Kidney Problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toby

Reaction score
Hello everyone my names Toby. I've had my rabbit for a little over 5 years and yesterday I started having problems with him. He would just lie in one spot and wouldn't eat or drink. Today I took him to the vets and they took his temperature which was low. They than took blood tests and found out he's got problems with his kidneys. I guess he was cold and dehydrated as well which are problems from the kidneys. They gave me some stuff to feed him by syringe which is for small animals that aren’t eating correctly and also an antibiotic pill which I give him half a day. They told me if he doesn't perk up and start eating in a few days I would probably have to put him to sleep.

Are kidney problems in rabbits normal? I was also just wondering are the chances of him getting better any good?

it's difficult by your description to know whether he has kidney problems and/or a urinary tract infection. Did they test his urine also to see if he has bacteria in it.\?
Also what is the antibiotic that they gave him?

Are the vets that you see knowledgeable about rabbits or do they seem uncertain themselves?
If they seem uncertain then it would be wise for you to find another vet. Bladder and kidney problems are treatable and common in rabbits.

Did they give him fluids while he was at the vets for his dehydration?

If not you may want to call and ask them if they could teach you how to do it. In the meantime you need to syringe him pedialyte or water to help him with the dehydration . That in itself will make him feel terrible.
Try to get some more info so we can help you more

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12052&forum_id=10

No they didn't test his urin they just checked his temp and ran blood tests. When he showed me the results there were 6 things they tested for and 4 of the 6 were high. The pills they gave me are called Baytril. I gave him the half a pill (orally mixed with a little water) a little while ago and he seemed to eat it right up.

I took him to the vets I always go to so yes they deal with rabbits and other small animals. The dr was very certain the problem has to do with his kidneys. He said he wasn't sure if it was just his age or if there is an infection.

Yes they gave him some kind of shot to help with his dehydration. On the way home he was sitting on my lap and seemd to be a little more alert than he was earlier.

Unfortunately they didn't give me a copy of the test. I remember he said one was something about bowel movements, one was dehydration, one had to do with stress, and the other wasfiber I think. But all 4 were very high and above the normal numbers they should be at. Only 2 others were at the normal value they should be at.

The stuff they gave him for the dehydration also to give him some nutrients so I don't know if that helps at all.

maybe you could call the vet office and ask them if you could have a copy of the test results.

If you could get the test results it would help us help you and your rabbit.

5yrs old is an adult rabbit but not an old rabbit so I am surprised that your vet would say that.
You need to go out and get some infant pedialyte (unflavored) if you can and use a syringe to give him fluids.

You will also need to feed him by syringe if he won't eat on his own. Did the doctor give you Critical care?

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15552&forum_id=10

Yup, Critical Care is what he gave me.

As for the pedialyte he didn't say anything about that. You think that would help him out though? How much do I give the rabbit? He weighs about 50 pounds. Also do I have to water it down or anything?

if he weighs 5 lbs. the technical amount would be 50- 100ml/kg over the period of 24 hrs.

That would be about 170 ml per 24 hrs. but don't freak out about that amount.

Every1-2 hours or so slowly try to get him to drink a few cc. You don't want to gag him or choke him but just keep fluids in his body. You also don't want to totally stress him out

if you get unflavored pedialyte you could just give him that alone

if you can only get flavored then alternate it with water or dilute it as it has sugar in it.

Also if you feed greens to him you could offer him fresh greens that are left wet.

I am wondering if your doctor said anything about kidney failure?

Opps yeah 5 pounds sorry I was typing that out in a rush.

No he didn't say anything about kidney failure. The only thing he said was it might be some kind of infection.

I'll try the pedialyte and see if he'll drink it. Right now he doesn't seem to be any better. He's just laying in the cage not moving much at all. :(

This threadbrings up a lot of questions. I think we really need more specific info on what exactly was done at the vet's office. Some things here don't add up so I have more questions than answers. My first question is the use of Baytril....and a couple of points there. First, the tablets taste terrible....they are liver flavored. While very few rabbit savvy vets use Baytril now, when we did, we flavored the infusion version for oral use....but Baytril seems to work better if injected. If we are going after a confirmed bacterial infection, there are much better choices available as far as antibiotics. I would also have to bring into question why we would use an antibiotic if we had a low body temp as most bacterial infections will raise the body temperature. Did the vet administer fluids either sub-q or IV? That is basic response to kidney issues....even entry level techs know that. Did we do x-rays of the abdomen looking for GI or bladder issues? Low body temp is nearly always a sign of shock....and GI stasis will lower the body temp and lead to shock. Shock should be considered an emergency in any species and treated accordingly....quickly and aggressively.

Based on the post....and I will officially reserve judgement until we hear more from Toby....at this point I must question the care from the vet. Maybe Toby can enlighten us on more facts so that we can help him out here. I am hoping that much more was done to treat this rabbit than the posts indicate. And just a note about using Critical Care with a dehydrated animal.....hydration before nutrition. If you put food in a dehydrated GI, the body will be forced to pull fluids from the rest of the body in a losing attempt to digest that foodand this becomes a self feeding problem as the animal cascades deeper into dehydration. And Critical Care requires a lot of fluids to both mix and digest. In an emergency situation....always get hydration before nutrition.

And kidney problems are no more common in rabbits than any other species. Some are prone to bladder sludge. That has been blamed on improper diet....specifically high amounts of calcium....but the jury is still out on that as it seems that might be more of a herditary issue....just like some humans (me) are prone to kidney stones no matter what. Dental issue can cause issues like this. Infections or tumors in the abdomen. And EC is always lurking to cause havoc in the renal system.

I have a feeling this might be a GI problem as much as anything. In you reply post Toby....if you could give us a run down of your rabbit's complete diet as well as water intake. Also consider the possibility that he might have eaten something that would cause a gut problem....certain beddings are always suspect and carpet fibers must usually be considered. I think we might need to be expanding our look at this issue in order to help you and your rabbit.

It would also be of help if you could post your general location in your profile as we all have rabbit savvy vets we can refer you to if necessary.

And just for information....we have had rabbits in renal failure (for various ailments) for years.....our Yoda was in renal failure for nearly two years secondary to EC and our modified husbandry protocols gave him a good quality of life for that period of time. It's all in understanding and correctly diagnosing what is going on.

Looking forward to seeing more info on this situation....and hopefully offering you some good advice.

Randy

They told me to crush up the baytril and mix it with some water and feed it to him by syringe. He seemed to have no problems with it as he ate it right up and seemed to like it.

As for the fluids I have no idea he took my rabbit into the back room when he did it. No x-rays were takenall he did was take the temp and run a blood test. He said the dehydration & low temp was caused from the problems in the kidneys.

As for his diet all he really eats is the normal pellets and timothy hay. I have no idea how much water he drinks I just always keep his water bottle full. He couldn't have eaten anything like bedding or carpet because I don't let him run around the house.

Really he's been fine just until yesterday. Even yesterday morning/afternoon he was fine all day running around as his normal self. Then just last night he would lie in one spot and not move much. Like I said he won't eat or drink and looks like he hasn't gone to the bathroom at all.

I think that what Randy is suggesting is that your rabbit could have GI stasis and /or other problems that your vet may not have addressed.GI stasis would be a slowdown of his gut . Has he pooped and peed at all since you realized that he was sick?

Hi Toby
Even if we are not sure what the problem is with his kidneys..it sounds like his gut is shutting down which is a very serious problem

He need to start getting fluids by mouth and then a little later try feeding him either critical care or possibly canned pumpkin (not with seasoning), greens, or possibly a small amount of fruit to try to stimulate his appetite.
You have to get something into him.
This condition is called GI stasis.

I'll post a couple link so that you can better understand it

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=28622&forum_id=10

I just gave him a little bit of the pedialyte. He seemed to move around a little bit more once he had it. I'll give him some more later on.

Keep him on the baytril also..

the problem is is that we don't have a clear picture of all that is going on and I'm not sure that your vet does either.
keep him hydrated and syringe him food and the major problem right now is keeping his gut moving and helping him to begin to pee and poo by himself.

Please keep posting so we can help ...

Well Squirrely seems to be doing a bit better today. He ate a few pieces of hay last night which I was happy to see. It also looks like he went poo a bit during the night and today. Although it looks kind of direahish but I'm guessing thats better than nothing. I gave him some pedialyte this morning which he drank right up. I just tried to feed him a bit of the critical care and he wasn't to interested in it.

Oh and he also seems to be moving around a bit more.

Latest posts

Back