Leasing a horse?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I really, honestly don't think anyone's trying to discourage Amy from her dream here...just letting her know that she needs to create a good foundation to "one up" those that have had more experience.

Honestly, I hope you guys (Amy and Ali) read what I had to say...and take it to heart that I honestly don't think ANYONE here is saying she shouldn't go after her dream.

It's hard to let someone know they do need to start from the ground up in something, only to have them insist they know better...and the people encouraging them to do it from the ground up are people that are experienced in the field, and just telling her their own experiences with things. It's hard on people to have someone ask for advice, and have them argue with advice given by experienced people in that subject.

They're not saying, "Don't do it"...they're saying "do it from the foundational things UP"...so she has every potential to really SUCCEED in the field.

Bottom line...don't ask for advice if you're not prepared to listen to those experienced in the field...and don't take things personally that are meant simply to help you succeed.

Hugs to you both.

If it takes many years, than so be it. It's a dream that I want to try for, if I find that it is not for me, then I can work towards other things in the horse business. Those other things may not be my life long dream, but atleast I will still be around horses as a career, that is what I want.

Honestly, Sweetie...everyone agrees here...a career with horses CAN be had, maybe not the one you want, but ya never know unless you try.

Hugs to you.

undergunfire wrote:
If it takes many years, than so be it. It's a dream that I want to try for, if I find that it is not for me, then I can work towards other things in the horse business. Those other things may not be my life long dream, but atleast I will still be around horses as a career, that is what I want.

Part of going to school is learning what you can and can't do. Ask my friend. Actually don't. I think she changed her major 6 times in 5years.

In the end doesnt matter we all wish her the best and what not.

:biggrin2:

Okay, group hug everybody.

:group:

Itook out a few inflammatory-ish comments, feel free to PM me if anyone has any objections. But we'd appreciate it if it's not taken any further in thisthread. :)

sas :peace

(Edited to add this: I can see where Bo is coming from with her concerns. I know almost nothing about horses, horse training, etc. When I was growing up - things were much different. It was because of Bo's comments that I started thinking some more about this thread and looking at the offerings that Amy's local college - and my son's college offer. I really do think Bo had some good points and I'm glad she brought them up because they should be considered ...but I guess in thinking through all this - I came up with the rest of this post which I posted earlier..).

Peg (who is really "out of it" tonight and should just shut up!

~~~~~

I'll never forget my shock when we took Robin & Eric up to college two years ago and the first instructor we met taught in the equine science program. Horses? They had a program about horses? I sort of thought it was crazy (but hey - we're here in Texas - I suppose anything goes).

It sort of reminds me of a recent conversation with my mom who is 79...she said back in her day - graduating from high school was so much easier. Most girls didn't go to college (unless you were going to be a nurse). You either worked in a store or an office - forget about "finding yourself" and finding a job that fit you.

But now - we have so much more available to us. WhenI look at the choices my daughter has now - compared to what I had 28 years ago when I was in college...to what my mom had...we've come a long way!

Amy, I went and looked at your local college's website. I must say it looks interesting. I've ridden a horse once...when I was young. I fell off and never wanted to ride again. So I'm not looking at this as a "ooh...I love horses" point of view as much as I am looking at it going, "how would this prepare someone for life" and I've got to say that both the degree program and the certificate program look pretty good. The training is pretty broad so that if training horses didn't work out for you for whatever reason - the doors would be open in so many other directions to work with horses...

I think you should at least try for your dreams now. Maybe you'll aim for them and miss...but at least you won't be wondering 20 years from now..."What if I had tried? Where would I be?"

For those who are wondering what the program is like - I found it here:

http://www2.yc.edu/webtools/catalogs/pdf/Degree-and-Certificates.pdf - certificate program is on page 63 and the degree program is on page 37. You will need to have a pdf (adobe) reader on your computer to see the different classes, etc.

Peg

Honestly, I couldn't agree more...and that's what I was trying to say above...I think the words just didn't come out right.

I love ya, Hun (Amy)...please know that I just want the absolute best for you...

I think a lot just got misunderstood/miscommunicated here...and my apologies for not jumping in sooner...

Love to all! (And WONDERFUL wording, Peg...)

Rosie*

TinysMom wrote:
I think you should at least try for your dreams now. Maybe you'll aim for them and miss...but at least you won't be wondering 20 years from now..."What if I had tried? Where would I be?"

Peg

I took time to think about it, and I do understand what you are all saying.

I should have went more into depth of what I want to do. I really want to get into natural horsemanship. I don't have much time to explain it now (Ry and I are about to watch a movie), so I will explain it later.

I can take riding classes and earn credits for them from the school, which is, you could say, like taking a riding class at a stable.

Either way, they will teach me "how to be a better rider" AND teach me about natural horsemanship.

I think you'd be able to do it, Undergunfire! I haven't had much experience riding but i sure do know how to gain a horses trust, sack them out and halter and trailer train and i've only been on a horse a few times and only doing jumping once. And i'm only 15. I learn by watching as well.

So see, you can do it. It will just take time and I'm sure you'll have a good career as a trainer, or trainers assistant or riding instructor.

Good Luck trying to lease a horse. Here is anoth site you can try www.equine.com

I'm saving up my money to buy this horse that I've always wanted. But he isn't really up for sale and I have no idea if the owner will decide to let me buy the horse. But it doesn't hurt as long as I try to ask right? So when I reach a certain point of how much money I think I would spend on this horse I want I'll call up the owner and ask if I can buy her horse. I hope it works *crosses fingers*

Equine programs are soo fun in college. I'm a senior in high school. And I already know what college I want to go too.But what I'm going to do is take a year off and work for a different harness racing farm and if they let me jog horses and race in small races then I won't go to the college I want to go to I'll go to the other oneI have in mind for like training or something like that.

But I hope all works out with you. :) Good Luck and keep us updated. :)

And I'm sure I'll probably keep all of you guys updated about if I get this horse I've always wanted or not. haha :)

Hello!

I've been in the horse industry for almost 13 years, and it is definitely demanding, yet ultimately rewarding. I've been reading what people have posted, and I understand where they're coming from, as it is difficult to start a program of your own.

I've been an assistant trainer for a few years, and the industry can be very cruel, and honestly, the money aspect plainly sucks.

But, like I said, if it's your passion (as it is mine), then it's so amazing to be apart of it!

When I told my parents I wanted to change my major from English (going to be a teacher) to Equine Management, they basically flipped out and refused to pay for my education....SOOoo...horses will have to be a hobby of mine after I graduate :]

I will try to answer your questions

- What should I look out for? Look for an older horse that's experienced in the type of riding you're confident in. A great site if Dreamhorse.com (that's where I sold my horse). You can actually search for whatever your criteria may be (i.e. Chestnut western pleasure QHgelding for lease).

- Should the owner of the horse write up a contract? I'd say that it wouldn't hurt, as a leaser is usually responsible for at least 1/2 of the costs of shoeing, vet bills, etc. You don't want to get stuck with more money obligations than you can manage.

- If the horse gets ill or hurts itself within my leasing care, am I at fault...even if it was an accident? This is a great question to discuss with the owner...it should be an issue addressed in the least contract. Usually, people go in half in these types of situations.

- What is a good price range for a lease? Keep in mind that I will be training the horse....so it is basically me paying the people to train their horse. I'd say you're looking at at least $200 a month. But, will you need to board the horse somewhere? That will also need to be factored in. The boarding costs of my horse were $550 a month.....

- When you lease a horse, you don't pay for the feed, vet care, shoes, ect....right? Again, this is factored into where the horse will be staying. If you're going to keep the horse at his/her owner's, then the price of feed, etc. will be factored into the lease price. It would be extremely rare for the owner to pay for all of the caring costs. Whenever I've leased a horse, I've had to completely pay for all the costs fo shoeing, shots, de-worming, etc.

Good luck, and please don't ever hesitate to contact me :]

-Kathy

Latest posts

Back