Keeping an eye on 'the eye'

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never heard of either vaccine costing much more than £20..:? VHD only needs done once a year though, and Myxi, unless you live in a high risk area.

I know, stingy isn't it. I can't find anywhere cheaper around me. If i travelled further out it would probably be cheaper but then i probably wouldn't save antyhing because of petrol. And i live in a 'high risk' area apparently, so every 6 months for me :(

*Pics* at Pipps request:

I managed to take some pics, she won't sit still! But a bit of cauliflower soon solved that!

You can see the difference in the 'bulge' isn't that big, infact i think it has gone down.

lottie023.jpg

lottie014.jpg

This is a really good clear pic, the best i could get!

lottie025.jpg

Interesting picture. I'm not looking at the bulge. I'm looking at the top back part of the lid. Can you see if on the edge of the lid toward the side away from the corner, is her lid rolled under just a bit?

Cause it looks to me like she has an entropion eye lid. And that can cause conjunctivitis and weepy eye and so on. It will also cause infection.

I don't know how old she is. When they are very young they can grow out of entropion lids sometimes.

With an entropion lid, part of the eye lid bulges out in appearance but what is really happening is part of the lid is rolled under on a semi permanent basis and when they open and shut the eye, the lashes scratch on the cornea and that is what causes the irritation of conjunctivitis or weepy eye.

You might want to pull back on her lid and see if part of it wants to turn under on the edge.

It sort of looks like it in the picture, but I can't really tell just from that.

weedflemishgiants wrote:
With an entropion lid, part of the eye lid bulges out in appearance but what is really happening is part of the lid is rolled under on a semi permanent basis and when they open and shut the eye, the lashes scratch on the cornea and that is what causes the irritation of conjunctivitis or weepy eye.

You might want to pull back on her lid and see if part of it wants to turn under on the edge.

It sort of looks like it in the picture, but I can't really tell just from that.

Just wondering where you got your information, as we love to have great info in our library!:) Thanks in advance!

I have a tiny bit ofexperience with Conjectivitis, unfortunately, it was due to Heart Failure in my opinon in the long run, in my bun's case though.:(

Oh that info came from my vet. the only bunny doctor in our county. LOL She just started practicing here about six months ago.

Subject came up cause of the story I told in my bunny blog. A baby ripped his eyelid apart with a toenail. Nothing but serious grief for that baby until he was old enough to have surgery in April.Now he is fine.

But she said the surgery she was going to perform on him would be just like the surgery for an entropion lid and showed me pictures.And then she told me all about entropion lids.

They are not all that common in rabbits but they do occur.

she said ectropion lids also occur where the lid turns out.

In either case the rabbit just has constant infections cause his lids don't close properly.

More common in cats and dogs and it is genetic.

OK i know i haven't updates anyone on this in a while, and i know its awful and that i should have booked her in ASAP but 'i didn't have time'. Which is like the worst excuse in the world, but she is booked in for Wednesday morning. What with William dying i just kept forgetting/putting it off which is awful.

She stil seems exactly the same. She's happy and generally healthy other than the sneezing and the eye problem, so at least it isn't 'urgent'.

I'll post whatever happens on Wednesday.

Just wishing you guys good luck for Wednesday!

And gosh, how expensive are your jabs? Ours are £15 each, so to do all 4 bunnies for both vaccinations is £120, but luckily their jabs come in at different times...

I hope it's nothing too serious and expensive!

Jen xx

Updates!

Just got back from the vet. I was really lucky, there are 2 good exotics vets at our clinic and i got the good one!

She looked at Lottie's eye, and came to the conclusion that the duct that runs from her nose to her eye is blocked (tear duct basically). So she took her behined the scenes and gave her a local anesthetic in order to try to flush the duct. Sadly Lottie was too naughty and they didn't manage to clear the duct that much. So i have been told to go back on Friday to leave her there for the day. A bit worried but i'm sure she willbe fine. I''ve been given antibiotics in the form of eye drops to use twice a day. Something called 'Tiacil'. She did also check her teeth inase shehad spurs that were blocking the duct but she said the teeth are worn down good so it is inlikely its that. She did however say she has a vitamin d deficiency (she has ridges on her teeth?) but i think that is probably because of lack of care from the previous owner, so she will be getting alot of hay pumped into her to try and get her vitamin d back up.

As for the sneezing she did say that it could be pasturella in the lungs, but it is more likely it is her way of trying to remove the gunk from her tube.

She did say that if she couldn't clear the duct i may have to be cleaning her with saline solution twice a day for life to prevent an abcess, but she ddi say that is unlikely as the duct should be able to be cleared, even if it takes a few different appointments.

She idn't charge me for today's consultation because she didn't manage to 'do' anything which i thought was nice. The trip on Friday will cost me around £45 and todays antibiotics cost me £35, so its not too bad.

Wish me luck! :clover:

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

Update!

I thought i should take a picture of her eye today. I can't tell if its really improved or not. Its bulging alot less, and the white part is gone, although it looks a little redder. I've been givingher 2 drops of Ticacil twice daily, although i may drop it down to 1, it says '1 or 2 drops' so what do you think i should give?

She is going back in tomorrow all day to have the tear duct flushed, and also i think she has worms so will have to have her dewormed tomorrow too.

lottieseye002.jpg

I love Lottie :hearts:. Here's to hoping tomorrow's appointment goes well and those nasty worms are taken care of!And also that they're able to completely flush her eye and make her "all better."

Thinking of you and Lottie today and tomorrow (and always) :pray:.

She's at the vets now, i won't be able to see her until i get back tonight which will probably be about 11... i hope she is doing OK! My Mum also said that she would pay for 1 of her jabs, so i can pay for her second jab in 2 weeks time when i will have been paid. So she may also have her Myxi or VHD today. I bet she will be angry with me!

Well, i don't know the full story here, because my Mum picked her up today and i was at a friends, and now i'm home my Mum has gone out. Lottie is home, but has to go back in on Monday :faint:. I don't really know why, maybe they didn't get to flush it properly or something. I only got a brief text from my mum who said..

'Got Lottie. Its not totally sorted so we've got some more stuff to give her in a syringe. Got to go back next Monday. £32 and they did her myxi for cheap'

So, they did her myxi jab which is good. Usually they are so expensive, my vet must really like me, after giving me a free consultation last week and now discounted myxi jab! I'm guessing they didn't manage to get the duct clear, or that they still have to do something. Dunno what yet :dunno. I went and checked her but she was sleeping so left her to it. I hope everything is fine, i will update you on the full story when i find out myself!

:) :hearts :brownbunny

I'm glad Lottie is home and resting - even if she has to go back in on Monday. Give her little nosey a rub from me :).

I hope everything sorts itself out. Keep us updated!

OK, i misunderstood my Mum. Lottie has to go back in in a weeks time. Not this Monday but the next.

She HATES the baytril and refuses to take it. In the end i had to squirt it all on some cauliflower and leave her to it because she won't let me get near her mouth at all. Even if i get my mum to hold her down and hold her head down too, she still jerks away!

Have you tried flavoring it with some juice or mixing it in applesauce? A friend of mine had good luck with her rabbit wrapping it in a craisin. Baytril tastes really nasty.

I did think about the juice actually, although the main problem is she is very funny about her mouth. Sometimes when i even 'offer' her vegetables, if i touch her lips she will jerk her head away. I'll try mixing it with some apple juice (we have a juicer so i can just do it myself, make sure there is nothing funny in it). Would you recommend still trying to feed the 'concotion' to her with a syringe or would it be best to put it in a bowl and let her drink it herself? If not i'll have to try find some other vegetables she likes and smother them in Baytril. You'd think they would just make it strawberry flavoured!

Latest posts

Back