Kit Colors

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I'm a complete novice to bunnies and won't be breeding but I'm curious of the term 'Peanut' used to describe the runt. Is this 'Bunny' for runt or something else?
Thankyou for taking the time to educate this novice in all things bunny :bouquet:

cheers shooni

To the best of my knowledge, peanuts and runts are different. Peanuts occur in dwarf breeds, where dwarf rabbits are bred, you have a chance of getting peanuts (more chance with two true dwarf rabbits than one or two false dwarf rabbits). Peanuts have a poorly formed hind end and as far as I'm aware, they don't ever survive. While runts often struggle, they are simply smaller, whereas peanuts seem to be not quite properly formed, something to do with getting two pure strains of the dwarf gene or something. A poor explanation, but I think I got the basics of it. Someone will know the proper terminology and reasoning.

Thankyou Azerane. I think I can see what your referring to in some of the pics, it doesn't look right in the backend compared to the others.It's sad when this happens,I have had a few birds born with deformities and the kinder thing to do is to euthanise them, sad but it happens. thankyou again

cheers shooni

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1403878703.682756.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1403878734.207165.jpg

Thanks!! Here's some updated pics. They're all going to a new home in a few weeks :)

Btw I couldn't bring myself to kill the peanut, I just let it die naturally.

Latest posts

Back