Lionhead Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avabun

Reaction score
Hello all,
I wondered if anyone can help me with the lionhead breed!
I really want to adopt a lionhead :inlove: in the worst way! However, the "type" of lionhead I am looking for doesn't seem to be very common.

The kind I am looking for is like the one pictured here that is white/brown...with med/short body hair, and a long floppy, funny "hair-do".

Most of the lionheads that I find online look more like the second picture here that is creamy/orangish colored....with long floppy hair on both the body and face/head.

I have been to the main lionhead breed website: http://lionheadrabbit.net/ (as well as many others). The problem, as most of any rabbit breed informational websites, is that the site talks in breeder language. While there is nothing wrong with talking in breeder language, it uses lots of abbreviations and terms that I simply don't understand! Such as the definition of a single mane vs. double mane...can anyone explain this in plain language? :?

I know that lionheads can come in all different colors. But I am looking for the type that just has the cute, floppy hair-do. So, I guess I am just asking if anyone knows if there are different "types" of lionheads???

lionhead.jpg

lionhead2-1.jpg

P.S. Both of these pictures were from buns available for adoption on Petfinder!
I would LOVE to adopt the top one, but I am in MI and she is in PA. My husband loves me, but not enough to go on a 6 hour road trip one way to adopt a bunny!:cry1:

I believe you are looking for a single maned rabbit, which is the kind in the first picture. They have a mane around their head but short fur on the body. I think these tend to lose their manes at maturity somewhat commonly, so you may want to adopt one beyond the age of a year old or so. :)

Double maned Lionheads are the ones in the second picture, with the mane around their head and also on the body. They have longer fur all over and then the shorter fur just on the face, I believe. I think the show standard is working towards double maned animals, but I'm not totally sure.

Hopefully someone with more Lionhead experience can chime in. I'm pretty familiar with most rabbit breeds, but Lionheads are not yet accepted by the ARBA (American Rabbit Breeder's Association). For this reason, there is not really a standard, just a "working standard". Since I'm not working with the breed, I don't really keep up on the changes that they make.

The bottom line though is that these are technically just mutt bunnies at this point. So you can find all different kinds of looks and manes if you look hard enough. For a bigger selection, try locating some reputable breeders in your area. They would be more able to help you locate the EXACT color and mane type that you want!

My Abby is a double mane and she has alot of fur around her head area and did have it in the body as a young un' but as she has matured she has a slicker coat on her back, legs, and such. I will try to find a pic that shows this.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
The bottom line though is that these are technically just mutt bunnies at this point. So you can find all different kinds of looks and manes if you look hard enough. For a bigger selection, try locating some reputable breeders in your area. They would be more able to help you locate the EXACT color and mane type that you want!
Too bad ARBA now REQUIRES shows to allow lionheads...at least in the color that passed last year....I guess ARBA likes mutts?

:grumpy:

I am on Art's machine & can't post much right now thanks to my "mutt" bunny Harley ruining the cord to my keyboard.

I will say that it looks like you want a single mane rabbit...but you'll want to see some crimping in the mane (curl sorta) to know the mane will generally last.

Those are some really good examples of a double-mane, CKGS :3 The orange rabbit in the first post is a bit closer to a teddy-mane, Avabun - although teddies can get even fluffier!

It is possible to find a double-mane that has the extra-long 'bangs' that you're looking for. From what I understand, though, they usually don't show up as well on a double-mane as they would on a single-mane. If a double-mane has bangs, they're usually fluffy ALL over the top of their head and the bangs tend to blend in. But OakRidgeRabbits is right - if you can find a local breeder and look at their rabbits, you'll be able to see all the variety and pick something you like.

Unlike my mom . . I really really really like mixed-breed rabbits :3 Lion-lops especially, if the lop half is a friendly breed (like Hollands! <3 ) My favorite rabbits tend to be the 'ugly bunnies' - the ones that don't fit the standard for whatever their breed is. But then I am a sucker for the underdog :p

I will say this - no matter what a lionhead looks like, or any other breed you might think about getting, make sure that it's a friendly bunny. Those bangs are adorable, but if the bunny's going to sit in it's cage and sulk all day, you won't enjoy it very much. Obvious, I know, but it bears repeating . . :p

Best of luck in finding a heartbunny!

TinysMom wrote:
OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
Too bad ARBA now REQUIRES shows to allow lionheads...at least in the color that passed last year....I guess ARBA likes mutts?
Until a breed is accepted by the ARBA, it isreally amixed breed. There are a lot out right now, including Plush Lops, Cashmere Lops, Lionlops, Lionheads, Astrex, etc. that people are working on in hopes of getting them recognized. My only point was that, because of this, Lionheads are a very inconsistent breed (that's why they haven't been recognized yet). So the original poster may find any "kind" of LH she wants.:)That's why they're pretty popular as pets right now, because they come in all different types.

Also about the shows, the ARBA does not accept LH's except for exhibition only. They cannot compete with the other breeds yet because they are not recognized.;)But that's beside the point, as the original poster is just looking for a pet and they can make great pets!

Avabun-- The Lionhead in the top picture is beautiful. I can see why you want one. Lionheads are one of my favorites. :)

Hope you find what your looking for :biggrin2:Keep us updated if you do....April

Yes, they do make great pets. It's kinda strange that all rabbits started out as mutts isn't it? Thank god for breeders who weren't afraid to breed mutts or I wouldn't have my Abby. So big thank you Peg!:great:

Just because a breed is not yet recognized doesn't mean its not an actual breed. There just has to be consistency and from what I've seen, there is much more consistency in Lionhead's from breeders than there is in your average "mutt". There are plenty of dog breeds that are not recognized by the AKC but they are still breeds. You can generally see a Lionhead and tell what it is even though there may still be variations within the breed. So I feel that qualifies it as a breed that's being worked on, not a typical "mutt" as you put it, OakRidge.

But back to the topic. Avabun, I think if I got a Lionhead (tempting as it is) I think I want the kind you describe! lol And the one you want to adopt is precious! What does hubby know anyways?? LOL

Thanks everyone! I think I will be looking for a single mane, then. I just love the floppy bangs!

I am trying to adopt from petfinder or a shelter if at all possible. The few lionheads we have at our shelter are either double maned or already bonded with other buns, so I am trying to venture out to see what else may be out there! I am looking for a companion animal, so I will make sure to check on personality before making a decision. The bunny in PA is very sweet and litter box trained, and her foster mom just loves her. I have been giving my husband dirty looks, in hopes that I can guilt-trip him into taking me there (although, I seriously doubt he will) :cry1:

Please let me know if there is anything else I should be looking for....or any additional recommendations that you may have.

:brownbunny

avabun wrote:
I have been giving my husband dirty looks, in hopes that I can guilt-trip him into taking me there (although, I seriously doubt he will) :cry1:

Awww, you poor thing! Is there any way possible that someone traveling between can give her a lift? Or maybe you can work out something with her foster mom to meet each other half way? Just trying to throw out some suggestions to help you out ;)

Wish I could help you out with getting that cutie but alas am too tied to home. Adorable baby though.

Like, I said, I HIGHLY suggest looking for a reputable LH breeder in your area. Because Lionheads are so inconsistent at this time, they are having to be bred in large amounts just to try and get the few showable animals that fit the standard. This amounts to A LOT of culls, so purchasing one from a reputable breeder can be of as much benefit as adopting from a shelter. Plus, a reputable breeder will be able to tell you exactly how their line matures and whether or not your LH will be single or double maned, whether they will keep their mane, etc. And most breeders offer help FOR LIFE. Which is an excellent guarantee to pet owners since breeders are very knowledgable about rabbits overall and their breed and lines specifically.

This is not to say that there is anything wrong with adopting, if you find your ideal bun in a shelter near you. But putting so much time and money into a bun across the country doesn't really make sense when there are SO many bunnies that need help right in your own area, whether they be in a shelter or a breeder's cull. :)

The final call is up to you of course, it's just a nice option for Lionheads because of where they stand currently as a developing breed. Lots of them need good pet homes!

CKGS: Your lionhead Abby looks just like my lionhead Sweetie!

My lionhead, Sweetie, is a single mane.

I agree with OakRidgeRabbits. Reputable breeders know a lot about their rabbit breeds, like lionhead rabbits. They can answer all your questions about lionheads.

I wish you lived closer! Our area has plenty of single mane lionhead's in shelters just like what you are looking for.

btw- I think it's GREAT you are wanting to rescue from a shelter/rescue! So many rabbit's are euthanized every year in the US.

I would just add that rabbits can completely change personality when it comes to adolescence so a bun that is a great companion as a baby may not be as an adult.

It might be worth looking for an adult lionhead (if you buy from a breeder, or discussing how their ancestors matured personality wise (although this is obviously no guarantee), or, if you rescue, try to get a spayed or neutered adult so that you know exactly what you are getting.

Good luck :)

Latest posts

Back