Keeping an eye on 'the eye'

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried to put her in a bunny burrito before syringing the meds? Wiggle the syringe behind her teeth a little and let her get a taste of the (flavored) meds. Hopefully, she will like it and drink it down on her own. Syringe a little at a time and give her time to swallow it all.

Hope this helps. Mine are nightmares when it comes to syringing meds. Good luck!!

Yeah, i tried, but even then she still won't let me get to her mouth. She just hates people touching her face. I don't know if it is something to do with her previous home. I can't touch her nose or cheeks/eyes without her jerking her head viciously and legging it (if she can). If i flip her over she still jerks her head and struggles really hard until i can't hold her anymore (i'm worried if she twists her neck too much to the side, which she often does, then if i hold her body she migth end up breaking her neck/back so i usually turn her back over).

I will try mixing a little apple juice, can Baytril not be put into her water? She drinks a half bottle everyday so i could put a quarter bottle and fill it with a few drops of apple juice and her Baytril and she will probably drink it pretty fast.

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

I phoned the vet for some advice and she recommended associating a yummy food with med time. So i haven't fed Lottie and apple yet, and i thought that she would probably love that. I came up with the idea i could dig little 'holes' in the apple with the syringe and pump the Baytril in there. She ate it all in a matter of seconds so iguess it worked! I've decided now that apple will be her medication/vet visit/stressful day treat.

Yeah, the vet said it wasn't actually essential, the idea of the Baytril was to quote 'hit her at two angles' with the oral drugs and the eye drops too. The apple seems to work though, she loves it. I gave her her eye drops on the sofa and gave her a bit of apple after. She doesn't really seem to mind the drops, although now she's learnt and closes her eyes unless i get in there quick! She did pee on the sofa afterwards though :X Its cream... suede...

UPDATE!

The eye is looking alot better. Its less sore, still a little damp around but its not bulging at all. Its the same bulge as her other eye now. Her sniffly nose has almost cleared up, its literally only the little 'eyelid' bit poking out. I'm keeping her on eye drops twice daily and 1.6ml Baytril once daily and it seems to be doing something! She has to go in all day on Monday but i'm thinking it might be cleared quite well by then, so i may say to the vet does she need to stay in all day or can she just have a check-up, but we will see how it goes.

I've got some better pictures from today. It still looks all wet around (this was just after she had her eyedrops, i missed her eye the first time so she had a dribble down her face which added to it)

P6090297.jpg

P6090260.jpg

I'm so happy and relieved that Lottie seems to be responding well to the vet-prescribed eye drops and Baytril. What a relief that must be for you.

And, by the way, the pictures are adorable! Give Lottie a kiss from me!

I did and I love! Love, love, love, love. I'm like...in...love...with...Lottie.

Maybe I have a problem :p. Do they have a Lottie Lover's Anonymous? I need to go ;).

Really glad that Lottie is doing better and that you figured out the apple treat/medicinal supply mechanism - I may have to steal that idea for my bun if he gets sick!

Well, little update. Don't have any pictures but i will find one! Her eye is really really cleared up. It looks absolutley fine, doesn't look sore or particularly wet (it gets a little wet when i give the eye drops because she knows what is coming now, and tightly closes her eyes! I can only get about half a drop in her eye because she closes her lid so tightly i can't even prise it open!) The only bit left is the fact she still has that little eyelid bit poking out, but it doesn't seem to be irritating her. I'm wondering if that is something that will always be there, or may just go away in time.

She still has an appointment at the vets for an allday hospitalisation. I will go in but i might ask the vet if she really does need to stay in all day. We will see how it goes!

I'm so happy to hear about Lottie's eye. I'm glad she seems to be getting better and that her eye is no longer sore, bulging, or wet. And I'll be interested to hear what the vet decides about whether or not Lottie needs to spend the entire day at the office.

I hope shecontinues to get well and that her eye isn't an issue for her ever again.

You know how much I adore Lottie:hearts:. We definitely need more pics of her new, healthy self :rofl:! Ah, I'm just so happy she's okay.

Another picture for you.

It was actually quite wet yesterday, lots of weepy goo. I cleaned it off, but its weird how it seems to have just reappeared! We will see how it goes!

stuff038.jpg

Compared to the first pic, it doesn't really look muc different but i think it is:

lottie002.jpg

Oh no! Poor Lottie! It is strange how it's seemed to have come back again. Hopefully it'll be something that the vet's can look at (she's going back on Monday, right?) and diagnose relatively easily. I really hope it's something that can be treated completely.

I love the Lottie pic, but I'm so sorry to hear that it's gone sore, bulgy, and weepy again. I will keep you and Lottie in my thoughts and prayers that it's nothing serious and that she makes a full and complete recovery soon.

:pray:.

I didn't completley revert back to how it was before. It just had alot of weepy goo around the area. It doesn't look at inflamed or irritated. Maybe if they flush the duct one more time it will clear it for good.

Just hope it doesn't cost me too much more!

Latest posts

Back