Last bit of hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madelyn L.

Reaction score
So I have a large box of Small Pet Select hay. I have been using it for a few months now. However, a few weeks ago my grandmother had to take care of my bunny while I was away. She, although I gave her VERY detailed instructions on how to care for my bunny while I was away, used WAY too much hay. While I had more than half a box of hay left, she cut it down to about an sixth of the box. I now only have about a few handfuls left, and it’s a mixture if hay dust and strands of hay. I usually order my hay from Amazon Prime, but I don’t know if I have enough hay to last a few days. Can I do something with the dust? Or should I go to tractor supply and look for hay that may or may not be my go-to brand? Thanks in advance!

Or just go to walmart or a pet store and pick up a bag to tide you over. You can try tractor supply, but just know sometimes their bales aren't perfect nice long strands if you're getting the standlee compressed timothy.

I always pop open the bale on a tarp in the trunk after I buy it but before I leave the parking lot, to look at the inside of the bale to make sure it's going to be ok for the buns. If it's not good then you're still there to return or exchange it. You don't want any dampness or signs of mold(white or black spots, white dust, sour or musty smell), excessive dustiness, lots of weeds, or excessive amounts of brown strands of hay.

Or just go to walmart or a pet store and pick up a bag to tide you over. You can try tractor supply, but just know sometimes their bales aren't perfect nice long strands if you're getting the standlee compressed timothy.

I always pop open the bale on a tarp in the trunk after I buy it but before I leave the parking lot, to look at the inside of the bale to make sure it's going to be ok for the buns. If it's not good then you're still there to return or exchange it. You don't want any dampness or signs of mold(white or black spots, white dust, sour or musty smell), excessive dustiness, lots of weeds, or excessive amounts of brown strands of hay.
Thanks you for this!

So I have a large box of Small Pet Select hay. I have been using it for a few months now. However, a few weeks ago my grandmother had to take care of my bunny while I was away. She, although I gave her VERY detailed instructions on how to care for my bunny while I was away, used WAY too much hay. While I had more than half a box of hay left, she cut it down to about an sixth of the box. I now only have about a few handfuls left, and it’s a mixture if hay dust and strands of hay. I usually order my hay from Amazon Prime, but I don’t know if I have enough hay to last a few days. Can I do something with the dust? Or should I go to tractor supply and look for hay that may or may not be my go-to brand? Thanks in advance!
You should go to tractor supply. What kind of hay does your rabbit eat?

About the dust, if it is more like crumbled stuff and not just dirt - I have a dedicated bowl for that, and give them a handful now and then. The crumbled stuff actually is the good stuff.

About the dust, if it is more like crumbled stuff and not just dirt - I have a dedicated bowl for that, and give them a handful now and then. The crumbled stuff actually is the good stuff.
Thank you! I will do this. He does eat some of the dusty hay.

I do the same. My rabbit weirdly likes the crumbs. Sometimes I put dried herbs from Binx Bunny on it

Latest posts

Back