Litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreezeNkody

4 Fuzz-Butts
Reaction score
I use wood pellets and am very satisfied. I don't get that same brand that you linked. You just want to be sure there is no accelerant in it.

I used to use Yesterdays News unscented litter, which is also good, but pricey. (I've used Carefresh also but found it too messy)

I don't know if you noticed on that link that you must order a minimum of 50 bags.

I get my bags from a feed store (they are also sold for use in horse stalls). Mine cost about $8 per bag, but the bag lasts roughly 2 months for my 2 bunnies.

I use the Yesterdays News as well (I usually buy a bunch when it goes on sale). I really like the Carefresh but it doesn't last as long for me.

I really wish I could find a litter liner, but I'm too afraid of them eating plastic. The bottom of my litter pans are always stained from their pee.. no matter how much I soak and scrub, I can't get rid of it

I use that now. Lasts for a long time and is pretty good. Only thing I can say is that it got stuck to my rabbit's fur a little bit because it turns into fine sawdust when wet.

This is how I make my litterbox -

Newspaper over bottom, a little bit of newspaper on the sides, too.

Pour in a bit of the pellets.

Newspaper layer again. Works just fine, and it fixes the sticking-to-fur problem if you'll ever get it.. c:

wood pellets like that are totally fine as long as they don't say they have an accelerant added (if it doesn't say anything, that means it doesn't). they're probably the #1 most popular litter choice due to their low cost, their absorbency and their good odor control.

I use a grid in my boxes, so I've never had a problem with it turning to sawdust - I love the grid, as it means the bunnies never have to stand in their waste.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=53690&forum_id=93 (check 1/3 of the way down the first page)

I use that now. Lasts for a long time and is pretty good. Only thing I can say is that it got stuck to my rabbit's fur a little bit because it turns into fine sawdust when wet.

This is how I make my litterbox -

Newspaper over bottom, a little bit of newspaper on the sides, too.

Pour in a bit of the pellets.

Newspaper layer again. Works just fine, and it fixes the sticking-to-fur problem if you'll ever get it.. c:

So you line the bottom and then on top of the litter with full sheets of newpaper? Interesting. Do you change that daily? It seems like it would make the pee spread and ruin the rest of the litter? Or is that just an assumption? I may try that.

I'm using the tractor supply brand horse stall pellets, THEY'RE AMAZING! Used to people would come over and say ewww your house stinks, now you can't even tell...even when his box is full I wish I had bought it sooner. And it's like 5.99 for a HUGE bag! :D

I'll have to take a look at that, what are they made out of?

My family heats using pellets and it's mostly softwood(?) I could be getting it backwards. I'm always afraid of Peanut eating it.. she tries to eat EVERYTHING. I'd like to find someone that almost clumps like cat litter when wet instead of absorbing and falling apart. We need some Rabbit friendly scientists on this!

So you line the bottom and then on top of the litter with full sheets of newpaper? Interesting. Do you change that daily? It seems like it would make the pee spread and ruin the rest of the litter? Or is that just an assumption? I may try that.

I don't think it ruins the rest of the litter. I do change it every two days, sometimes every day, it depends, this is probably because of the box's size. The bottom layer of newspaper reduces the bedding from sticking to the sides and the waste falls out easier. I'd like to get her a much bigger litterbox but that will be in a while(she has a small cage but she has a room to be in, I plan on making a bigger cage soon).

problem is, anything clumping is VERY bad, as it can be fatal if ingested. wood stove pellets are interchangeable with feed store wood pellets meant for horses as long as they don't have an accelerant added and both are safe if nibbled. that said, the grid I recommended above works wonders to prevent eating and/or digging in litter.

I really wish I could find a litter liner, but I'm too afraid of them eating plastic. The bottom of my litter pans are always stained from their pee.. no matter how much I soak and scrub, I can't get rid of it

Have you soaked the stain in vinegar? That really helps. I use the wood pellets (as I mentioned earlier) and then top it with hay. I find that I only need to change the litterbox twice per week. (Over Christmas I stretched that to one full week before it got smelly) Here's how I do it:

16589_242226_010000000.jpg

I use the Kaytee Soft Granule Blend Bedding for my rabbits. It does make a mess with 1 of my rabbits because it sticks to her fur. With my other rabbit I do not notice a problem. I also bought a bag of the yesterdays news a few weeks ago to test it out (even though I have 6 full bags of the kaytee that I got when they were on sale). I have found that with the yesterdays news everything comes right out of the box when it needs to (dumping/cleaning). Last time I cleaned the box (after a week of not cleaning it) I decided to see how bad it smelled. I stuck my nose pratically in the box and could not smell anything. I have a fealling that I will be switching soon.

pine is a no-no in shavings form, but that stuff is kiln-dried, a process that removes the phenols (which is what's toxic about pine) - those are safe to use.

I'll soak mine in vinegar, then I use a wood chisel or putty knife to scrape the caked pee layer off the bottom of the litter box. If I soak it long enough it usually scrapes off pretty easily.

I'm lazy, I scrape what I can whenever I dump the box and every 1-2 changes, I'll take 'em outside and spray them down with the hose, but I just don't care about stains on a part of the box you can only see when it's empty, lol. I just get a new box every few months 'cause they're cheap.

Latest posts

Back