Kindling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly I would leave her be. Your stress she will pick up on and its just going to bother her. Not to mention think of how upset some pregnant women get by constantly being poked and prodded, you doing that to her is just going to make her mad.

The lady obviously made a mistake and I'd just leave her be and let her settle in and relax. Which is what she needs to do.

Tums are known to increase oxytocin levels. It's mostly used to help induce labor for does who are known to have trouble delivering. The calcium boost is also healthy although you generally don't get results from tums alone. Direct doses of oxytocin would be needed, although this should only be done if you know that you've already lost the entire litter. It can also rupture the uterus if the dose is too high.

Tums are safe to give, just no more than 2 per day. My does think they taste yucky though :p

I would be careful with the tums though. to much calcium can be harmful. I would leave her alone as long as the babies are still moving and she seems ok. you are close for sure though.:goodluck

update: Still no babies. I gave her tons more hay though so she can rebuild her nest if she wants. She has eaten all of the hay that was in her nestbox. So all that is in it now is fur and pine shavings. She was really jumpy and skiddish when I put food in her bowl this morning and gave her new hay. But, she has eaten all of her food in like 5 minutes, so we will see.

Rachel

Rachel,

Have you checked her down there?? A sign can be swollen down there and then you know when about she will have them?

Misty

mistyjr wrote:
Rachel,

Have you checked her down there?? A sign can be swollen down there and then you know when about she will have them?

Misty

She seems a little swollen, but not too bad. Not that I really know how swollen is swollen. :expressionlessI haven't even been taking her out of her cage like I usually due everyday, just because I am afraid it will stress her out. That was the first time I held her in like 5 days. At least 2 babies are moving around still though. :) I like the fact the I can just look at her and see them move. It's pretty cool. :) But she really is going to be pregnant forever...it's official. LOL

Rachel

My Guess is that the dates were wrong. It may only be day 30. Either way she's still doing well.

A rabbit's cervix doesn't dilate until minutes before kindling. Of course, in preparation to dilate, there is increased bloodflow to the area making it swollen. Of course, every rabbit is different and when they get swollen is a hard way to tell when she'll deliver.

Update:Still no babies.:X I quite giving her tums, afraid I am doing more damage than good. She has not used her nestbox as a litter box, so I guess that is still a good sign. As of late last night, the babies were still moving. I haven't checked yet today since she is eating and such. This is day 40 for her if we go by the Sept. 26th due date. Which the Owner almost swears to now that I ave emailed her. She is concerned for her also, seeing as how she delivered on day 31 the last time.

Please don't take my posts as rude, but just leave her be and stop poking and proding. Put STRAW in the nest box, thats what its for. Hay is only for eating and def not nesting material. And then checking on her is fine but not constant handling, she will pick up on your stress, animals sense that and it will NOT help her in the least. Just feed and water and peek in the box, don't touch it. You'll be able to tell a difference in her when she has them and be able to see them moving around in the nest box without touching.

And you mentioned you stopped feeding them to her,but yeah too much calcium is VERY dangerous to rabbits, humans or anything.

Can you get any Raspberry leaves?? I was told by many breeders to feed a pregnant doe some leaves before they have their babies.. But yeah, Just check on her once in awhile every couple of hours. I really think that the last breeder didnt know what the heck they were doing and got the days mixed up a little.

You can also put straw on the out side of the nesting box and let the mother do how she wants to do it.

Now on RH they are thinking that she didn't even take and that I may be mistaking movement for gas. They have mentioned me trying to breed her again, but I am afraid of that too. I may just wait until this weekend and if she hasn't kindled then try to rebreed her. What do you think?

Rachel

I had a LH doe that was due on the 21st.. I felt something in her belly and thought there were babies in there. But she never had any babies. I felt something like squeeshy feeling, Some people say that she could have reabsorbed them or it was poo.. I guess i will never know what happen to her.. I still feel the lump in her though..
But yeah, You can rebred her.

mistyjr wrote:
I had a LH doe that was due on the 21st.. I felt something in her belly and thought there were babies in there. But she never had any babies. I felt something like squeeshy feeling, Some people say that she could have reabsorbed them or it was poo.. I guess i will never know what happen to her.. I still feel the lump in her though..
But yeah, You can rebred her.

I do feel something...but it close to her ribs and not in her lower belly so I dismissed it as me being inexperienced. They don't carry that high, do they?

Rachel

They babid should have been lower by now, I would think.. It could be her lungs that you are feeling?

mistyjr wrote:
They babid should have been lower by now, I would think.. It could be her lungs that you are feeling?

Could be. I think that if she hasn't kindled before Saturday then I will rebreed her. I think that is the best thing to do.

Rachel

Yup... I think you are feeling lungs or whatever is it that area.. Every rabbit that I feel haves that in about that area.

mistyjr wrote:
Yup... I think you are feeling lungs or whatever is it that area.. Every rabbit that I feel haves that in about that area.

Duely noted. ;) thanks! On RH they are saying that I should rebreed her now, I know you are on there, so if you can take a look at what I wrote and tell me what you think that would be great. THANKS!!

Rachel

Latest posts

Back