Litter training advice please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just completed a cage for Bob. It seems a bit small, and I must admit feeling quite guilty about the whole thing. He watched me assemble it with a real look of horror, and was not very polite about getting in it. Right now I am waiting to see if it will hold him, as he has so far been difficult to cage.

Here is a photo:

IMG_8311.jpg

Not the prettiest thing I know. It took all the cube panels I had, so I will need to get more if I plan to expand it. For now I was thinking of it more like a kennel, like people use when crate training a dog. I tried it with the smaller litter box at first, to save space, but he promptly peed over the edge. I think I should stop using that little one - pictured outside the cage. I will try to get the cement mixing tray from homedepot the next time I am there.

Anyway, of course I have more questions :)

What type of schedule should he be on as far as time in the cage, and time out in the laundry room?

I think the concrete floor is great for cleaning, but is really cold. Any suggestions for a cozier sleeping area? I did try fleece when we first got him and he peed on it. I could probably find a slab of wood or cardboard for flooring, but what do you think?

The fall weather has set in around here, and it has really made me feel even more that I don't want him outside. I would even prefer he was in the main part of the house, as the laundry room is a few degrees cooler. I just really need him to be a well behaved litter box user before my husband will even consider letting him stay inside permanently.

I really appreciate everyone who has read this thread and commented. I know it is a lot of questions, and rambling, etc. So, thank you, thank you thank you! Your tips and advice really are a big help :)

Last edited:
So is there a litter box in the cage now? Is it that tall box in the corner? I'm a bit confused seeing the smaller box right outside his cage. I would get it completely away since you don't plan to use it. No need to confuse him further.
Whatever you intend to use for his litter box should already be in the cage with him. It's important to have everything set first so he knows what's in there and what to expect. Changing it will just confuse him.
If the cage is all set how it should be, then I would keep him in there for a full 48 hours. That's what I would do. Others might have a different view. I know this would be hard for you to do, but I do think it would be helpful. He's not going to atrophy from 2 days confined. Then I would let him out for short spurts in the laundry room. Give him some time to run around and stretch. Then back he goes to the potty area. If he returns to the potty anytime during his time out, then he gets to stay out longer. Don't ever close him in when he just hops in to go potty. It may be tempting to do so since he's already in the cage, but then he might think he's getting punished for hopping back in.
Cardboard sounds like a good option to give him something 'safe' to lay on. It will insulate him from the cold floor a bit and it's fine if he chews it.

Yes, the tall box is the litter box, but it does have an opening cut in the side for ease of entrance. I put the other one outside the cage just in case he needed a second one when he is out of the cage. Although I will be getting rid of the little one as soon as I can get a larger replacement. I did already let him out of the cage before seeing your post. He has been really good though. No floor peeing except for the one I know was caused by the little litter box.

I do have some other positive news to report. This evening my husband asked me if I wanted him to build the outdoor cage or not. I said no, and he agreed that it is fine for Bob to stay indoors. He also thought the cage was too small, and it didn't seem like he wants him to have to stay in it very much of the time.

This is such a great relief to me!

Even though it is still early after the neutering I already see improvements in Bob's habits, and I think my husband is seeing it as well.

Hi hunnybunny63.
Bob is doing good. He now has a little dutch rabbit wife we brought home from the local humane society. The two of them get along great and are mostly litter trained. They still live in the laundry room, but I only put them in the cage when we are having work done on the house, or need them contained for some reason.
As far as the litter box use -they do pee in there, but still leave a few poops near the litter box. I switched to two concrete mixing tubs from Home depot, and those work better than what we had before. Bob does still pee on our living room floor on occasion :(
That is really disappointing, and I have yet to really figure out why, as he only does it sometimes. For the last couple of weeks the buns have been staying in their room. We got our Christmas tree and they were very intent on eating it whenever we let them in. After the holidays, when the tree is gone, I will start letting them out of their room again and re-evaluate Bob's carpet peeing.
So I guess not a complete success story, but at least he still gets to live indoors.

Latest posts

Back