King Kirby's Rabbit Nation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
January 22, 2009

Kirby seems to be growing quite fond of me these days. On Tuesday I sat down on the floor after a long, long day, hoping to just read Eclipse (Book 3 of the Twilight saga). Kirby hopped over and started to sniff me all over. He kept poking his head over my book, attempting to munch on some pages. I kept ignoring him as I wanted to see how far he'd go to disrupt my reading to get attention.

He proceeded to sniff more. Then he did the most amazing thing! He stood up on his hind feet and then rested his front paws on my leg. He just stayed there for a little while. He's never put any part of himself on me voluntarily before. Well, not without a treat in hand luring him towards me anyway. I couldn't help but pet him on the head at that point, he was so sweet!

He hopped off and continued to sniff and hop around me. I went back to reading. He didn't very much like that. He finally stood still looking at me. Then he poked my knee with his nosey! Ok, I had to put down the book after that! I pet him from head to tail until he could take no more :)

I think Kirby's really starting to like me lots :biggrin2:

:dutch

I am glad he is enjoying your company. One thing I have learned about rabbits is they hate to be ignored! If one of mine won't come out of their cage, I just leave the door open and go about my business, then they come hopping out and want my attention.

January 24, 2009

Kirby went to the vet today. Just a routine checkup. He passed with flying colors: good eyes, good teeth, good ears, good abdominal, spotless hiney. Sweet little guy was just perfect. He was just slightly angry with all the touching and traveling. He came home and we discovered he had peed in his travel kennel. Little guy had his paws all wet. I tried to wipe him down but there was no neat way to do it. I bit the bullet and did what moms do... Picked up the urine covered bunny boo and held him in my arms. I patted him dry and gave him a papaya tablet and set him loose. He groomed himself like crazy all afternoon. I ended up having to do a full vacuum job on his condo as a result! Oh yeah, I had to do laundry too --urine covered sweater...

Some pictures of my sweetheart:

"Hi... I'm shy..."
P1010908.jpg

"Hello, mommy. I was just thinking about you... I ate the carpet a while ago. When am I getting new carpeting?"
P1010912.jpg

"They're going to put what in my bunny bum??"
P1010911.jpg

"I knocked over mommy's block tower! Uh oh."
[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/ieLZQneeRVQ[/flash]

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
Kirby is quite a bun! Sounds like a rough day for him, but I am sure the vet's staff oohed and awwwed over him! Who couldn't?

The people at Symphony Vet Center were lovely. Our vet & her bunny assistant were quite taken by him indeed!!
I demand more cute Kirby pictures! :)
I'll try to take and post more! He moves too fast...

kirby'z blogz vol. 2

my turn to blogz again! tomorrow is lunar new year. mommy took some glamour shots of me to show off.

hope you like 'em!

this is what i call... "the soft profile":
P1010934.jpg

this is what i give mommy all the time. i call this one "the googly eyes"

P1010936.jpg

the "sweet surrender"...
P1010939.jpg

the "it" shot.i call this one the "obey me!"
P1010941.jpg

k that's all.
-kirby

January 26, 2009

Debating whether to not to bring Kirby with me to my mom's house on Saturday. She totally traumatized him last time and he wouldn't touch food or acknowledge me for a day afterwards. That was before we knew how to pick him up properly and he was being tugged at by my mom who believes "you don't need to be so gentle with animals" :grumpy:Well, I got a handle of Kirby now. I think we can more civilly handle him and pet him and love him this time 'round. I hope Kirby doesn't get too mad I took him out of his home.

Kirby did some cute stuff eating his hay today. Tried to get a pic but he stopped doing cuteness once I grabbed the camera. It figures...:?

Did anyone see Kirbyz blogz? He's getting mad no one commented on his glamour pix!
:anyone:

I hadn't seen Kirby's blog before.
He's quite the handsome bunny!
I'm familiar with the "obey me" look. Sounds like he's quite good at training you.

I have been remiss in keeping up with all of the new blogs.... I am so glad I clicked on Kirby's blog though. :DHe is one handsome and loved bunner. I thought my trio had it good, until I saw all of Kirby's great pics.

Poor little Kirby must have been scared when his hoomans arrived home late the day of the plane crash. I am surprised he didn't give you the butt for the rest of the night... He must be one foregiving little man.

I love all of the sleepy-bunny pictures he let you take. Makes me wish I could cuddle the warm sleepy guy. From the angle of the pics, one is able to see why he likes the high-rise living. He is really able to oversee his domain and city. :p

Can't wait to see more pics of your sweet Kirby.

myheart

January 28, 2009 - "All My Loves..." & "Will Kirby miss me when I'm gone?"

Can't believe it's already almost February. Time goes so fast. And what have I done all month but basically hate my job day in and day out...? What a waste. At least I am happy at home. I guess that sort of evens it out.

I got engaged last year around this time. It was an anxious time in my personal life. Work was...not what I'd call good but in comparison to now, those were the good ol' days, sadly. Life was more simple then. The rest of 2008 was extremely trying. I barely, barely made it. But I'm here! With my love Kevin & my new love Kirby. My husband and my bunny. The two most important boys of my life :inlove:

So the mid-season tv shows have started up since last week or so and boy has my DVR been fired up. I feel kind of bad because I have been thinking lately "how come Kirby doesn't binky as much anymore? How come Kirby doesn't wipe his face as much anymore in that really cute rabbity way?" Turns out, I've just spent less time with him since the season premieres. :dunno

On the one hand, I have 3 hobbies in life: playing video games, watching tv and cooking/eating. I have no other real consistent interests! All-new episodes ofFringe, Lost, House, Scrubs and the long-awaited 24 is what I ache for! But on the other hand... my bunny... he is all alone without me, his only friend and annoyance.I resolved to spend more time with him tonight. I'm sitting with my lappytop in his room. He is hopping around, occassionally going into his cage for hay. I like to watch him hop. But I like to watch my tv... but I can DVR my shows, I cannot DVR my bunny.

I am counting down the days til I go on a 14 day vacation abroad. Again I'm torn... I've been dying for a vacation since September (my honeymoon)... but it means leaving Kirby at home. He's going to be bunnysit by my brother who's staying over my apt for 2 weeks. I didn't want to bring Kirby to some other place unless I had to, especially for so long. I am not sure if he will miss me... maybe he will... but I'm not sure how attached he is to me yet. I am super attached to him. I forgot to turn on my web Kirby-kam this morning before work and I was wrecked all day wishing I could get a glimpse at what he was doing at home. I hope I can see him from where I'm staying through Kirby-kam. I would be so miserable if I didn't get to see his hoppity happiness for 2 solid weeks. :nerves1

Do you think Kirby will forget about me if I leave for 2 weeks? Do you think he'll think I gave him away (to my brother) even though he's still living in the same place during these 2 weeks? Will he be mad when I come back? :cry2

I'm going to try to spend more time with the little guy so I can get as many beautiful memories into my noggin as possible so I can think about him when I'm away. I hope he will think fondly of me while we're apart as well. :hug1

Here's my love, eyeing his bin of hay.
"Hi mommy, are you gonna gimme some of that?"
P1010946.jpg

myheart wrote:
I am surprised he didn't give you the butt for the rest of the night... He must be one foregiving little man.

I have offended him deeply and often in my earlier days with him as a newbie bunny owner. But he forgives me all the same. The most mad he was ever at me was a couple weeks after we were together and he gave me the rump view for about a day and a half. Even around Christmas when I first attempted to clip his nails, after I chased him around for 2 days straight he quickly forgave me a few hours later. He is either helplessly forgiving or silly and naive. I love him either way.
one is able to see why he likes the high-rise living. He is really able to oversee his domain and city. :p
When we first got him he hung out on the 3rd floor of his condo a lot. We just assumed he felt safer up there. When it got cold and drafty, I covered the window side of his condo with a towel to keep him warm and he started to migrate to the other levels to take his nappies. The other day it finally got warm enough and I took down the towel. He spent all day on the 3rd floor, giving me the butt and I couldn't figure out why. Well, it's because giving me the butt means he's facing sideways with his eye looking out the window :)

I left the towel off these last few sunny days.I saw through my web Kirby-kam that he likes to sit sideways like that, staring outside, bathing a bit in the winter sun while I am at work. Using the window's natural light also allowed me to take his sleep-head pics. I leave the towel off whenever I can now. He really enjoys looking outside.

February 1, 2009: Pets as a Learning Tool, Scaredy Bunny, & The Virgin Nip

On Saturday I brought Kirby to see the rest of my family. My mom, grandmaand bro have seen Kirby before, but the extended family haven't. People's opinions differed (some are animal-phobic), but the general consensus was that he's special looking (cool black color) and that his eyes were adorably big and googly. ;)One of my little kid cousins was so taken with him. This kid usually is so stuck to his Nintendo, but he was so interested in Kirby that he abandoned his video games and spent all night playing and petting. My opinion is that this kid is seriously ADHD and spoiled to death. His parents will not get him a pet though. He took real good care of Kirby with a little education. At 12 years old, he should learn some responsibility, and I think that getting him a pet is not necessarily a burden and could be good for him.

Kirby was scared, of course. He barely touched his food all night, but he ate any treats we offered him. Though threatened, he was still a perfectly polite bunny. He took any petting anyone would give him and he went in his litter box (yeah I brought a little one for him). He came home and went straight into his hay bungalow and that's where he stayed unless he needed to go. Till today he still is hanging out mostly in his bungalow where he feels safe. But he's been totally chillaxing andflopped over so I know he's not that uncomfortable and traumatized:biggrin2:

The Friday night before that was a *whole other story*. He was becoming a big fuzzball as he's molting right now, so I had to brush him down or else anyone who pet him the following day would be a huge mess of rabbit hair. I had to put him on a table on top of a towel but he did not like it one bit. He started to push me away to try and make his escape, but of course I wasn't going to let him jump 4 feet off a table. Then, he actually nipped my forearm!!! It was like the arm equivalent of a purple nurple! It was so painful that I bopped his bunny bun once for being a meanie. I still have a bruise there... :(Anyway I had to cover his head with another towel to get him to sit still... sigh.

He's never nipped me before. I feel as if... our relationship has escalated to some kind of... familiarity that he would nip me... it's weird. :toast:

Kirby will miss you very much while you are gone. Although I suspect he will make you pay when you get back for a little while. It may take a lot of treats and petting to get back on his good side.;)

I think I've been nipped at one time or the other by all of my bunny's. Sometimes its a little nip to say "slave you've stopped petting me" or "hey, I don't like that! and now you must feel my wrath" or "I am a teenage bunny and I'm not in a good mood".

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
Kirby will miss you very much while you are gone. Although I suspect he will make you pay when you get back for a little while. It may take a lot of treats and petting to get back on his good side.;)

I think I've been nipped at one time or the other by all of my bunny's. Sometimes its a little nip to say "slave you've stopped petting me" or "hey, I don't like that! and now you must feel my wrath" or "I am a teenage bunny and I'm not in a good mood".

I figured as much, wabbitdad. I hope Kirby doesn't miss me to the point of being sad and eating less. I am already worried about him losing a bit of weight since I got him. I have been giving him slightly more pellets, greens, and feeding him little treats he likes like a couple more pieces of dried cranberry and some canned pumpkin. I know he likes that stuff and it's considerably better for him than other treats. I want him to remember me fondly... hopefully lessen the inevitable blow when I get back :biggrin2:

The nippiness... he's really been quite jolly since the event. He's a very, very forgiving bunny and always has been. I think he was scared and tried to tell me "hey I don't like that! munch!" He doesn't dare pull that on my husband. I guess I should take that as a compliment that he feels more comfortable with me as his slave ;)

4 and a half more days till my flight...

My husband and I have been looking forward to going on vacation for months. We are both exhausted from work and looking for 2 whole weeks to get away from the office and indulge our inner foodie. We've been having a lot of fun planning and imagining the food spots we're hitting up already. But I keep having this nagging uncomfortable feeling even though I'm really excited to go...

Last night instead of going to bed early like I had planned, I went to bed and ended up sobbing for hours. I cried myself to sleep, just in anticipation of being away from my Kirby. I kept seeing in my mind his sweet little bunneh head, big brown beautiful eyes, and soft perfect ears... and not being able to pet him. I worried about him being in someone else's care even though it'd just be my brother who adores Kirby. I worried if he'd eat some more carpet or some other crazy thing he'd get his paws on. I worried if he wouldn't get enough to eat or if my bro forgot to give him more water or something. What if he brings over friends and they torture him with their inexperience of rabbit handling... I was freaking out and my heart ached just at the thought of Kirby being scared. It's taken Kirby so very long to come out of his shell and he's been showing me his fun and playful side... I would be crushed if he thought I was abandoning him.

He's my baby face. I had a real hard time adjusting to married life and Kirby transformed everything. He became a part of my new life and gave me a wonderful purpose. He doesn't know it but he's the world to me and I wouldn't know what to do with myself without him now. Like when I get really really angry at work, I just see him do his little half-binky-shakey-shake on the web cam and I can't stay mad at anyone anymore. My colleagues should send baskets of carrots to Kirby for the mercy he brings forth in me.

Kirby Kirby Kirby... I don't know what will become of me these 2 weeks. I really hope I can enjoy the vacation. I will miss him so, so, so much.

I know it will be difficult for you to walk out the door for your vacation because no one else in the entire world will take as good of care of Kirby as you do.

With that being said, don't forget the real reason you want this vacation, to re-energize yourself. Kirby is able to sense all of your stress and realize something is wrong. Don't turn him into a basket case before you leave.

Get all of your directions written down (check and double-check them) and take the time to go over them with your bunny-sitter until they understand them. Try to make sure Kirby's schedule is close to what he has already, especially when he gets free-run time and when it is time to go back to bed.

Just remember that as long as Kirby has his fresh food, water, and hay, has a clean litter pan, and his usual run-time, he will live. It might be hard to believe, but it is true (I had to get over that one myself for a day-trip I took this past summer---one day!).

Hope that helps.... Now have fun!!!!

myheart

kirbyultra wrote:
What if he brings over friends and they torture him with their inexperience of rabbit handling... I was freaking out and my heart ached just at the thought of Kirby being scared. :dutch

I agree, just go over the rules and how important it is to maintain Kirby's schedule and remind your brother that if wants to continue breathing when you get back to take good care of Kirby.;)

Just remember to bring back some presents for Kirby too!:) Kirby will be just fine, set your brother up a RO account and if he has any questions there will be thousands of people to help him. While your relaxing on your vacation, Kirby will behavingfuntraining a newslave.

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
remind your brother that if wants to continue breathing when you get back to take good care of Kirby.;)

Kirby will behavingfuntraining a newslave.
LOL good points, wabbitdad. I'll make sure to remember those. :bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back