Lets show the REW a little love.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be honest, when I was younger I was freaked out by the "red-eyed rabbits." To this day I can't think of a reason behind it.....probably just being a dumb kid ;)

I LOVE them now! It is too bad sweet buns get discriminated against just because of their ruby eyes. I had no idea about their tendency toward blindness either. Poor lil REWs. I actually considered adopting a REW just the other day :D

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
He says it happens when breeders pile on the genetic mutation you get a weaker stock.

Weak stock has no place in a breeding program. Eliminating weaknesses is the reason people raise animals.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
He says it happens when breeders pile on the genetic mutation you get a weaker stock.

Weak stock has no place in a breeding program. Eliminating weaknesses is the reason people raise animals.

Eliminating weaknesses is the reason good breeders raise animals. Unfortunately that can't be said for everyone.

I suppose what I'm trying to get across is that breeding animals is not what causes problems or weaknesses. The hobby of raising animals is meant as a progressive improvement process.

It's very disheartening for people who work with animals to see post after post spreading rumors and fallacies about what we do, under the general term "breeder." That sends the message that breeders, in general, are mass producing animals with no regard to their health or well-being.

There are people in the world who throw together animals and breed them with no knowledge of what they're doing- no one is challenging that fact. But to say that the overwhelming majority of people producing animals is doing that is false.

I'm sure that most of the rabbits seen by rescues and vets have these issues, because unfortunately, the people breeding specifically for the pet market are generally not very reputable. But those statistics don't speak for the rabbit population on the whole.

My Beautiful :inlove:Buttercup (RIP) :rainbow:lived to be over 13. He started my love of Bunnies, it's thanks to him that I still have 3. I never gave his Red eyes a second thought. I fell in love with the little guy the minute I saw him in my Ex's hands all those years ago.

TheBabiesNewCamera050.jpg

Susan:)

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
I suppose what I'm trying to get across is that breeding animals is not what causes problems or weaknesses. The hobby of raising animals is meant as a progressive improvement process.

It's very disheartening for people who work with animals to see post after post spreading rumors and fallacies about what we do, under the general term "breeder." That sends the message that breeders, in general, are mass producing animals with no regard to their health or well-being.

There are people in the world who throw together animals and breed them with no knowledge of what they're doing- no one is challenging that fact. But to say that the overwhelming majority of people producing animals is doing that is false.

I'm sure that most of the rabbits seen by rescues and vets have these issues, because unfortunately, the people breeding specifically for the pet market are generally not very reputable. But those statistics don't speak for the rabbit population on the whole.
everyone talking about "breeders" has stressed the point that we're NOT talking about ALL breeders - we're talking about bad backyard breeders - and we know that not all people who refer to themselves as breeders fall into that category.

no one is spreading "rumors and fallacies" about breeders as a whole - we've clarified that we're only talking about the specific category of breeders who aren't TRUE breeders (who of course care about the genetics and about improving the breed) and breed indiscriminately and carelessly. like it or not, there's a LOT of those people out there and they ARE responsible for shelter bunnies with genetic flaws. GOOD breeders don't insist on breeding inferior rabbits, nor do they let their rabbits end up in shelters. unfortunately, just about anyone can call themselves a breeder whether they know what they're doing or not.

eclairemom wrote:
Kipcha wrote:
They lived for 3 days in a boa constrictors cage
Shudder:shock:poor bunnies

I agree, poor little ones had so many problems (extremely underweight, Kit had a heart murmur, etc.) and yet they were just the sweetest little babies. It's so sad to think about what happened to them. When I went to get them Kat was actually sitting on the snakes head! And this was one big snake!

Why is it all these threads are devolving into an anti-breeding debate? I mean, we rescue and believe in spaying/neutering, not to mention we have seen bad breeders and hoarders, but I know a few really nice people who breed and really care about their animals. There are good breeders and bad breeders, everyone knows that. It's the same thing with every animal.

I LOVE my Lilly bun's eyes! She is a pointed white, not sure what breed exactly but she has pink eyes & I LOVE them. They are my favorite!! Soo gorgeous especially in the sun light :hearts

My boyfriend thinks they are awesome as well. People shouldn't always pick out the "cutest rabbit" in the first place.. Of course the way they look is always gonna be a factor but I don't ever pick an animal before another over it's looks. Personality is the biggest factor for me! :)

Again this is not a thread to debate breeding practices. But you must be aware that for every beautiful winning tan Sarah produces or every health holland lop Julie has there are people churning out 10 more bunnies like Muppet and that is my point.

To get it back on track...Reuben also supports the REB(red-eyed buns)!
1006120075.jpg

man, this guy is an ambassador for everybun. Reuben for world dictator!

This discussion kind of bounced into the great unknown, but overall it's just great to see that so many people have had the opportunity to adopt REW bunnies in need, I just wish some were under better circumstances (don't we all)! That's all I was hoping to get across- the reassurance that many people are working to ensure that REW bunnies are carefully created and cared about.

The rabbits who don't fall into that category are lucky to have those of you who love pink-eyed rescues. :bunnydance:

Yay here is the reply from Dr.Hreiz:

Sarah,

I have not heard of this described in any scientific journals. My guess is that you are heari

I hate to see this thread turn into an argument, but it is a well known fact that albino animals (which is what REWs are) are prone to vision problems that may lead to blindness. This is true for any albino animal, including humans.

It's not due to irresponsible breeding, unless you call simply breeding REWs irresponsible, as it is a genetic quality for albinos. In other words, unless you consider breeding albinos irresponsible, there is nothing else "added" that would cause the vision problems. If they are albino, they have a chance at having a vision problem, no matter their history. Is that clear? Having a higher risk of vision problems is part of who they are. Without being REW, they wouldn't have a vision problem (well, they may, but you get what I'm saying.) Also, I'm pretty sure Albino animals can breed with other non-albino animals and still produce "normal" babies with no vision problems at all (because they are not albino) See what I'm saying? :)

Anyway, to make this a peaceful thread again, here is information from a study published April 4th, 2012:

"The divergence of retinal ganglion cell (RGC) axons into ipsilateral and contralateral projections at the optic chiasm and the subsequent segregation of retinal inputs into eye-specific domains in their target, the dorsal lateral geniculate nucleus (dLGN), are crucial for binocular vision. In albinism, affected individuals exhibit a lack or reduction of pigmentation in the eye and skin, a concomitant reduced ipsilateral projection, and diverse visual defects."

OKAY. Can we talk about cute bunnies again?? ;)

I agree, back onto cute bunnies!

I mean really, how can you not look at this face and gush about how adorable it is!

63352_1561361350439_4587349_n.jpg

Kipcha wrote:
I agree, back onto cute bunnies!

I mean really, how can you not look at this face and gush about how adorable it is!

63352_1561361350439_4587349_n.jpg

I just love their story!!! And you're right, how could you not love that sweet bunny face, ruby eyes and all :)

Aw man it didnt post. Ok here this is just for general reference and no arguement is happening Kari.

Sarah,

I have not heard of this described in any scientific journals. My guess is that you are hearing this via anecdotal evidence - breeders noticing a trend based on their own experience. This may be true but it has not been proven with peer reviewed scientific research. I have not observed this in the REW rabbits I've judged or treated as a veterinarian.

REWs do have a generalized problem with their eyes that is best described as resting horizontal nystagmus. The thought is that these rabbits have difficulty locking in on patterns of light and therefore continuously adjust their vision to account for the light source in the room. These rabbits may have some visual deficits but it is difficult to measure on physical exam alone - rabbits generally lack a menace response.

I hope this clears some things up for you. Rabbit research, especially pet rabbit research, is sparse :)

-Jay

That REW is adorable :) lol because of this thread I am looking at my moms red eyed rabbits differently as in they are pretty cute. I used to think they were odd but after my mom raising himis I grew a fondness for them. I wish she would get them again How could you not love this face

Himalayan_720557860.jpg

Latest posts

Back