Lionhead rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweetie wrote:
Thank you JadeIcing. Next time I will be more careful.

I would like to know the lionhead breed more, because:

1. I love the breed
2. So that I will have knowledge of the breed.

Some things that I already know about lionheads:

1. They are susceptible to seizures, I know that any breed can have seizures especially BEW. Can REW's have seizures?

2. Lionheads are easy to train http://lionheadrabbit.net/genindex.htm

3. Lionheads are sweet and friendly.

4. Lionheads are sooooo cute

I would love to learn more about lionheads.
Let me share a few things based upon my experiences as a lionhead breeder.

1. Lionheads were once thought to be susceptible to seizures and some folks still wonder about that. A few years ago, I spoke with Gail Gibbons (COD holder at that time) about this because she was keeping track of this. I want to say that in the 5 or so years that lionheads had been in the states at that time - the number was under 50....closer to 25. (Its been a few years since the conversation). From what I remember of the conversation - her belief was that the further away we got from the original handful of lionheads that were brought over - the less chance of seizures. A lot of it could have come from inbreeding so much because there were so few lionheads available.

I rarely hear of a lionhead having a seizure - I can't remember the last time I ever heard of it (and I'm on a lionhead list where breeders chat). I wonder sometimes if the seizure could be due to something other than the fact it is a lionhead...like if there could be something in the environment, etc.

For instance - I'd NEVER heard of rabbits choking on their pellets and dying until a few months ago...now I've heard of it three or four times. But in each case - it seemed like it was something particular to that particular instance .... same thing with the whole seizure thing.

2. Lionheads are easy to train....yes/no/maybe. Like any other rabbit and/or breed of rabbit - it is going to depend upon the individual rabbit. For instance - I once had a young buck that at 10 weeks old - would drag his litter box to the front of the cage EVERY OTHER DAY to be cleaned. (He was sold at about 12 weeks as a show bunny and I understand that he continued that habit as he got older). I've had other rabbits that couldn't care less about a litter box or anything else.

3. Lionheads are sweet & friendly. Once again - yes/no/maybe. It is going to depend upon the individual lionhead and the home it comes from, etc. I believe the personality of a rabbit is both genetic - and based upon their environment as they grow up. A lionhead that is bossy and hard to work with at a month old - is not going to become sweet right away. I've seen some lines of the rabbits where they're just sweethearts....and then other lines where they weren't so much. I've also seen some rabbits come from breeders who handled them daily and played with them - and they were well socialized and wonderful. I've also had others that scared me to death when I'd go to feed them 'cause they'd charge at me.

My point? In every breed of rabbit - temperament is based upon genetics and environment and you'll find both sweet lionheads and mean ones.

I hope this helps.

I think this is a classic case of jumping to conclusions and acting too quickly,something i am all too familiar with.I think you realized that you were wrong and have apologized for it. Hopefully, in the future, you will be a bit gentler in the future.

It's all too common for people to 'attack' without actually asking and getting the facts. Your e-mail really wasn't so bad but I can see why she got offended :)The good thing is you will have learned from it. Now you know lionheads can be smaller and still be healthy :)

Thank you Peg. That does help a lot. WOW!

Nela: yes I have learned from this situation. I will get the facts before jumping to conclusions next time. I can see where she got offended too.

We all live and learn.

I have a lionhead half lop. He's around 5 years old now. When he was around 2 he had his first seizure. He's had a total of three so far. When he had his first one I was going to have him put to sleep until I talked to a breeder.
This was three years ago and she said that California and Texas were the only states still breeding lionheads with seizures. He's also a larger lionhead and tempermental. But, because of the seizures I can't neuter him so that may be why his temperment may be what it is.

I had a Lionhead that was purchased from a breeder that developed seizures at a very young age. He was a Blue Eyed White and I believe it was neurological. He passed away at the E-Vet one night while having a grand-mal seizure, he wasn't even a year old.:(

Latest posts

Back