it is possible that you could try an oral antihistimine for her and that they could suggest the medication
If that doesn't help and the sneezing persists you may need to vist a regular rabbit vet but I'm sure the charges would not be as high as an emergency vet.

Nothing really changed recently in her cage. I was using a bag of store bought timothy hay but after that incident I started using a fresher hay that I bought from a farm. And for her litter I use a corncob litter. She has been using it for over two weeks now so I don't think that is it. I did wash her blanket on Sunday and I was wondering if it was the detergent that I use so I swapped out her washed one for the one she used all last week (it was new so it hasn't been washed).

The vet just guessed that there was something in her nose, she said that she couldn't check it though. They did take her temperature and check her vitals, hydration, etc. but the vet didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Her nose isn't wet or anything so I don't think she is having any discharge (or if she is it is very little).

I think I am going to call the emergency vet tonight and see what they suggest. Maybe they will be able to talk to the vet and she will prescribe some anitibiotics without me having to pay a bunch of money to come in. I think I vaguely remember her saying to call them back and she will get me some anitbiotics if she is still sneezing.

If it is going to be a bunch of money to go there again then I will just call my regular vet to make an appointment with them.

Pebbles sneezes and continues to sneeze forthe last 2years. It is something she has and will live with it for the rest of her life. She continues to have a normal life except for the sneezing and it does not affect any other bunnies around her.

If you think Lola is sneezing and has a stuffy nose, I use the regularClaritin Nasal Mist, and give Pebbles a shot towards her nose to help clear up any congestion. (Recommended by my Vet).

Hmm since I got Lola she has always sneezed once in a while, but never this much. She will sit up on her hind legs and open her mouth on the right side (she almost looks like she has indented her face on the right side) and puts her front paws up near her face. She acts completely normal except for this, she has no appetite loss and normal poop.

So I'm not sure if it is an infection, just a normal thing for her or allergies. :dunno:

It's not good protocol to give antibiotics for a possible upper respiratory infection without doing a culture and sensitivity test. If you think she has a URI, and not just some sneezing episodes caused perhaps by dusty hay or bedding, you should get her mucus cultured and tested for antibiotic sensitivity. They may put her on a broad-spectrum antibiotic like Baytril while you're waiting for results. Most URIs are resistant to Baytril, which is probably the prescription they'd call in for you, so taking it could be detrimental--it wouldn't help her and could make any future illnesses she may have resistant to Baytril.

It's not an emergency, so I'd set up an appointment with your regular vet and ask for culture and sensitivity. It probably won't cost as much as the emergency vet did.

It could just be a bit of sneezing too. Tony did this once, and had some mucus, and we were going out of town the next day so I rushed him to the only vet that could take me early the next morning. He was fine, the mucus was gone, it was just a little nose thing that passed.

Hmm okay thanks. I will probably call the regular vet tonight and make an appointment just to make double sure it isn't an infection.

tonyshuman wrote:
It's not good protocol to give antibiotics for a possible upper respiratory infection without doing a culture and sensitivity test. If you think she has a URI, and not just some sneezing episodes caused perhaps by dusty hay or bedding, you should get her mucus cultured and tested for antibiotic sensitivity. They may put her on a broad-spectrum antibiotic like Baytril while you're waiting for results. Most URIs are resistant to Baytril, which is probably the prescription they'd call in for you, so taking it could be detrimental--it wouldn't help her and could make any future illnesses she may have resistant to Baytril.
I agree with the culture test being needed. I also agree that it could be nothing, as I have a rabbit that sneezes sometimes and has no discharge at all. If there is an upper respitory infection detected, I would tell the vet to give Zithromax, which Randy greatly recommends for URIs.

Keep us posted please!;)

Well it seems like it was nothing. She hasn't sneezed since last Wednesday and she never had any discharge. I'm thinking it might have been just something irritating her nose. Thanks everyone :)

Latest posts

Back