Litter training while in cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amethystkytten

Reaction score
I have two bunnies-Cookie pees religiously in the litter box but my newest baby Callie was never exposed fully the litterbox.When we got Cookie we kept her in a cage with a plastic bottom and she seemed to instantly take to the litterbox but when Callie came home we had bought a new cage with a wire bottom and she just has never peed in the litterbox now she is starting to pee on my carpet in front of my door.Is there anyway to get her started in the right direction towards peeing in the litterbox instead of where she stands?When they free roam I have a litterbox for them to use on the floor and I made a ramp so they can go back into their cage on their own.

Place a litter box in the cage with either a hay rack hanging above the litter box so your bun has to be completely in the litter box to eat or place a pile of hay in a corner of the litter box. Buns tend to potty while eating so this should help.

Put any poops outside of the litter pan into it. For any urine soak a piece of paper towel in the urine and place this in the litter pan. Clean any surfaces with a mix of vinegar/water. This completely removes the smell.

You may need to keep your bun confined until it starts to use the litter pan or at least restrict it's free roam space. A bun is considered litter trained when it pees in only the litter box. It's rare to find a bun that won't drop at least a few poos elsewhere. Once litter trained then slowly allow your bun more freedom.

I forgot, if your new bun is hitting it's teenage faze and is intact then having it spayed/neutered should help. Otherwise your bun may want to mark territory.

Hi, I'm in need of big help.
I have two bunnies, six months old each, and they are giving me the biggest headache of my life. I'm attempting to litter box train them but they seem to enjoy peeing everywhere but their litter box. I've tried everything I know that usually works with other rabbits like putting more litter boxes, feeding them only in the litter box, placing the litter box over the last place they pee, but nothing works. Train's been going on for at least two-thirds of their life (four months) BUT NOTHING WORKSSS!!! They seem to enjoy peeing everywhere but their litter box and stepping on their pee. These are the two little cute devils to the exception of the rule, rabbits are clean animals. Help Please!!
Also, does anyone know a good way to clean pee stains beside vinegar (which doesn't work anymore)? And how much food should I actually be giving them? They seem extremely hungry every second of the day despite giving lots of food and hay.
**In the right side of the picture are their pee.

894.jpg

895.jpg

I free feed my rabbit meaning his bowl is always filled with food. They should only eat what they need I've never really heard of a rabbit over eating. Obesity usually comes from poor exercise or health problems. As far as the litter training goes try scooping all the poop and leaving it in the litter box. Pick it up let them see and smell it as u place it where you want it to go. The pee or spraying can be due to your rabbits not being spayed or nutured. And I guess that would be the question to ask, whether or not they are fixed? And if they are both males?

Hi, I'm in need of big help.
I have two bunnies, six months old each, and they are giving me the biggest headache of my life. I'm attempting to litter box train them but they seem to enjoy peeing everywhere but their litter box. I've tried everything I know that usually works with other rabbits like putting more litter boxes, feeding them only in the litter box, placing the litter box over the last place they pee, but nothing works. Train's been going on for at least two-thirds of their life (four months) BUT NOTHING WORKSSS!!! They seem to enjoy peeing everywhere but their litter box and stepping on their pee. These are the two little cute devils to the exception of the rule, rabbits are clean animals. Help Please!!
Also, does anyone know a good way to clean pee stains beside vinegar (which doesn't work anymore)? And how much food should I actually be giving them? They seem extremely hungry every second of the day despite giving lots of food and hay.
**In the right side of the picture are their pee.

I haven't been on the forum for awhile and just hopped back on today. How are things going with this?
I would also ask if your buns are girls or boys and if they have been fixed. Hormonal rabbits often forget their litter training habits. If they aren't fixed, that would explain why they are being difficult.

If they are both males, then they may also be territory marking. But it sounds like the behavior of intact rabbits.

If you have urine build up on the plastic, then you can let it soak in vinegar for awhile. That will loosen it up.

Latest posts

Back