Lola can't use her hind legs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evey

Reaction score
So, I adopted Lola (Janet)on Sunday, and when I brought her home she didn't want to move around outside of her cage. I contributed this to the fact that my home was a new environment and she was scared.

Monday, she ate, drank, and pooped just fine. However, she was VERY moody and territorial of her cage. I immediately thought,"omg, this is Sadie all over again" and thought I'd exchange her for Alvin at the rescue. She still seemed to have mobility though at this time.

Tuesday (today) lateafternoon, my boyfriend came home from work and checked on all the bunnies to find Lola lying down funny. He took her out to run around, but she screamed and wouldn't move her hind legs. She crawled around though...

Upon futher investigation, she doesn't seem to have control over her bladder as she keeps peeing on my boyfriend.

I am at school right now (about an hour away from my bunnies) with a strange class schedule so I can't come home until about 3:30 pm tomorrow to take her to a vet unless my boyfriend can get off work.

Anyway, this is a strange situation because I was going to go this weekend and exchange her for Alvin...I have NO idea what's caused this as she's been in a cage alone.

I thought I'd post on here to see anyone's thoughts on what's the problem before she can go to a vet tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,

Kathy

Oh Kathy, poor Lola:(. Sounds like she's in pain as well. I'm not positive, wonder if maybe she's broken her back or something similiar:?:(. Gosh, I hope not. I'm sure others will be by to give you some ideas.

I'll be watching this:pray:.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Oh Kathy, poor Lola:(. Sounds like she's in pain as well. I'm not positive, wonder if maybe she's broken her back or something similiar:?:(. Gosh, I hope not. I'm sure others will be by to give you some ideas.

Yeah, my boyfriend gave her some metacam to help with the pain. I've heard that rabbits can break their backs so easily, even by kicking the wrong way or something in their cage :?

I'll keep you updated!

Evey wrote:
AngelnSnuffy wrote:

Yeah, my boyfriend gave her some metacam to help with the pain. I've heard that rabbits can break their backs so easily, even by kicking the wrong way or something in their cage :?

I'll keep you updated!
Please do. I'm glad he gave her some Metacam, that's great. Good Luck and I hope it's not that;).

Oh no! How awful for you and Lola. :(

How close are you to the shelter? They probably have reduced rates for their vet care, they should work with you on this. :(

Hope she's okay, but honestly, doens't sound good. You can have swelling and strains that can affect mobility,but whileI'm no expert,loss of bladder control sounds ominous.

Keep her totally confined so she can't even turn around if you can. Maybe get her in a carrier with towels on the sides to keep her still?I think Randy just suggested that in another thread.

Not sure what her housing is now, I suspect moving her anywhere will be a problem, so whatever it takes to avoid as much movement as possible is best.

sas :pray:

Update:

Lola is going to Haley's for the night then off to the vet in the morning.

It's so hard for me since I'm not at home, and I don't know what caused this...

and I swear no one dropped her or anything like that :?

I don't want to sound scary but you may want to discuss the possibility of EC (e cunniculi) with the vet. One of the first signs is problems with the hind legs and I know Ginger had bladder problems with it too.

It may not be that but it is always good to look at the options.

Peg

TinysMom wrote:
I don't want to sound scary but you may want to discuss the possibility of EC (e cunniculi) with the vet. One of the first signs is problems with the hind legs and I know Ginger had bladder problems with it too.

Peg

Thanks Peg, I hadn't even thought of that:(. I'm glad she's going to Haley's but I'm so sorry Kathy.

I'm praying for the best:pray:.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
TinysMom wrote:

Peg

Thanks Peg, I hadn't even thought of that:(. I'm glad she's going to Haley's but I'm so sorry Kathy.

I'm praying for the best:pray:.
yeah, that is actually the first thing I thought of when I found out. Thanks so much for praying for her!

That's what I thought of too. I've got to admit, I avoid these threads sometimes..... it's not that I'm not thinking of you and praying for Lola, it just breaks my heart to read about a bunny so sick. :(

My guess is thatEC is unlikely, or at least secondary, but it would sure beat a fracture.:( This soundslike Lola may have had a problem when she got there and it went down hill from there.

Poor bunny. :(

And poor Haley and Kathy. :cry2

sas :tears2:

Yeah I dont think this is EC, its just too sudden and too severe.

She definitely has no use of her hind legs and has them positioned at a weird angle under her body and to the side. I was so scared she might not make it last night, she really looked like she was in a lot of pain. I gave her some more Metacam and some pedialyte. I then wrapped her in a towel and put her in a carrier for the night so she couldnt move very much. She ate the veggies I had in there overnight so thats good at least.

The bad news is I got up way early planning just to take her to the vet myself this morning (praying my brother's crappy astro van would make the trip). I called just now and the vet who treats rabbits is out for two weeks. I know the shelter uses other vets but this one is the best and the only one Ive been to. So Im waiting to hear from Dominique and hopefully we can get her to another vet.

:(

ok I just got the bunny to Dominique. She felt just as awful about the whole thing since we dont know how this happened. Shes taking her to the vet right away. Theres an awesome volunteer who fosters needy bunnies who will be housing her for now. She'll take amazing care of her.

I think we should try to do a fundraiser for Midwest. The diagnostics alone (xraysetc)for Janet/Lola are going to be so expensive.

Haley wrote:
I think we should try to do a fundraiser for Midwest. The diagnostics alone (xraysetc)for Janet/Lola are going to be so expensive.
That's a good idea. I usually donate to Midwest a couple times a year anyway.

I hope Lola is OK. Keep us updated.

Oh boy...that sounds spinal to me. Haley...if you guysget herto the vet and they are not familiar with dealing with rabbit spinals....they can call me. If it is spinal, most likely there will be a luxation at L7. It depends on if there is damage to the spinal cord. If is just a luxation with pressure on the cord, I have treated that before but it needs to be quick and aggressive. With the scream and loss of bladder control....I am veryworried.

Randy

Ok, so here is what I know so far...

Janet got x-rayed, and the vet said that her last vertebrae is disclocated or fractured.

She is staying with one of the volunteers from Midwest as she needs to have her bladder expressed 4 times a day and needs to be kept immbolized.

It is unlikely that she will regain use of her hind legs.

I've been replaying and thinking of the events that took place since we got her, and nothing seems to make sense as to why this happened...like I've told Haley, the only thing I can think of is that Leo mounted her while in the play pen at the rescue then again in the carrier before we decided to put her in her own carrier. But, I don't know if that could break a bunny's back...

Latest posts

Back