Kindling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcohen1982

Reaction score
I bought my very first Doe 'Winner'and Buck 'Cappie'from a person that had shown them before, but has gotten out of it. Well, when we were emailing back and forth she said that they had been exposed together but didn't suspect anything. That email was on September 1st. Well, she decided to Palpate Winner on Sept. 13th and felt about 4 or 5 babies :) She thought that Winner was due Sept. 26th. I received Winner and Cappie on Sept. 18th. On Sept. 24th I but the nestbox box in her cage and she peed and pooped in it, so I waited to put it in again til Sept. 26th (her due date). Same thing happened. I have been replacing her nestbox every day now. Afraid that she will have them when there isn't a box in there. It is now the 28th with no kits born yet and I don't know what to do. She continues to pee and poop inher nest box, I know she is pregnant cause I can see them move. Any advice?

Thanks

Rachel

she may just be a last minute nester! give her till day 31 we have just had a pole give us a litter of 2 a week later than she should have but usually they will have gone by the 31 day mark!

oh usually when they are due they tend to lie down a lot and they tend to look uncomfortable usually at that point mine go within a day or 2

It is 2 days past her 31 day mark. :shock: She has been laying down TONS the past 3 days. She looks so uncomfortable and now only goes to her nesting box to apparently poop and pee in it. Before when I first put it in there she would eat the hay or lay down in it. :(

Am I doing something wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong Rachel. It's just that your doe is being a butt. lol I don't know if there is really anything that you can do that will get her to stop going to the bathroom in it... is it in a spot where she usually poops and pees? Maybe you could switch it to the other side of the cage if that's the case. Get it out of the way of her usuall potty spot. lol If she won't stop, you may just have to clean it out regularly... kind of a pain, but the kits might get infections in a dirty nest.

No, it isn't where she usual goes to the bathroom, in fact a couple of days ago I moved it even more so that way she has 3 corners and not just 2. I am worried that maybe there could be something more that I can do. I feel so helpless. :( Another reason why I know she is pregnant is because last night I had her out of her cage for excersise and my mom let out the Buck not realizing what would happen, needless to say the Doe was not amused and attacked him. :shock:

Rachel

I'm dealing with this exact thing!!! My die killed some of her kits by peeing in the nestbox none stop. She too held her kits in longer and went in her nestbox before they were there. The problem might be she feels there is no place for them to be born since she chose the nestbox for the bathroom.

wooly_queen wrote:
You're not doing anything wrong Rachel. It's just that your doe is being a butt. lol I don't know if there is really anything that you can do that will get her to stop going to the bathroom in it... is it in a spot where she usually poops and pees? Maybe you could switch it to the other side of the cage if that's the case. Get it out of the way of her usuall potty spot. lol If she won't stop, you may just have to clean it out regularly... kind of a pain, but the kits might get infections in a dirty nest.

P1030763.jpg

This is what the set up looks like

P1030768.jpg

This is her about 15 minutes ago...she looks miserable which makes me think she is ready.

P1030765.jpg

This is her nestbox and as you can see she already peed in the right hand corner of it after I just remade it this afternoon.

timbaland wrote:
I'm dealing with this exact thing!!! My die killed some of her kits by peeing in the nestbox none stop. She too held her kits in longer and went in her nestbox before they were there. The problem might be she feels there is no place for them to be born since she chose the nestbox for the bathroom.
Is it because she is under stress from the move and new enviorment? I would think that would make her go into labor sooner rather than later though. :?

try giving her two boxes. Hopefully she'll decide to poop in one and keep the babies dry in the other.
Is she a proven doe? If so, find out what type of boxes the previous breeder used. Perhaps she used wooden or metal bonett style ones that she could sit on top of.

jubidyjub wrote:
try giving her two boxes. Hopefully she'll decide to poop in one and keep the babies dry in the other.
Is she a proven doe? If so, find out what type of boxes the previous breeder used. Perhaps she used wooden or metal bonett style ones that she could sit on top of.

If I put 2 boxes in there, she will have like no room to stretch out. :( I am using plastic nest box cause that is what I was told the previous owner used. She is a proven doe, in fact the buck, Cappie, is her son.

Thanks!

Rachel

I would wait until she kindles. She may stop the habit. Contact the breed and ask if she's had this problem in the past.

jubidyjub wrote:
I would wait until she kindles. She may stop the habit. Contact the breed and ask if she's had this problem in the past.
Okay, so let me see if I understand what you are saying...you want me to wait until she has the babies on the floor of thecage and then move them to the box after? Sorry if I sound unintellegent about all this, this is my first litter. And I have contacted the previous breeder and she never had any problems.

rcohen1982 wrote:
jubidyjub wrote:
Okay, so let me see if I understand what you are saying...you want me to wait until she has the babies on the floor of thecage and then move them to the box after? Sorry if I sound unintellegent about all this, this is my first litter. And I have contacted the previous breeder and she never had any problems.

Well, sadly that might be the only choice if she won't use the box for anything besides a bathroom... and she may not evenhave them on the wire and still use the box.

I've had does usethe boxas a bathroomand I kept it clean as best I could, she had thebabiesin the box and stopped using it as a potty. So she could very well have them in the box and then stop the habit of peeing and pooping in it.

If she pulls fur and puts it all in the box, that coul be a good sign that she'll use it for the babies. Just make sure the fur doesn't get too dirty.

wooly_queen wrote:
rcohen1982 wrote:
jubidyjub wrote:

Well, sadly that might be the only choice if she won't use the box for anything besides a bathroom... and she may not evenhave them on the wire and still use the box.

I've had does usethe boxas a bathroomand I kept it clean as best I could, she had thebabiesin the box and stopped using it as a potty. So she could very well have them in the box and then stop the habit of peeing and pooping in it.

If she pulls fur and puts it all in the box, that coul be a good sign that she'll use it for the babies. Just make sure the fur doesn't get too dirty.
Last night after replacing the best for the 3rd time that day I decided to not put it in there anymore. I have it all ready to go if she does start to kindle, hoping that if I put it in there at that time she will still use it for the babies. She still hasn't Kindled yet :shock:Which now makes her 3 days past the expected date. But I have been checking on her every 15 minutes because I have heard stories on how the young won't survive if not in a well inallated nest box. They are indoors though, so I am hoping that helps also. I am so concerned....and frustrated:(

Are you sure she's pregnant??

I would try and feed her some Raspberry leaves and Lavender. And also I heard feeding them tums... It might help

My LH doe was supposed to be due on 21st of this month and I felt babies at the beginning but she never had them. They said she reabsorbed them..

mistyjr wrote:
Are you sure she's pregnant??

I would try and feed her some Raspberry leaves and Lavender. And also I heard feeding them tums... It might help

My LH doe was supposed to be due on 21st of this month and I felt babies at the beginning but she never had them. They said she reabsorbed them..
Pretty sure she is pregnant. I have seen them move. Also, I let the Doe out to run around the house and without my mom thinking she let out the Buck as well (She has no experience with rabbits and figured no harm could be done since the Doe was pregnant) well, the Buck was trying to mount the Doe and she was not having it at all! She gave him a piece of her mind! Furr literally went flying before I realized what was going on and seperated them. I am just thinking maybe the lady got the dates wrong since it wasn't an intentional breeding? I know it happened before Sept. 1st though.

mistyjr wrote:
ahh, So when did (thinks) she got breed? If it was Sept 1st. She's not due yet.

I was told by the breeder that she was due Sept. 26th. The breeder and I started discussing them being exposed on Sept. 1st. Which is how I know that it happened before Sept. 1st. So, somewhere between Sept. 26th, and Oct. 1st. *shrugs shoulders* I dunno....this is so frustrating. Mainly because I don't know the exact date it happened.

I'm reletivly new to this breed but she looks pregnant. If you want you can place your palm under her belly and feel her without exerting pressure. If you get her to lay on your hand that would work too.

Latest posts

Back