litter tray ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chloe77

Reaction score
i was wondering if i could put a kitten litter tray in the sleeping compartment of my rabbits cage as this is where they tend to wee and poop...i clean this bit out everyday and put clean newspaper/sawdust and hay down...but i was thinking that it would be a lot cleaner to use a kitten litter tray...then urine wouldnt soak into the wood...also is it a good idea to use disinfectant everytime i clean the cage?

Yes, you can uses litter trays. Alot of rabbits are litter trained.

For disinfectants, if they are rabbit safe, its okay, and you can also used a mixture of vinigear and water.

A kitty litter tray may work. Will it fil the entire compartment?

I have found that often the bunny will be sitting in the litter box and if the edge is not high enough, they'll pee right over the edge. Which is just as gross as not having a litter box. So it may work better to try to find something with high sides and cut down a section where the door to the sleeping compartment is for easy access.

As for dissenfecting, what kind of disinfectant are you using? I always clean my cages out with diluted white vinegar. Gets rid of urine odours and cleans up stains nicely.

--Dawn

Yep, I use litter trays in my girls house. :)

You don't really need to put down litter anywhere else in the hutch, if you just have it in the tray. All of my own rabbits have preferred this.

I agree with Dawn, they will pee over the sides if they aren't high enough. If your buns are smallish you could get one of those corner rabbit litter trays, though I know they'd be too small for my own.

I also use litter trays in my girls' hutch and they use it fine. I'm also pet-sitting a bun at the moment who only goes to the loo in his bed area (sounds like your buns ;))so I just put newspaper over the floor of the entire hutch then put a large litter tray filled with a layer of litter then topped with plenty of hay in the bed area and it works great. Just make sure you usea big enough litter tray - the bigger it is the more poops it catches.;)

It is also a good idea to disinfect the hutch when you clean it out, however I only use a mild spray disinfectant (called 'Keep it clean') for daily/weekly cleaning, and then give the hutches a full scrub out with disinfectant every so often. Although you may wantto disinfect your hutchmore often until your buns get the hang of the litter box.:)

thanks...i will go and buy a litter tray and try it...i always put a lot of paper down anyway so if it doesnt work..oh well!!
i am using a cage disinfectant i bought from a pet shop..but now im just going to try the vinegar:)

these are my babies btw...pippin is the black one and the other is muffin:D

They also have litters for rabbits, so it may not be as big as a cat box, and wont take up to much room. My rabbit has a cat box, but he also doesnt have a cage he free roams, so the box doesnt take up any room to him lol. But you can train them to use it.

I purchased a cat litter box that has a bit of a lip to it. Of course...Elf has 3 litter boxes and a Pet Taxi inside of her cage. She uses one litter box to poop as she eats. She uses another to pee, and the other to do both. :shock: Crazy bunny.

Latest posts

Back