Lola can't use her hind legs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry to hear about the bunny. That poor little girl, what a horrible thing to have happened... :hug:

Kathy, you didn't do anything wrong. It just sounds like a freak accident to me. Poor Lola and you. I will hope for the absolute best, buns can get by in this condition, try not to worry too terribly much, I know it's hard not to.

Here's hugs for you both!:hug2:Keep us posted!

I'm so sorry :(

These things are just freaky. Wasn't it this past summer that we heard of a breeder who lost their bunny because it had this happen while trimming toenails?

Rabbits' backs are fragile. Some even more than others.

:hug:

I really don't think you did anything wrong. I've heard of rabbits hurting themselves either because they were scared or happy. One breeder I know had a rabbit she loved dearly - one of her favorites and one day he was jumping all over his cage having a wonderful time and he jumped wrong - landed - and had broken his back. She said it broke her heart to put him down. Had she done anything wrong? Not at all.

I'm so sorry though that this has happened.

Peg

Evey, I'm so sorry about your girl. It's absolutly not your fault. I have had this happen to me once in all the years I have had rabbits, and with my buck he wasn't dropped or manhandled, or even spooked by anything that I know of. Just at evening feeding he was fine, playing with his brothers in the brood cage, the next morning he was unable to walk.

When you said that about the loss of bladder and bowel control, it jsut made my heart sink, it sounded exactly like what my buck, Courage, did. I had to express his bladder too, I basically just held him over the toilet and gently pressed down on his lower belly. I know it's terrible news, but it is possible for them to live without use of the hind legs. There are carts with wheels that support the hindquarters, she would pull it behind her using her front paws. I will be praying for your Lola, I hope there is something the vet can do.

Yeah a girl who volunteers with Midwest has Janet/Lola now and shes keeping her immobile for a month and giving her pain meds. The vet said its possible but unlikely she will walk again.

Midwest does have a spare wheelchair and has had to have a bunny use one before so thats an option if need be to help her live a decent life. Its just so heartbreaking because we really dont know what happened here.

Shes in good hands now though, and she'll get all the care she needs. :hug:

Here's a mini-update on the situation:

I talked to Dominique from Midwest today, and she said that these things can be freak accidents, like you guys have been telling me. I really didn't want people thinking I'm some horrible bunny mom or something- I feel terrible and super awkward about the whole thing. I'm glad she's in good hands though!I think she will be staying with a volunteer for the rest of her life. I will be paying for some vet costs and am willing to help out in any way I can :?

I appreciate everyone who has replied to this thread; it really means a lot!

-Kathy

Evey, I for one don't think you had anything to do with the accident and I hope no one else does! I don't think they do. Bunnies are so fragile... I know I've been more worried about my babies since this happened to Lola (Tallulah sometimes has iffy balance when she's standing up on her hind legs and yesterday I saw her standing like that right on the edge of the low ledge in her cage, with her back to the edge! Eek!). Again, I'm so sorry :(

Evey wrote:
I really didn't want people thinking I'm some horrible bunny mom or something-
There is NO way we could think that - you did a great job of getting her help and getting it quickly....I think you're awesome.

I know this has been hard for you - but really - you did a great job getting her help ASAP.

Peg

TinysMom wrote:
Evey wrote:
I really didn't want people thinking I'm some horrible bunny mom or something-
There is NO way we could think that - you did a great job of getting her help and getting it quickly....I think you're awesome.

I know this has been hard for you - but really - you did a great job getting her help ASAP.

Peg

:yeahthat:Sometimes, these things just happen. At least all that could be done, is being done - don't blame yourself

Jan

i know this is an old thread and i havent been here in awhile but
whatever happened to the bunny?

We could never figure out what happened to the bun since she had been alone in her cage. It seemed like since her cage was plastic bottomed, she could have just slipped very badly or went berserk in her cage when no one was home and injured herself. Kathy and her boyfriend are amazing bunny parents and felt awful about the whole thing. We all agreed getting her back to the rescue where a foster mom wih special needs experience could care for her around the clock.

She still has no use of her hind limbs but her foster mommy takes very good care of her and expresses her bladder for her. She scoots around with her front limbs and, last I heard, they were going to try her in a bunny wheelchair to see how she did.

Latest posts

Back