Litter box training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatkiidsean

Reaction score
Hey guys,

What is the most effective way to litter box train a bun? I hear different methods and I want to find the best method. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also what is the best type of toy that I can use for keeping there teeth down?

Thanks!
Sean

I line the hutch with newspaper and use shavings in the littler box. If my bunny pees on the newspaper I rip off that piece and place it in the litter box. I also put some hay in the litter box to get the idea of pooping in the box. This has always worked and worked fast for me. :)

Yeah I did a similar thing, I started by putting their poop they had already done in their litter box so they understand the scent and then put a treat in their litter box so they got used to sitting in it, this worked within a week or so!

The others have given good advice on litter training, make sure you have bedding/litter only in the litter box, put some hay in one corner of the box to encourage them to use it (they like to eat and poop at the same time) and toss any stray poops into the box as well as wiping up pee messes with some paper towel and putting them in the box. It shouldn't take your bunny too long to catch on.

As for toys for keeping teeth down, there's a lot of harder chewing blocks out there, but Bandit seems to mostly ignore them (though I'd heard they're better if they're secured to something such as zip-tying them to the cage bars). Really the best thing for wearing teeth down is a constant supply of good hay. Bunnies eat a lot of it and it wears their teeth down well. Cardboard boxes, while soft, tend to promote a lot of chewing as well which is good.

SO when I first get my bun, where ever it pees or leaves a dropping rip that off and put it in the litter box? Then the bun will learn thats where to use the bathroom? Also what should I use for a litterbox? even if the bun is a little kit?

Any plastic tub can be used for a litter box. I just use a plastic storage container from Wal Mart.

As Azarene mentioned, you really don't want anything else on the floor of the cage. Just the solid floor. If bunny pees on the solid floor, wipe it up with a paper towel and place the paper towel in the litter box. If the only 'soft' place in the cage is that litter box with litter (and yummy hay), then that is where your bunny will 'want' to go.

If you are getting a young bunny, you'll need extra patience. Some young ones will litter train, some aren't so cooperative. But even those that do train have the potential to lose or forget that training when those hormones kick in. But once bunny is fixed, he/she will do much better.

In fact, fixed rabbits practically litter train themselves. It takes little to no effort to get a fixed rabbit to go potty in their box.

This is how I set up my litter box for 2 adult rabbits. The concept is the same for a baby... just a slightly smaller box (but still large enough for her to stretch out in). Remember, bunnies grow fast and are full size at about 6 months, so don't go too small with the box.

litter with current buns.jpg

Yep, plastic tub or kitty litter tray is the way to go :) If your bunny outgrows the box, you may find that they hang their butt over the edge and pee over the edge of the box, so upgrading the box size can help with that. I set mine up like Blue-eyes, but I have the hay down at narrow side so there's more sitting room. Bandit tends to mess it up anyway :p but it's an attempt at tidyness, lol.

Good News!

The place where I am getting my bun already litter box trains them! Just a couple questions Do I get a litterbox especially made for rabbets thats easy to get in but have high walls, or a cat litter box? I heard when they pee they spray a lot.

Some rabbits are more inclined to lift their rear up more. So it depends on the rabbit. But for the average rabbit, any plastic tub will do. It doesn't have to be anything 'officially' for rabbits or for cats.
Mine is just a Wal-Mart storage tub.

Pretty much any sort of tub will do, most are pretty cheap, so if you buy one and it ends up being that the sides aren't high enough, then it's not too much to get a different one. Bandit started out with a smaller kitty litter tray, but as he grew he started peeing over the edge, so I had to upgrade.

That's great that they already litter train the rabbits. You may see a loss of good litter box habits for a week or two after you bring your bunny home, as most rabbits will leave quite a few poops around to mark their territory and will sometimes pee in other places too. But once your bunny has settled in it should go back to being fine :)

Shida was really good with hers from day one and it's just a plastic box that I picked up for a few $$ from The Reject Shop and my rat was already using it which helped ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1403333698.661195.jpg
As you can see it's about twice as long as she is and it use to have a lid with a hole cut in it for my rats but she got too big for that lol but in saying that Shida isn't much bigger then a rat herself

:threadhijacked:by me.

@ surf_storm, that is interesting about the rat litter box. Could you explain that more? It sounds like you used a lidded plastic container that had a hole cut out.

We are fairly new to rats and would like to hear more. Ours have open litter boxes that they use fairly well. Does the closed lid with the hole encourage them to use it more in your opinion?

I had to put a lid on the littler box because my rat Mischief kept pushing the litter out and making a mess, I haven't had another rat who does that. If you have any questions about rats I will be more then happy to help

Back