Litter boxes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnybunnymummy

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
I did a search, but the keywords "best litter boxes" seem to be too vague to bring up anything useful.

Anyway, Gus has two litter boxes. One like this:

41t5FpVtoNL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Pets-International-Super-Pet-Litter-Pan-Long-John

And one like this:

39267947-200x200-0-0.jpg

http://www.mysimon.com/prices/super-pet-high-corner-litter-pan-18-x-9-3-deep

I like the design of the first one more than the second. But both are just too small for him--especially the second one, which he tends to use sideways and overshoot the pan and pee on the floor. :p

I've looked at cat litter boxes, but they seem like the sides would either be too low (like the triangular one) or too small for his big bum (like the first one). :biggrin2:

Whatsize/style/brand oflitter box do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Rue

Well as far as size goes I would think it just has to fit him comfortably. I know Lulu likes to be able to hop into hers and turn around, so if your guy is a big bun than that would have to be accommodated.

Maybe as a suggestion you can look at other things that aren't necessarily made for pets. Maybe rubbermaid pans? At Longs (or I guess CVS now) I saw some that were intended for general house cleaning stuff.

That was all kinda vague. I'm sure someone will scoot along soon who has experience with big bunnies. Lulu is just a tiny girl...

we use a large cat litter tray that had a lid but george prefers it without the lid he can fit in turn around and there`s space for two to snuggle side by side the triangle one appear i lttle small to me! He He added to say i`m new to bunny owning but this type of tray works for us and we recommend !

I like the large size cat litter boxes, the kind with even sides all around. It's big enough for the bun to sit and big enough if he wanted to lie down. Not that the bun does, but he can if he wanted to. My bun is 5.5lbs and he uses a "large" 15x18 box.

Thanks, guys.

I guess I should have mentioned Gus weighs between 7-8 lbs. The triangular shaped litter box he has is 16 x16. The other is a bit small. (He looks so funny when he uses it, like a fat lady trying to squeeze into her corset... :biggrin2:

I'd like to find something that has high(er) sides (at least 6 inches) that's at least 16 X 18 inches. Most of the cat boxes I've seen aren't that big. Or if they are, they're the type with the hood(which I don't think Gus would use :p). Was just wondering if anybodyknew of a specific brand I could check out (and maybe where to get it?)

Thanks!

Rue

I can't recommend one specific brand, but I would suggest checking out the large or XL cat litter boxes. The XL ones I have seen do tend to have a higher side to them, you would just have to make sure Gus would be able to jump up into it.

I used to use Rubbermaid-type storage boxes that are made specifically to fit underneath a bed. They are large and low. Again, they have higher sides than the small animal or small-sized cat litter boxes. One worked great for two 5-pound bunnies. They both fit in there. (I've since switched to a different type of litter box.)

If you decide to try these, just check out the home organization or storage section of Walmart, Target, Home Depot, etc. (I'm not sure what stores you have in your area.)

I would suggest going to some type of storage/container store and seeing what they have available.

When I had kittens, they were (mostly) great about going in the box but they would just about empty the box in their enthusiasm to bury what they'd done. :p I found a standard sized moving box and cut off the top flaps and one of the smaller sides and put the litter box inside the moving box. That way, they would back up until their tails could feel the cardboard before doing what they needed to do and when they kicked litter everywhere I could just slide the litter box out and dump it back in from the cardboard.

The point of that is that cardboard is cheap & easy to replace, and it works in a pinch. :)

PetSmart has these on their website:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755434&keepsr=0&clickid=prod_cs

and

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751239&keepsr=0&clickid=prod_cs

The second one has what appears to be a space for hay. :D It is HUGE though. lol

Thanks!

Yes, I saw that second one and it is MASSIVE! You could fit a dozen bunnies in there! :shock:

I think I may have foundthe rightlitter box for Gus. It's 4" in the front, 6" in the back and 15 x 18. Can't recall the brand though.

I'm going to try a couple more places before I make a final decision though. (I really hate buying stuff and it not working.)

Rue

Is he an English Spot? He looks like one...

I use the under bed storage containers. They are made by rubbermaid, and the ones that I use are 15"x23"... anything smaller and my rabbits' butts stick out the back and they pee on the floor. They are between 9 - 12 lbs.

Lillian has the bottom of a small cage as a litter box. I've had the cage for a while and it cost me $3 at a garage sale. You might be able to find something used (craigslist or Kijiji are good). I have seen some fairly large cat boxes around too.

When looking at storage containers, I would look for ones that don't have too many raised to lowered bits as they can make cleaning harder.
If you can, I would take Gus with you to look at boxes at pet stores to see how he fits in them. If you find one big enough, then start looking for the best price to something of a similar size (measure if you have to).

Thanks, Kate!

I was thinking the same thing the other day: "This would be a lot easier if Gus were actually here!"

When I have time next week I'll take him around to the various pet shopsand seeif we can finda litter box that fits him just right. :biggrin2:

Thanks again for all the help!

Rue

funnybunnymummy wrote:
Thanks, guys! I guess I'll just an eye out andhope I'll stumble across the right litter box for Gus.

Although he seems to like our Green Bin from the Superstore... :p

12839_338043755505_779545505_9762382_1723041_n.jpg

Rue
look no further,,rue found a poop box,,just throw some timothy grass in,,done deal...sincerely james waller

So today we took Gus around to the different pet shops in townto try out the different litter boxes for size . . . and wouldn't you know it, we ended up finding the perfect litter box at Dollarama for $2!!!

It's twice the size of his old triangular litter box, so lots of space for him toturn around, etc.and the sides ar 5 1/2 inches high all the way around, so little worry about him overshooting it!

Yay! :biggrin2:

Rue

Latest posts

Back