Kazumi, Sebastian and Bonnie Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First as promised New Pictures!

qsmhbm.jpg

33wku3c.jpg

jg4743.jpg

23k7rjs.jpg

inzl7s.jpg

I will apologise ahead of time for the blurry pictures :)

So today I went shopping for both my bunz ^____^ I found a 50lbs bag of food at Pratts(the place I got sebastian) for only $15.00! Unfortunetly when I did go to Pratts I saw a horse troft full of rabbits again only they looked not in the best condition actually some looked like they had been rolling around in their own urine and some were so weak they let other rabbits lay/sit ontop of their heads and when I tried to pick from another rabbit it didnt struggle and it didnt want to sit up instead it went right back to its side. It was sad really and I wanted to take them all home but I was glad that I at least saved one from being in that condition or worse as what those rabbits were really for and thats food for another animal :( I just wish they took better care of those rabbits.

As for other things, I found a huge 50lbs bag of litter at a feed store not to far from me for only $10.00! I also had to pick it up. I also found a hanging food "trap" that I picked up and I plan on using it either for hay or for treats as they both get older :) I also went to Petsmart today to find a litter box since I have been talking about training them to use one, I picked up two since tomarrow I am picking up a spare cage for Kazumi and I do plan on seperating them probably tomarrow as well. That way they can have their own space and their own food, litter box, water bottle and wont have to worry about any territory issues. For the litter box(which is like a two level thing one is a little bar area where the rabbits sit to do their buisness and the bottom part hold the litter out of reach for the rabbits. I was told that Feline pine could be used for litter and I'm going to give that a shot, it smells nice and its non-toxic so I hope it works out.

So I can honestly say that I spoiled my rabbits alot today :) Lucky little bunz.

Hmmm, looks like you're using Pine Shavings on the bottom, yes? I think there's something about the pine mixing with the rabbit urine that can give off a toxin or something. I will have to look and come back if I find the post on it...be right back.

A few quotes:

FlopsnWills
like using aspen shavings because i know its not harmful to them and its pretty easy to find AND cheap. although, it can be a bit messy.. it sticks to their butts when they jump in their boxes and then jump out and i have to pick up their trail. BUT since i know its 100% safe, i like it. i tried feline pine, which is exactly like what you're using and its supposed to be 100% safe. i dont think either of my boys ate it, but charlie peed on the floor in protest because of the smell and william didnt use his box at all because of the smell. they both told me they were absolutely disgusted by it.. i also LOVE yesterday's news, but its just way too expensive for me,especially because they changed the price from $11 to $13 recently. heres the aspen shavings i get, i dont think you can buy them from oxbow, but rabbitstop.com sells both items
and

angieluv:
Initially I was really afraid of pine as I have readthat the pine and cedar shavings and chips interact with urine and can cause elevation of liver enzymes in bunnies.
another from angieluv:
Hi ..If anyone knows better please correctme....From my under standing pine shavings (available everywhere) that are not processed to remove the oil and have a strong aroma are very bad for hamsters and rabbits. With rabbits the urine interacts with the components in the shavings causing fumes that elevate the liver enzymes in the rabbit and also cause respiratory problems. This would occur over time not over night. In a hamster it would even be worse because they are enclosed in those little plastic cages and they are subjected to the fumes 100 fold. I have had hamsters in the distant past before anyone knew this and most of them died from some respiratory problem. I would only use pine shavings if it was for a short period of time. Am I right?
Carolyn's Response:
Yes, you are right, Angie. :) -Carolyn
just something to think about! :D

Huh. Didnt know that I was actually told at Petsmart that Pine Shavings were okay o_O

I don't have an issue with the pine shavings as a temporary thing, as long as you clean the cage often! I changed Toby's litter pan daily. I never put shavings on the floor of his cage. It was easier to clean. I just recently got him to take to Yesterday's News litter.

People at pet stores aren't very knowledgeable. They are normally trained by what their manager says, and a lot of the time, managers don't know best. Trust me, I've worked at two pet stores in the past (totaling about 2 years). They only know what they have heard in the past and don't do a lot of research.

:bunnyheart Awww your bunnies are sooooo cute!!! Sebastian looks so dreamy in those pics and Kazumi as always is too adorable!!

Lol, I meant to say that in my last post here but got distracted by the craigslist lady problem.

Diego is beautiful, I love his markings! Looks like he puts up with a lot from those bunns!:)

So I called around to find some place that sells some carefresh litter for cheap and the place I found is unfortunetly out until thursday but said they'd put some on hold for me :) So I'm cleaning everyones cage Daily..yes everyone has their own cage now. I got the other cages I was talking about and decided that it would be good that everyone had their own space :)

Btw Elf Mommy...You mean Your 3 Favorite bunnies ^_~

Meet: Bonnie

msdt9w.jpg

Now I went to Pratts today(the place I got sebastian) and I was looking for extra accessories and toys for Kazumi and Sebastain since I planed on seperating them into their own cage. But this ear piercing scream was all I could hear. I looked to see and this worker there was holding this rabbit by the scruff of her neck ONLY! The rabbit obviously didnt like this happening to her and was letting her know. I walked up strait to the worker and snatched the rabbit out of her hand. She gave me this trange look and I just simply asked her what she was thinking she was doing! And informed her that the rabbit could of snaped its neck when it was thrashing around! The employee gave me a look and told me that it really wouldnt mater since she was going to be put aside to be picked up later for snake food!!! Disgusted with the employee and obviously getting angry I shook my head and gave her my debit card. My roomate was there with me and couldnt believe how disrespectful the employee was towards the rabbit and I was just wanting to get out of there and save this little girl. I know that the employee will probably only pick another rabbit and it makes me sad about it but I am just glad I could at least save one life. As soon as I got my debit card back I told her that she had lost a customer and that I will be writting to their corprate on how they treated this little girl!

As you can see Kazumi, Sebastian, andBonnie gets along fine. Unknown seems to of grasped what has happened and has been doing binkies around the house and giving sweet little kisses. So I have three cages and now three bunnies. I called the spay and neuter clinic today and I can set up an apointment for everyone in about 4 months :) That way I can get everyone done at once and its only going to be really cost friendly.

The cages :) *Note the litter will be gone once the new litter comes in by this thursday*

29qfku8.jpg

2hs5au1.jpg

2cr3gax.jpg

P.S. I'm overdue on a binkie video :) So I'll be trying to catch everyone in action ^_^

P.S.S. I dont know what kind of rabbitBonnie is and I'm trying to figure it out any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

Oh wow what sad story but happy ending for that little girl. I can't believe that little baby was to be snake food that's a horrible thing to tell someone. Some people just don't know to handle rabbits. The poor being handled by it's neck.

I'm happy that you got her and didn't end of being food.

Oh yah. Noname is such a cutie. Sorry I'm not very good with names.

OMG She's sooo cute! Look at those ears!
I'm so glad you saved her! Poor girl. :( Now she'll be loved for the rest of her life! :D

I might have to put yours on my bunny nap list. They are just wayy to adorable!

Okay so I have been doing my research on the net and I think I have come to the conclusion of what type of rabbit Bonnie is and I think she is a Broken Havana Rabbit. She'll get just a little bit bigger than Sebastian and Kazumi by a pound or two so its not that bad. Bonnie has been doing well and loves being out of her cage(so much I have to chase her to put her back in for the night) I'm actually suprised how everyone is getting along and how well Kazumi and Sebastian welcomed her in...especially Kazumi since she get protective of everyone but I think seperating everyone into their own cage helped with that.

Anyways. Thanks everyone for the compliments :) I really appreciate them ^_^ I'll keep everyone posted on Bonnie, Kazumi and Sebastian.

That is exactly why Will won't let me go to pet stores that have animals in them! I am only allowed in the ones that have no animals, whatsoever. :p

She's adorable! :D She has the same markings that my Toby had when he was little. His faded (got smaller) when he got older, but he still has them. :)

So today I havent been feeling the greatest perhaps its due to lack of sleep but I have been able to get a couple cute pictures of my bunz today :) I also got a few video's ^_^

Start with the pictures, sorry if some are really blurry..today they just didnt want to hold still. XD

Sebastian

aomcg8.jpg

I love this picture of Sebastian

1zfhsfo.jpg

Kazumi

2uhy1qq.jpg

This one was like trying to take a family portrait and the kids wouldnt sit still long enough!

9tefio.jpg

The first shot of Bonnie Holding still but Kazumi couldnt wait for just a second to move

2mxq2gw.jpg

Bonnie Nose :)

6t3cs8.jpg

I need to wait on the video's but they'll be worth it :) I have one that has been completely uploaded your welcome to watch :)

Kazumi, Sebastian, and Bonnie playing around getting used to eveyones cage :) This is Bonnies first time out playing.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/T0X73EDAFSs&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Aww I'm so glad you rescued her! I can't believe she was going to be snake food! :(

Your buns are gorgeous! :)

Make sure you take lots of Easter photos this year! Your babies will never be that size again! :( It's sad, but they are still adorable full-sized. There's just something about baby bunnies squished into a basket that makes the holiday a bit more adorable. (I don't condone people getting "Easter bunnies", but you got yours ahead of time, so you're OK :)). That video is precious! :D

I would put something up on top of the cages if Kazumi likes going up there. She could get her foot stuck. I mention that because when my Toby was little, he did the same thing. I came home to find him hanging from the top of his cage by his back foot! No injuries though, just five years off of my life from shock!

Your babies are just too cute! There should be a law against that much cuteness in one household! :p

Latest posts

Back