Litter box: what should they look like?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DjulezTomAndFranky

Reaction score
We just bought a cute nine weeks old rabbit, Franky. Yesterday he had a little accident: He peed on Tom while sitting on him. We were wondering how to properly train him so he pees in his 'cage' or how do you call it :) We don't let him run around freely yet, but want to when he's a little bigger. We read about 'litter boxes' online but it doesn't say how a litter box should look like. plastic or carton or what material should it be?
Should we also put a little box inside of his cage? and how many litter boxes r required in a living room when we let him run around freely?
Thanks for the advice!

I have one in the cage and one out. People use all sorts of things that work good for the box itself. Those plastic storage containers or even smaller totes with a size cut down. I have one of the little storage containers that fits nicely in the cage then I bought a corner litter box made specifically for small animals cages for my females cage, it's the biggest size they have and she really likes that one so she can sit in it and eat or lay in it (I think she likes the shape) but my male did have problems peeing over the low edge of those ones. Then I have the small cat litter boxes that they have for outside the cage. It's really just whatever works for you and your rabbit!

Frankly will likely choose a spot to pee in, both inside and out of his home, and that's where you put the litter box(es). You will probably find poops everywhere anyway though, at least until he is neutered and probably after too. You need a big enough box to fit a grown bunny plus room for hay on top of whatever litter you use (wood shavings, recycled paper, etc). Bunnies love to graze while they go potty. Let's see this adorable little dude!

I use a plastic litter box just from a pet store which I put recycled paper in it for the litter. It's actually cat litter but it works perfectly, soaks it all up and doesn't smell at all.

Thanks everyone!
I'm still wondering though
... since he's so young, is it okay for him to chew on cat litter or recycled paper?
We had a baby rabbit before who died from constipation so I'm really cautious now about anything that ends up in his stomach!
:)
@stevesmum: I'll post some pics in the pics thread. He's so cute!!

Can't wait! I personally use wood shavings, and my bunnies never eat it. I had a bunny once that I tried carefresh on, and she tried to eat it so that was out. So I get your concerns. Of course regular kitty litter is not good for bunnies, the one Phoenix posted a picture of looks fine for non-paper-eaters though. There's also some kind of pelleted litter that expands I think, which I've seen people on here recommend.

My bun can be naughty sometimes and get up to mischief like most buns but she has never once eaten it. I've found it really good but everyone has there own ideas :)
And I'm sure you will work it out as time goes on!

Photos photos photos! :) 🐰

Wood pellets is a popular choice for litter. It is very inexpensive and works great for odor control. These pellets (not shavings) are either the wood pellets that are used for wood pellet stoves, or wood pellets used for horse stall bedding. They usually run around $4-7 for a 40lb bag. One bag lasts my 2 rabbits about 2 months --- so super cheap.

I've only ever used one litter box but I make sure it is large and roomy. This makes it last longer between cleaning. Once litter trained, my rabbits go back in the cage to use the litter box. My rabbits have the cage door open all day long. I do not use any other litter boxes - just the one in the cage.

Obviously, when my bunnies are out, I make sure they have easy access back to their cage to allow this. I also only gradually expanded their roaming area. I started with a small area around their cage, making sure they would return to the box to potty as needed. As they did well with that small area, I would then expand the space. In time, they had large areas in which to be free and still just the one litter box.

Here is how I set up my litter box...

litter with current buns.jpg

Frankly will likely choose a spot to pee in, both inside and out of his home, and that's where you put the litter box(es). You will probably find poops everywhere anyway though, at least until he is neutered and probably after too. You need a big enough box to fit a grown bunny plus room for hay on top of whatever litter you use (wood shavings, recycled paper, etc). Bunnies love to graze while they go potty. Let's see this adorable little dude!

It's problematic, because he keeps peein in the couch now, exactly the same spot, which happens to be the best place int he couch for us humans.. soooo, it's annoying if we have to put a litter box there... Can we put it there for a while and then move the litter box?
We put vinegar on the spots where he peed after washin it with water and soap, read somewhere that could work,.. but it didn't :nosir:

Hmm that is not good. Our Steve used to pee on the couch too. The only thing that stopped him was that we bought a new couch. He still jumps up there now but never pees (knock wood). You may have to disallow franky from jumping onto the couch. Once they start its so hard to make them stop. The couch smells like you and your family so he wants it to be his too.

Well maybe someone has a great solution on here, that's the beauty of this forum. But we had no choice, the old couch was peed on too many times and we couldn't hover there waiting to kick him off. He was very sneaky about it too, we would leave the room for 30 seconds and he would seize the opportunity to jump up there and squirt out whatever he had in his little bladder. Also, we did try putting a litter box on there but he ignored it. I know how frustrated you must be.

Omg he's so cute ☺️

Since your bunny is only 9 weeks old he might grow out of it. Both of mine did that for a couple months after I got them. I scrubbed it with vinegar since its a disinfectant too but that didn't stop them!! There wasn't much I could do as far as disciplining them other than telling them no, which works so well lol. But they did stop and haven't had an accident on there in almost a year so there's hope! Just a lot of scrubbing in the mean time.

Pee pads hahaaha, I didn't know of their existence. That's pretty funny! :)
But we really want him to go elsewhere, so I think I'd take your first advice: just don't let him go on the couch anymore. At least for a little while, I gues.. Then he might grow used to peeing/pooping on a different spot and later we can let him go on the couch again.
Yesterday, I was sitting on the couch, on his favorite pee/poo-spot. Suddenly I see him running towards me really fast.. And yeah, it wasn't for affection from me but for pooing on the couch :D Sadly..
Franky Frankyboy.. :)

Omg he's so cute ☺️

Since your bunny is only 9 weeks old he might grow out of it. Both of mine did that for a couple months after I got them. I scrubbed it with vinegar since its a disinfectant too but that didn't stop them!! There wasn't much I could do as far as disciplining them other than telling them no, which works so well lol. But they did stop and haven't had an accident on there in almost a year so there's hope! Just a lot of scrubbing in the mean time.

Scrubbed it with vinegar now as well!
No use. :D I hope we'll go through a similiar thing as u did!

The "pee pads" can be found in pet stores or wherever pet supplies are sold. They are very absorbent and will help with the odor. My baby buns used them in their crates until 8 weeks old and then I gave them a litter box. In my opinion a nine week old bunny should be kept in a confined area until he gets a little older. I only let my bunnies on the floor in their play yard when they are out of their cage. I love their litter box from their cage to the play area. I used an old sheet to cover the floor to help contain their poop. Then all I have to do is just shake the poop off the sheet into my garden (good fertilizer). Hope my suggestions help.

Back