Lets show the REW a little love.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello! :biggrin2:

I say this thread, and I just had to stop by~

My little stinker is a REW Holland Lop and I do have to agree, even though I love his cute grumpy face and sweet temperament, alot of my friends and even family find his looks "offensive" and "creepy" and can't comprehend why I chose adopt a little sickly 5 yr old blind rabbit with red eyes rather than buying a baby bunny...

Personally I find him adorable! Don't you?

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

Oh! Also, as an owner with a blind REW, I also agree with Katie about breeding being the contributing factor to his blindness...(so says my vet...)

Regardless, I adore Luce quite alot and I am rather protective of his dashing good looks!

:p Alice

Personally I love REW bunnies. They remind me of when I was a child and the Easter bunny was this color :bunny19

I had two REW does who have passed over the bridge. And now I have two REW bucks. I think they are both adorable and love them very much.

Not really sure I understand people thinking they are creepy :?

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
I really don't want the thread to turn into an argument about breeding. I am just trying to show that REWs are beautiful and loving and they often get the short end of the adoption stick.

I agree with you about REWs getting the short end of the stick when it comes to what colors people like in rabbits; however, I think black rabbits tend to be shunned too...and I think they're adorable ...how can you not like this little girl!

14192_292208_120000000.jpg

majorv wrote:
I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
I really don't want the thread to turn into an argument about breeding. I am just trying to show that REWs are beautiful and loving and they often get the short end of the adoption stick.

I agree with you about REWs getting the short end of the stick when it comes to what colors people like in rabbits; however, I think black rabbits tend to be shunned too...and I think they're adorable ...how can you not like this little girl!

14192_292208_120000000.jpg
Very cute. While this may be a REW appreciation thread, I have to say my favorites are blacks and I so would have gotten one if not for the wife finding them creepy. However, she used to own a black cat. So unfair...

AAAaw but I think the red eyes are rather pretty and not creepy at all. I'm not the biggest fan of all white animals. I like a little color.

I am an owner of a Himi marked red eyed Netherland, Harvey:

snugglebunny by Magpie8203, on Flickr
and...

DSC_0023 by Magpie8203, on Flickr

I dunno how anyone would find that sweet little face creepy. I love my little red eyed rabbit <3 Again I do like the pointed white coloring. A pair of California Rabbits got me to like rabbits. Part of the reason I got Harvey was because of his coloring. :) Plus he's just kind of awesome.

Since Cheeto forced emotional growth upon me (hah) I simply don't care about breed at all. Personality is what gets it for me. When I adopted Millie, I had the coordinator bring any bun she thought would be a good match for him. 90% of them were REWs simply because that is the majority in the shelter right now. At a time, black rabbits were the majority. I picked her because they got along and she was really outgoing and curious about me. I seriously didn't go in there hoping to get a specific breed; I just wanted somebody that would make Cheeto happy and that I could bond with as well.

Also, my vet told me the same thing about the blindness. Millie hasn't shown signs of blindness, but my vet told me that she probably will have weaker vision because of her eyes. She scans the room on occasion, mostly when something sudden changes like light. I don't think Katie was saying that this applies to ALL rabbits under that category, just that they are more prone to it.

13952_292254_330000000.jpg

No I was not saying all REW rabbits are blind but my vet says that about 85 percent have some form of vision weakness and that out of that around 5 percent are totally blind. He says it happens when breeders pile on the genetic mutation you get a weaker stock. Just like pure bred dogs are prone to certain illness. The reason I even mentioned the vision problems to begin with is so people might see the REW differently and maybe have some sympathy for an animal who is almost guaranteed to have some form of physical limitation. Black bunnies are beautiful too and I just wish people could think about adopting the bunny and not so much the color...

REWs are just the sweetest and some of the most beautiful buns out there.

Kit and Kat, two of our rescue buns, were both New Zealands and were just the sweetest, most adorable little rabbits, despite the early traumas of their lives (They lived for 3 days in a boa constrictors cage with no food until the owner realized the snake wouldn't eat them). REWs deserve more credit then they get.

248947_387557074657689_889375758_n.jpg
198232_387557114657685_682493421_n.jpg

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
So here is a little REW education first there prone to vision issues and can be totally blind due to poor breeding practices. REW bunny's are usually always the product of commercial and backyard breeding .

So next time your looking at a REW keep in mind that they did not asked to be born that way and were bred on purpose to look like that by some uncaring person who just wanted to make a quick buck.

:?

This isn't accurate information. If you're interested, I'd be happy to explain more about how REWs are created, why they're included in breeding programs and what breeders are doing to ensure overall health in the color. PM me anytime! :D
GOOD breeders may have solid reasons to include them in breeding programs and take measures to "ensure overall health in the color"... but not all "breeders" are good breeders. There are plenty of uneducated "backyard breeders" with little to no understanding of rabbit genetics or proper breeding techniques.

anyone can put a male and female rabbit together, get the female pregnant and call themselves a breeder, bringing harm to both the rabbits' genetic lines and the reputations of breeders in general (including those who are incredibly well-educated, responsible and often certified). the problem isn't breeders, it's people who claim to be breeders.

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
No I was not saying all REW rabbits are blind but my vet says that about 85 percent have some form of vision weakness and that out of that around 5 percent are totally blind. He says it happens when breeders pile on the genetic mutation you get a weaker stock. Just like pure bred dogs are prone to certain illness. The reason I even mentioned the vision problems to begin with is so people might see the REW differently and maybe have some sympathy for an animal who is almost guaranteed to have some form of physical limitation. Black bunnies are beautiful too and I just wish people could think about adopting the bunny and not so much the color...

Vision weakness = photosensitivity due to the red or ruby cast in the eye. Not attributed to breeding. . . I have searched the Journal of Vet Med and have nowhere found any of these percents mentioned. Where did they get them?? I am sending an email to Dr. Jay Hreiz in the morning to get an answer and I will let y'all know what he says. I trust him being a veterinarian, breeder, and ARBA judge more than anyone else. If he says it then I will apologize but being in genetics class this semester I don't believe it right now. Is your vet a geneticist on the side?? This post is pending Dr. Hreiz's answer

Three REW owners have posted on here that the REW suffers eyesight problems due to breeding. I don't know about my vets genetic background but he is one of the best exotic vets in the state and one of three exotic vets to tell me the exact same thing. I don't know why this is so offensive to you....

I'm just tired of all the negative comments about breeders In General. It is truly wearing on me and I can see why there are no more breeders left on this forum. I do not bad mouth anything normally and this is definitely out of character for me to act like this but these comments are really affecting me personally. Maybe I'm just being over emotional but I am so sorry to take your thread off topic like this.

I'm sorry Katie :(

Listen I know why you wanna defend breeding but this thread is not supposed to be a breeding debate. I have my stance on breeding and you have yours.When you have seen rescues that have 100 plus rabbits living there waiting for homes many of them purebred and I have even seen a few with ARBA tattoo's in there ears. After seeing that you form an opinion on breeding.....

woahlookitsme wrote:
I'm just tired of all the negative comments about breeders In General. It is truly wearing on me and I can see why there are no more breeders left on this forum. I do not bad mouth anything normally and this is definitely out of character for me to act like this but these comments are really affecting me personally. Maybe I'm just being over emotional but I am so sorry to take your thread off topic like this.

I'm sorry Katie :(
I am sorry also. I understand that you have a hobby and a passion and sometimes you get emotional knocks for something you love.
I am one of those people that have bad mouthed breeders in the past. Because even though there are some good ones there are even more bad ones.
I look at Muppet and I just get mad at breeders not because of her eyesight but because some person created her to be sold at Easter, took her away to early from her mother,dumped her at the most NOTORIOUS pet store in town where she was starved and then sold to some moron who continued to starve her before abandoning her on my doorstep which was the only kind thing done. Due to the early weaning and the starving she has permanent GI damage that causes her chronic stasis and pain and will be fatal one day. She is the sweetest little girl in the world the bun who loves everyone! The girl who tolerates being snuggled by my friends autistic son (he is gentle) and she snuggles him back...He learned to say "bunny" because of her....The vets think she will make it to maybe five years old and that is a maybe! Her problems will get worse and her pain will increase and its all the breeders fault. Sometimes I wonder if keeping her alive is even what is best for her because of her pain and someday I won't be able to control it.....I am sorry and I am ranting which is something I don't do because I am a mod. But I just had to get some things out about my little Miss Muppet and how much I love her and how her little life should never have known suffering.....Sorry for the rant.

dammit, katie! now I really, REALLY want to give Muppet a big ol' hug and she's way too far away!

Guys, the term breeder is too general. *Good* breeders watch their genes, and careful select breeders to promote/demote certain traits, and would not have bred Muppet.
Backyard breeders are the bane of my life. They breed indiscriminately, or even if they do have a sort of order going, it isn't because of health, it's to get the looks they want, and healthy lines have nothing to do with it.

The distinction between the two should be made. Most breeders I know have a contract adopters sign, agreeing if they have to rehome their pet for any reason, they return it to the breeder. This way their *offspring* don't end up in shelters.

I totally understand Katie, stupid, irresponsible people, who actually disgrace the name breeder are to blame for most of my pets problems. :(

yup, there's a world of difference between reputable breeders and irresponsible pet owners who call themselves breeders even though they're in no way qualified to breed.

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
Everyone has a type of bunny that they just don't care for that much or would not wanna own for various reasons. I am one of the few that love them ALL big and small fat and thin lop or up right fluffy or short coat there all lovely to me and both of my girls are rescues.

But when I read posts about certain bunny distaste it always seems to come back to the REW (Ruby eyed white)...People both online and in person at the shelter tell me there creepy,ugly,scary and ewww
Well my little Muppet is a REW and raise your hand if your a fan of fluffy Miss.Muppet???

I feel the same way about REW's-I was going to comment on the other thread but didn't want to start a fight saying: "ALLLLL buns are cute and so on..."

ok, here's my lil' REW

azewpk.jpg

2lt0iz7.jpg

Latest posts

Back